tntmo

Considering KTM 950....is this a deal or no?

For whatever reason, I love project motorcycles.  This has caught my eye and I'm set up to take a look at it soon.  I believe it is a good deal, but I don't know anything about the big KTM's.  What would make this a deal breaker, or what makes this worth my time?

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2004-ktm-950-adventure-los-angeles-ca.1212480/#post-31866044

I think it MAY be a good deal...price a rebuild, just in case.

Wow seems like a fun easy project if thats whats wrong with it. I would say tops for resale would be maybe 4500 if thats you plan. Too bad color is fugly 

1 minute ago, Bp619 said:

Wow seems like a fun easy project if thats whats wrong with it. I would say tops for resale would be maybe 4500 if thats you plan. Too bad color is fugly 

That's what I figured, $4k ballpark for what it's worth running.  Some semi-gloss black Krylon Fusion should spice it up a bit, no?  

14 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Just get it all dirty and scratched up (like mine is), then who cares about the color !

12 minutes ago, tntmo said:

That's what I figured, $4k ballpark for what it's worth running.  Some semi-gloss black Krylon Fusion should spice it up a bit, no?  

Yup i dont know part thats wrong  how it goes in but ive done a dozen or so automotive stuck pulleys and bearings. Weld 2 or 3 bolts to them heats it up in process and use a slide hammer  alsways gets job done

That's a good plan, I was thinking to drill/tap it out to 22x1.5 and try using the next larger size flywheel puller tool along with some generous heat.  

Seller seems like he is being honest about the situation. Might be worth taking a chance on it. These bikes are fun as heck so if it works out, you won't be sorry.

The early flywheels had no Key as I remember. Some spun. Check on a new used flywheel before you dig into it.  Mabey someone put locktite on it ?? Too bad it is striped ! 

22 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

That bike could be parted out for more than 2.5k if you couldn't get it running.

cid

That's the kind of info I was also looking for, thanks.  I'm going up on Saturday to get it, 99% certain.  Oh, I should tell the lady.

9 hours ago, tntmo said:

I'm going up on Saturday to get it, 99% certain.  Oh, I should tell the lady.

Oh, c'mon, Tom, just mix it in with the other bikes. She won't even notice it there...

10 hours ago, tntmo said:

That's the kind of info I was also looking for, thanks.  I'm going up on Saturday to get it, 99% certain.  Oh, I should tell the lady.

Maybe I'll go up Friday and beat you to it... 

It's the same color as the Tiger - she won't notice.  Or blame it on bikeslut and say it's his bike - easiest scapegoat ever

Yes, perfect for Tom. I think the bike is worth a lot more that 4 if it's set up and running. Can imagine getting the flywheel off to be a big deal, once one decides to replace it.

And the bike itself is great- you'll want to keep it.

Just now, paulmbowers said:

And the bike itself is great- you'll want to keep it.

His latte consumption will increase dramatically

Starbucks.jpg

Regarding the road rash, after some clean up work you can put a different sticker kit on it and change the entire appearance of the bike.  There are a bunch available on the interwebz.  

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Got it.  Now, which Starbucks do I hang out at and which fancy drink should I order?  Also, since it's already broken I'm fitting in pretty well with the KTM crowd.

All jokes aside, James (previous owner) was a really great guy and almost had a tear in his eye as I loaded the bike up.  It's pretty much stock and has some miles/scratches on it but should be a good machine I hope.

Sweet....once you get her running hopefully you can do a big bike Monday Funday.

No automatic alt text available.

Already got halfway through the issue, the flywheel is off.  The guy gave me the flywheel puller (which was stripped out on the end) and a nice quality tap.  I cut the stripped threads off the puller using my grinder with a cutoff wheel, and then beveled it a bit.  Then I ran the tap into the flywheel to try to clean up what remained of the threads.  I threaded the puller into the flywheel, heated it up with my small oxy/MAPP torch and then tapped the puller with a brass hammer and the flywheel fell off into my hands.  HOT!!!  

Might be running tonight?

That's awesome.

I snapped my 14mm allen driver last night during the flywheel torque procedure, so had to go buy one today and finish that.  Got it all buttoned up, installed the battery and put in some fuel.  The bike started up after a few seconds of cranking.  

I'm getting some fuel leaking from a large clear hose by the front sprocket, but I still took it for a spin around the neighborhood.  Runs really good in my opinion but doesn't keep idling all the time.

Stuck float?  I guess I'll see how much of a pain it is to take the carbs out pretty soon, but for now I'm pleased with this purchase.