I had to pull some strings, move a few things around in my schedule and even make some promises to the wife in order to set up a weekend ride only to find out that it was cancelled due to a wind forecast.  Well, I'm not afraid of some wind.....the "A" in SDAR stands for Adventure and I was down for some.  Plus I had already filled up the flask with Captain Morgan Cannon Blast, so there was no turning back.  Bike is packed up, ready to go.

I met up with my friend Justin Saturday morning and we were off.  We took Old Hwy 80, cut through Alpine and on to Viejas Grade road.  Stopped at Descanso Junction for some grub.  We jumped on Pine Hills Road up to Sunrise Hwy, fun stuff out there.

Image may contain: motorcycle and outdoor

We rode through Julian and onto Rodriguez for a while.  Ran into an ex.

Image may contain: outdoor

We were considering doing the proposed trip, but decided that going north would be more fun so we back-tracked and got on Banner Grade to Wynola Road, 78 and then onto Black Canyon Rd.  It's nice to see all the water flowing there, lots of small water falls.  From there to Mesa Grande, onto the 79 and no gas available in Warner Springs.   Looks like there's a station about to open there, but we had to go past it to Sunshine Summit.  

Image may contain: one or more people, motorcycle, outdoor and nature

Once again back-tracking, we took Lost Valley Road past the camp ground and then onto Puerta la Cruz Truck Trail.  

Image may contain: motorcycle, outdoor and nature

This eventually turns into Cooper Cienga Trail.  Several miles down that road, we took a side trail and found a great place to call it a day.

Image may contain: tree, motorcycle, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

There was no wind....amazing!  We enjoyed a few MRE's and some Captain.  It didn't seem too cold, I stayed warm in the tent but woke up to plenty of frost.

No automatic alt text available.

Made some warm drinks and finished up the food from last night and then got to exploring.  Lots of nice side trails out there with some rocky hill climbs which paid off with beautiful views.  Found a couple old mines, saw turkeys and deer....pretty much a great day riding.

Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, sky, motorcycle, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: motorcycle, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, motorcycle, tree, outdoor and nature

Almost 300 miles of dual sport fun.  I don't get a chance to get out and do this kind of stuff all the time so try to make the most of it when an opportunity is available.  See y'all on the trail, my friends!

Nicely done.

Way to go, looks like a good adventure.  Thanks for the write up and pics!

Nicely done reminds me im overdue for a sporadic adventure

Right on, Tom. Thanks for reminding us of that A in SDAR.

18 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Nicely done reminds me im overdue for a sporadic adventure

x2