Hey guys first time posting. I know I'm a little late but Ive been searching for a gpx file that would take us from tecate or la rumerosa through the pine forest and down to ojos or valle de t. We leave Friday morning and Our final destination is actually San Felipe. So any recommendations are appreciated. There are about 6 of us on dual sport bikes with around 3 gallons of fuel. Most of us have been to Baja many times and are somewhat familiar with the landmarks we just haven't been in a while and would prefer to not go in blind since we will be on a bit of a time crunch and are unsure of current conditions after the recent weather.  Thanks!

You can take Compadre Trail down to Ojos -- pretty straightforward and best way if you think you'll be tight on time.  I normally take the 2D toll road to El Hongo exit to pick up Compadre

https://goo.gl/maps/ah7perVxBEo

This website is helpful to convert a google maps link into GPX file.  Just leave everything blank and enter the google maps link in the field that says "Or provide the URL of a file on the Web: "

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

Awesome thanks. We took compadre last year in the trucks and it was very straight forward. We're riding for my buddies 30th and his one request other than tacos and beer was to ride through the pine forest haha so I'm hoping someone has a route already into the pine forest off compadre or just coming from la rumerosa and thanks for the conversion help that will come in handy

Also leaving Friday for San Felipe, via Tecate. I'll keep my eyes open for you guys. We'll be riding two blue 2015 WR450's. -Eric

i will try to get something to you.  i am busy right now. sorry 

You don't want to slab from Tecate to La Rumorosa, that's boring.  Since your goal is San Felipe (and I assume the bars in SF), you'll have to judge time spent up north.  If you leave late and/or go slow you could potentially use up valuable party time.  6 guys is a decent size group to keep track of as well. 

Where are you staying in SF?  Any nights at Mikes Sky Rancho? 

You can gas in Ojos and San Felipe

2 hours ago, Vagabundo said:

Also leaving Friday for San Felipe, via Tecate. I'll keep my eyes open for you guys. We'll be riding to blue 2015 WR450's. -Eric

Sounds good we have 2 ktm 525's 2 hondas and 2 huskies

53 minutes ago, kkug said:

i will try to get something to you.  i am busy right now. sorry 

Great thank you

40 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

You don't want to slab from Tecate to La Rumorosa, that's boring.  Since your goal is San Felipe (and I assume the bars in SF), you'll have to judge time spent up north.  If you leave late and/or go slow you could potentially use up valuable party time.  6 guys is a decent size group to keep track of as well. 

Where are you staying in SF?  Any nights at Mikes Sky Rancho? 

You can gas in Ojos and San Felipe

We're staying at eldorado we should be at a pretty good pace and we are in town until Monday so bars are not urgent. Our wives are all driving down ahead of us so they will have cold drinks ready for us. We might ride to msr on sat or Sunday and considering gonzaga bay one day. I am worried about pre runner traffic this weekend too!

Here you go try  this .Let me know if it works for you. I am not computer literete so you are on your own. Ride at your own risk, use comon sense, their may be changes , This may not be true to form . Study this be for useing this. Reference only. good luck. Enjoy your ride . Be safe , Stay to the right side. Watch for trafic at any spot on this ride 

Dana Ride.gdb

13 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

I was just about to post the same file as Kug..........with many of the same caveats :rolleyes:;):lol:

You can also snag gas in Valle T before heading across the dry lake bed to San Felipe......good tacos a block down from the Pemex station

I added a stretch of active track from my recent February trip........the attached ribbon runs between the Mike's turn-off on Hwy 3 and San Felipe........we skirted the lakebed when we left San Felipe towards Mike's due to heavy rain the day before.........tried to stay on more major dirt roads to the greatest extent possible to avoid the quick sand out on the lakebed.....if you stay on the hwy 3 pavement longer before swinging a right you can avoid the whoops along the powerline trail that lead to the major dirt road......they're pretty significant.....though the lakebed may be dry enough now to stay west of my active track........use it as more of a bailout.......

Mike's turnoff to San Felipe.gpx

13 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

I added a stretch of active track from my recent February trip........the attached ribbon runs between the Mike's turn-off on Hwy 3 and San Felipe........we skirted the lakebed when we left San Felipe towards Mike's due to heavy rain the day before.........tried to stay on more major dirt roads to the greatest extent possible to avoid the quick sand out on the lakebed.....if you stay on the hwy 3 pavement longer before swinging a right you can avoid the whoops along the powerline trail that lead to the major dirt road......they're pretty significant.....though the lakebed may be dry enough now to stay west of my active track........use it as more of a bailout.......

I took the lake bed cut over to San Felipe 2 weekends ago -- all good! 

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

I was just about to post the same file as Kug..........with many of the same caveats :rolleyes:;):lol:

You can also snag gas in Valle T before heading across the dry lake bed to San Felipe......good tacos a block down from the Pemex station

Thanks for the help guys! Is there anywhere to fuel between el hongo and valle de t on kugs route? It looks like it's about 140 miles and I'm thinking that's going to cut it close on fuel range for us? We're all on around 3 gallons. I was thinking worst case we could deviate a little and run into ojos to top off if need be. 

We will probably run the wash out if it's clear to San Felipe like sleep says and I'll keep the bailout handy

do any of you carry octane booster for the Pemex or it hasn't been much of an issue?

You can get milk jug gas out of a shack at the Saw Mill if you don't want to chance it:

https://goo.gl/maps/amj3qKRXmtL2

No issues with the gas I don't carry octane booster.  The gas there is ethanol free and I've had no issues with questionable octane. 

I do run the Zip ty fuel filter: https://ziptyracing.com/products/quick-disconnect-fuel-filter

kvans I thought I sent a message but I guess I did not .All infro is in the post.

