Bagstr

Diablo Canyon Campout - April 1 - No Joke!

@ 95%

My eyes are mostly open again after taking out a big bush last weekend which turned out to be poison oak. It won!

I plan on riding from  El Cajon 10 am to be at trailhead at 12;00

99% in.  

Probably going to leave Descanso around 1:00 pm if anyone else is riding out that late.

Anyone else able to bring fuel?  We may have 4 guys riding down.  The weather looks good -  

Full Speed Ahead!!   110%

I think some nite riding would be fun. I might come by and see how you're doin.

11 hours ago, wildwood said:

99% in.  

Probably going to leave Descanso around 1:00 pm if anyone else is riding out that late.

Wildwood

Your timing works better for me. Name the place and I will meet you @1 ish

Hey governor, good rally up. Thanks.  I am on emergency call this weekend and doubt your wilderness campsite has regular cell reception, unless you know otherwise. Unfortunately, also not confident with linking a satellite phone to regular cell.  However, to get my bike fix, I still might ride out from El cajon just the see the camp spot and then back simply for a wander about.  Anyone riding with SDAR Ham radios?  Since overnight for me not likely, Maybe I should pack a few brews (or a wood log or two if you have a mini metal container) instead of tents/bags to leave at the camp site (if no emergency calls and I can make it out there).   cheers. 

Wildwood, down to banner to oriflame still?

23 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Wildwood, down to banner to oriflame still?

Or the shorter way.

I don't mind going though Julian, since the Nickle Brewery opened up.  They serve some tasty suds, & I haven't been there in a while. And we can get gas.

I was going to see what Kiwi Wayne was up for.  I think we're going to hook up somewhere around Descanso @ 1:00pm

This is both my knobby's last run, so a little more pavement is no big for me.  

Radio with me:  146.505 -   Standard SDAR frequency

Everyone appears to be on a different schedule.  I will see a few at the trailhead @ noon.  Everyone else @ the Top of Diablo.

Those that are riding in from the north:  If you know the area, you can ride in from the pavement onto Vallecito Wash near Canebrake, turn north on Tapiado and use the cut across to Diablo. 

Wildwood

I am open to anything. Bringing 650L cause its good on street and has 6 gal tank. been down oriflamme plenty on it. I would think closest gas to trailhead would be Ocotillo on the 8 but its a bit of a boring slab over the hill. unless you planning on the shortcut which I guess would be back toward Julian?

Pick a place to meet.

12 hours ago, Kiwi Wayne said:

Wildwood

Pick a place to meet.

Ok, let's say 79 / Descanso exit Park-N-Ride @ 1pm

Edit 04-01-17 10:21am:

Wayne, I'll swing by the park-n-ride @ 1pm just in case some lurkers show up there, since I posted last nite Then

go to meet @ Perkins Store, Descanso 1:05pm 

See you guys at the campsite. Heading out from Esco.about 2 PM 

Ah heck, missed the wildwood train due to work, and may still need to be on call tonight. Regardless, I think I will still load the orange bike (for the first time), target Diablo Canyon from Gillespie Field, and unload as if to stay overnight, and then pack up as if I did.  The practice will be good for this summer's Backcountry Discovery Routes.  If I go to garage now at 1:20 and pack bike, ETD at 2 (Gillespie)  and ETA (Diablo) before dark (might be a long ride home, but all good. I'll check just before 2 to see if anyone else had last minute thoughts to go.  Cheers.