MacDuncan

route suggestions between Winterhaven and Calexico-plus

For those of you who have played in the area south of glamis, and/or those who have adventure biked west from Ogilby or Winterhaven area, do you have any suggestions, routes, or pdf pics of route options to connect the dots (the least amount of asphalt possible if it exists, and using routes near hiway 78 and hiway 98 as east/west loop pieces)?  

I would like to stage near ocotillo, head east-ish.....  to do a loop to include the colorado river going north or south (picacho side or Fisher side) , counter clockwise or clockwise,  and then wander back to Ocotillo (eventually Borrego Springs too).  I would likely ride across the Yuha basin as part of the loop, cruise along farmland and canals, etc...  and although I used to be a soft sand 3 wheeler rider near Buttercup and Glamis in my earlier days, I have never connected Calexico to Yuma. Plaster to superstition to El Centro is good, but don't know if a dirt route exists from Brawley to Glamis to Walter's Camp or Palo Verde.   

I will wander and get lost exploring, so no worries, but if you know that I would be better off following some specific dirt roads, or 50 feet from the border all the way, or a specific canal road to avoid mega soft sand, or closed land due to endangered species/military/private farms.........  it would be appreciated.  Eventually, I want to create  my own BDR (backcountry discovery route) across the state using latitude 32 and 33 - ish :) .  Thanks. Cheers. 

I take this is a little bike adventure.  I've been casing a very similar route/ride recently.  I think from Winterhaven I would go west on Sidewinder across Oglby Rd., then skirt along the Freeway through the sand to the west side of Gordons Well.  From there you could continue west to the Route 98 turn off, which looks like a fast connection to the canal road.  I don't see any other route down south that would be mostly dirt, other than the canal.  But it will take you right to Evan Hewes Hwy at Dunaway Rd.  It looks like about 45 mi. that way.  Not the most spectacular route, but if it get's you A to B on dirt, not the worst.

If there's some other dirt route, I'll be staying tuned.  

Wildwood, I wish I was in vegas and could have placed a bet that you would offer insights, I would have won!   Thanks, I know you have wandered that area..... You once told me about heading out to some towers near ogilby... and I wondered if there was a harder dirt road than soft dunes to get the the west side of the dunes from that area...... and I  was hoping one direction would be a zip zam zoom right along the border near Calexico all the way to almost yuma....  I'll wait to see if others have wandered that way, or I will go look myself.  

There are several routs to take but a few sections I would take black top just to avoid canal banks.  What bike would you use for the adventure? 

As part of my Beach to River ride we rode from Calexico to Yuma on mostly dirt roads.

From Calexico headed east on Birch Rd; Birch will curve off to the Northeast, stay straight east on the farm road until you get to the canal. Follow the canal southeast to Anza Rd. Cross the canal and then get bank on the canal road and ride the north side of the canal until you get to the hydro dam with the houses (you're following on Google maps right?). From there take the power line road until Gordon Well area. Get lunch at Duner's Diner. Then ride the north side of the canal or edge of the dunes to Ogilby Rd. Cross Ogilby and pick up the power line Rd again. That will take you to Sidewinder Rd where you'll cross I-8 and get gas.

Thanks Beta 450, I would likely pack up an orange 525 for this route. On this bike, more dirt is more fun. 

Thanks PastaPilot, Hell, so much for my "horizontal BDR" thought, or my "Latitude loop" - haha, there is already a Beach to River Ride.  Thanks, I rode along Goggle earth with your descriptors, Nice, and thanks.  

On 3/21/2017 at 5:03 PM, MacDuncan said:

Wildwood, I wish I was in vegas and could have placed a bet that you would offer insights, I would have won!   Thanks, I know you have wandered that area..... You once told me about heading out to some towers near ogilby... and I wondered if there was a harder dirt road than soft dunes to get the the west side of the dunes from that area...... and I  was hoping one direction would be a zip zam zoom right along the border near Calexico all the way to almost yuma....  I'll wait to see if others have wandered that way, or I will go look myself.  

Laughs :lol: 

So Sidewinder is a good connection from Winterhaven to Oglby, If you want better dirt road you could head north up Ted Kipf Rd. to Glamis.  I think their is going to be a sand section if you stay off road though, you can head west at Glamis along the sand hwy and get to 115 along the side of the road trail (and when you've had enough, jump on the pavement) From there, I think it would be a maze of field roads.  

IMG_0950.JPGRidden the area a lot. 

I always aim for the deepest sand and steepest most difficult route. 

Paddle tire highly recommended for the most smiles in that zone. 

But not mandatory. 

IMG_0564.JPG