10 hours ago, kkug said:

kvans I thought I sent a message but I guess I did not .All infro is in the post.

Thanks kkug! I got it downloaded and spent a couple hours inserting pace notes last night. Should work out perfect! 

On 4/14/2017 at 2:18 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Where's the ride report!

Sorrry for the delay its been a crazy month! 

so here it goes....

We had a total of 11 people headed to San Felipe. 6 of us on bikes, 2 ktms 2 Hondas and 2 huskys. the rest were our wive's and a couple other friends riding in the trucks down through Mexicali on the 2d. one of the Hondas and the 2 huskys came in another truck that they left at the border. we all met at the Pemex at the edge of tecate and unloaded the remaining bikes and geared up. we wished the girls a safe drive and hit the road around 830am Friday morning. we headed out on the highway to el Hongo Pemex, topped off, and hit the compadre trail head right out side of el Hongo. the route we took was the route Kug sent me earlier in this thread. it was a great route. there was one ranch we went through that had no motos posted but we could see the other end of the ranch and were too far in to turn back so we just respectfully rode through. we had one rider more experienced with the area but had never been on the route we had been and was a little nervous at times because he was unfamiliar but eventually that subsided. So a big thank you to Kug for the route!! the first route we took that made Ryan (the experienced one) nervous was a right turn about 10 miles in on compadre that seemed to be just a side route the reconnected with compadre about 5 miles later. this got deem'd the "Kenny Trail" because it was unfamiliar territory and probably one of the more fun trials we hit all day. it was just wide enough for a rzr to fit down in most areas, trenches, holes, water crossings, lots of deep whoops and trees. I posted a link of some raw footage on youtube of this trail ill link to below! (its not the greatest, it was shot with my old GoPro hero with a fogging lens) so the "Kenny Trail" was a blast and got everyone warmed up and ready for more adventure. I should also mention it was about 50 deg when we left tecate but was finally starting to warm up. we made it another 20 miles or so starting our ascent into the pine forest and my clutch started to get soft so we stopped and everyone was able to shred off their jackets while I fixed the clutch. It lost some fluid but I got it all back in working order. Danny who you will hear more about shortly, is the birthday boy, and also my pack mule haha. I'm a mechanic by trade and he's not very mechanically inclined so back when we started off in the adventure riding we made a pact that since I had to fix anything that broke he would carry the majority of the gear. works out great for me and he's 6'6" so he has plenty of storage space! so we head out back on the trail and I had strapped my sweatshirt to my tail bag, which ended up being both a bad and good idea. about 15 miles later someone called out on the radio that the sweatshirt had ended up falling off and they were stopping to grab it, so I stopped and we regrouped. well while I was resecuring the sweatshirt danny had noticed that he left his tailbag open where two of the bike registrations and a majority of the more crucial tools were. he opened it to give me the screwdriver to fix my clutch. so he backtracked and about an hour later shows back up with to our surprise everything but 1 wrench. he said there was about a mile trail of tools and stuff, the first item being the registration right where we took off. so now we were starting to be concerned about daylight because we were only about 40 miles in to our 230 mile trip and it was around 1130. so we pick up the pace and most of the roads from there were faster fire type roads. about 70 miles in right as we were around laguna Hanson my bike strikes again and starts making an attrocious noise from the bottom end when im in gear and rolling, most likely one of the countershaft bearings Is my best guess, ill let you know when I get it torn down. despite the terrible noises we trekked on, the pine forest was everything we had hoped it would be, the lake seemed full, lots of puddles for carving around and running through for another 20 miles or so until we made it to sawmil. we debated pushing on to ohos for fuel but decided with the time crunch we should fuel up with the milk jug gas and motor on to Valle de T. given our location I was taking it easy on my bike hoping just to at least make it to Valle de T. which seemed far fetched but it actually made it all the way to san Felipe on its own power! So moving on, we head out of sawmil, enjoying the scenery and with all the recent rains it was great! we learned that Dannys limit is around 150 miles, I'm sure that the extra gear didn't help and he had bought new boots that we cutting off circulation to his feet and causing extreme discomfort. he wiped out in a rain rut at one point around the 100 mile mark and it was all down hill from there for him, he wiped out again around the 130 mile mark on a perfectly hard , clean, and easy corner. no major injuries just a little road rash. so now we were limping both my bike and dandy to the end. luckily like I said everything was pretty smooth and open so we were able to carry speed, up until right outside of Valle de T we went down " the goat trail" and Danny definitely wasn't a fan of that!  but he made it down eventually and finally we made it to our "lunch stop" for tacos at el rancho's at 4pm!  Danny wes and I toke the highway into san Felipe and the other 3 took the wash down to marelli junction on the race course. we all arrived in san Felipe around 7pm. all in all it was a great day and we can't wait to do it again! ryan and the the other two guys that were in the truck that was left at the border ended up riding every day we were there, one day to Gonzaga bay, mikes sky ranch the next and then back to tecate on monday. as they loaded the bike in the truck they had 980 miles on the clock!! crazy! our route on Friday was 230 on the dot. I will try to post the link for the video and a couple pictures later on today. thanks again for everyone that helped me put this ride together! overall Dannys 30th was a success!! Danny has since decided he needed different boots  and has reported both of his big toe nails have fallen off!

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2935 2.PNG

IMG_2936.PNG

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

Edited by kvans525
pictures and link added

Nice report!  Toenails falling off is no joke!  Did you ever tear down your motor?

2 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Nice report!  Toenails falling off is no joke!  Did you ever tear down your motor?

Unfortunately I haven't even had time to wash the bike yet. I have been nonstop since we got back and no light at the end of the tunnel still! ?