Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

Toy hauler questions

I'm looking at getting a small toy hauler in the next month or so.  I'm looking at 20' or shorter, I already have a storage space that cheap but only 20'.  Beyond this, spaces seem to get pretty pricey.  And ther is only 3 of us and I'm not looking at carrying a side by side or buggy.  Just a couple bikes.  

I grew up with my folks having pop ups and old travel trailers.  Never dealt with toy haulers before.  Anything in particular I need to look at with these?  Do they tend to leak more due to the back ramp?  Anything I should run away from if I see it?  I kind of like the idea of the hybrids with the pop out beds.  Seems like it's easier then the bed that lifts that most have.  Should I be worried about the ramp hinges?  Any questions toy hauler specific I should be asking?

I have owned several over the years. I'm unaware of problems associated with the rear door for the most part. Some will have water damage on the front clip, as a result of water entering the interior were the roof and front clip meet up.

Water damage would be the main thing to look for. Inspect the inside walls for water damage. Also look under the chasis and make sure the springs are not broken and there are no frame breaks.

Weekend Warriors had significant water damage issues, FYI....

Yup pretty much all toy haulers have similar travel trailer problems weight specs off and everything plastic or a seal goes or needs attention after 10years or so in sun.

I know the weekend warrior superlite models had horrible weight rating specs were way off and ever backhalf of trailers would break frame welds. Besides those all are built as far as i know to similar specs and designs especially in smaller sized class.

Is the rental space 20'?  If so, make sure to include the tongue in your measurements. I had an 18' Carson, one of the most basic toyhaulers. I bought it used and it saw limited duty. No issues, but they are basically a house, with the same systems - so there is upkeep of course.

I like full hard sided units with not pop out, as the pop outs are noisier in the wind.

Happy hunting!

Older Weekend Warriors tend to leak in the front right or left top corner as the roof goes under the front construction and water tends to drain to the corners. They also had issue with the early "lite" framed models. Every model or brand with have some little or big issues, a few on the more grander scale like the WW "lites". Lots of trailer can end up leaking. Mine did and I had the top resealed and all.

If there is a trick, it's find one that... is what do the say "sorted out" . Somebody used it but took care of it.

WW is the only brand I know, it was a move up from a tent trailer. Mine is actually a WW FC 17, and I really like it. It worked well for my daughter, nephew and I when we all used to go to the desert. It's only 17' (they say about 20 +) but can sleep up to four nicely. Only thing it doesn't have is a built in generator or gas tank and I'm fine with that. Even though it is only a 17' it was build on heavy duty frame with clean, grey and black water tanks. Has dual porcelain sink, oven, 3 burner stove and oven. A lot now don't have ovens, but microwaves, micro-convection. I like an oven, camping pizza is great :)

My up top bed is on a kind of spring loaded thing, not the easiest but works fine in reality. FK is Front Kitchen which makes for good counter space. All the $$$ and effort to camp in a little comfort, I going cook good things to eat.

If you are getting used good to check or have checked the brakes and bearings. Check the tires...lack of use, sun and years are not good for them. I had to replace mine recently. 

With a small trailer you will probably find toilet shower combo's in some, I have that. We only use the shower and not the toilet, never really boondocked. Ocotillo Wells, Borrego Springs, Campgrounds are nice that way.

I understand some of the loading doors have gotten smaller and lighter, this one is a big sturdy one. Weight distribution hitch is good. Watch towing weight for tow vehicle and have a sense of the loaded (water, propane, supplies, bikes) weight of the trailer. They used to say 1/2 could tow X but with some trailers loaded it was a stretch. We used to haul 2 mid sized quads and and a dirt bike.

All Cleaned Up

Trailer_1-27-03_002.jpg

January camping trip to Borrego  :)

100_2752.JPG

The one thing i would suggest is to look at several before you buy.  You will see a lot of different layout and features. Some that look good but lack real functionality.  Keep your eyes open.  There are some out good ones out there that people bought when the economy was booming that have been sitting. Check the tires. Look for the code date often on the inboard side of the tire.  They may look low miles but be several years old.  Look for 4 digit code assuming its not made before 2000.  5107 means made in the 51st month of 2007.  If getting close to 8-10years old factor the cost of tires into the price.  

Went to Tulsa Oklahoma this year and bought a 2017 wolf pup 17ft toy hauler for  10500 new.it hauls 3 bikes or one bike and a quad and has 2 beds and only weighs 2900 empty we pull it with a Tacoma.