Sign in to follow this  
skincer

Dual Sport Versus Adventure Bikes

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I think I just learned something that never occurred to me for some reason.  I've been reading a bunch of stuff about dual sport bikes and people going on long riding trips and it's beginning to sound like there is a distinction between dual sport bikes and adventure bikes, with dual sport bikes being smaller and easier to handle on trails and "adventure bikes" being bigger and more comfortable on the road.  Is this a commonly accepted distinction?

Pretty much.  I have one dual sport (Husky TE450) and one adventure bike(Triumph Tiger 955).   There are some bikes that bridge the gap between the two better, like a KLR650/DR650 is a bigger dual sport that does ok on road trips and the KTM 950/990 series that does good off road.  

I wouldn't be willing to do a week of 500 mile days on my Husky and I'd never take my Tiger into single track trails.  Some people have been known to do crazy stuff on bikes like that, but not I.  

Yup, dual sports are like drz400 all smaller ktm, sized bikes advebture bikes start as small as a suzuki dr650 then bump up to like ktm 950/950 and up to 1290.

Simple way is under 550ish cc and 300isb lbs is dual sport over is adventure bikes with a couple in between bikes like klrs, dr650 and ktm husky 690

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Yup, dual sports are like drz400 all smaller ktm, sized bikes advebture bikes start as small as a suzuki dr650 then bump up to like ktm 950/950 and up to 1290.

Simple way is under 550ish cc and 300isb lbs is dual sport over is adventure bikes with a couple in between bikes like klrs, dr650 and ktm husky 690

Interesting take. My take is a little different. I definitely don't consider Suzuki Dr650 an Adventure bike. I consider it, and Honda 650's, and KTM 690R's, etc, as dual sport (or enduros in the old days) bikes. Aside from being bigger, and more road worthy, I generally don't consider many bikes Adventure bikes unless they have more than one cylinder. NOT saying I'm right...just a way that I've looked at it.

For example:

KTM 530 EXC = dual sport

KTM 950 Adventure = Adventure bike.

14 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Interesting take. My take is a little different. I definitely don't consider Suzuki Dr650 an Adventure bike. I consider it, and Honda 650's, and KTM 690R's, etc, as dual sport (or enduros in the old days) bikes. Aside from being bigger, and more road worthy, I generally don't consider many bikes Adventure bikes unless they have more than one cylinder. NOT saying I'm right...just a way that I've looked at it.

For example:

KTM 530 EXC = dual sport

KTM 950 Adventure = Adventure bike.

Thats what at the end said then there's ones in between 

Adventure Bike is simply a North American marketing ploy to sell cappuccino sipping / mineral water drinking mid-life crisis-ers overweight piggy street bikes  :ph34r:

Also known as BMW's...:heh: