skincer

Pushing Bike Up Ramp

I bought a used truck receiver hitch carrier. It's basically a Joe Hauler elevated model. It came with a longer than standard ramp, but I just tried pushing my bike up it by myself & couldn't really do it. As the bike goes up the ramp, it gets high enough off the ground that I don't feel like I can control it, but I don't feel comfortable taking a running start at it. Anybody else have trouble with this? Being short and (apparently) weak has its disadvantages.

When I had a lifted truck I walked the bike up with the motor running and just worked the clutch and front brake.  Let to bike do the work

I just pop the front then gas it .

also if I don't feel tall enough I park with my rear tires in a hole 

7 hours ago, skincer said:

I bought a used truck receiver hitch carrier. It's basically a Joe Hauler elevated model. It came with a longer than standard ramp, but I just tried pushing my bike up it by myself & couldn't really do it. As the bike goes up the ramp, it gets high enough off the ground that I don't feel like I can control it, but I don't feel comfortable taking a running start at it. Anybody else have trouble with this? Being short and (apparently) weak has its disadvantages.

Yes - I bought a Nissan Xterra-Made my own Joe Hauler-Lowered my bike and now just can barely do it. You got to park in the right spot too. 

Use a bike stand and step up on it as you get to that spot

42 minutes ago, hobiee said:

Use a bike stand and step up on it as you get to that spot

Ahh, good idea.  I could use a step stool or something.  Compared to the videos at the Joe Hauler site, the whole operation seems way more unsteady, but being higher would definitely be good.

This might be crazy, but I've been wondering if I could mount this (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-60732.html) harbor freight 1/2 ton truck crane on the Joe Hauler, lift the bike up to the needed height, and sort of guide/swing it onto the carrier.  I've watched a couple youtubes of guys mounting/operating this crane and it looks like it probably has enough lift height.  I would think I could put ratchet straps on the bike while it was lifted and gradually lower it as I tightened the ratchet straps to pull it onto the carrier.  The crane is relatively cheap ($80 w/ coupon), so it wouldn't cost much to experiment.  What do you guys think?  

P.S. If you see a report on the news about a small man crushed to death by a falling motorcycle in Jamul, you can I say "I know that guy".  

9 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

When I had a lifted truck I walked the bike up with the motor running and just worked the clutch and front brake.  Let to bike do the work

I used to do that with my trailer. I slipped one rainy day (boots on), whacked the throttle, and my bike immediately converted itself into a missile. Hopped over the trailer's toolbox and smashed the tailgate (and rear window) of my SUV, which still bears the scars of my foolishness.

When you get the crane installed ill be first in line to pay $5 to see you use it. Should be well worth a laugh for $5

Fyi your way overthinking it either get taller, stronger, a lighter bike or a step

26 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

When you get the crane installed ill be first in line to pay $5 to see you use it. Should be well worth a laugh for $5

Fyi your way overthinking it either get taller, stronger, a lighter bike or a step

I'll be the cameraman. :thumbsup_anim: 

You can back up to your driveway so your trucks rear wheels are at the curb and that would set the rear of truck at its lowest point.  If you live on narrow street and can't block the street then drive up your driveway and stop so rear wheels are at curb. 

Batman doesn't need ramps. 

I have one of the double wide folding ramps.  Tie it the bumper with tie down and ride the bike in.  I am continually tempted to try unloading by letting it roll out the same way with me riding it but so far my stupidometer has kept me from trying it. 

OK, I have another idea.  I think this would be way easier to implement, cheaper, and a lot less dangerous.  What about mounting a cheap winch (with a remote) on the Joe Hauler and basically use it to pull my bike up the ramp and onto the carrier?  I saw a couple youtubes of guys using a winch to pull their bike up a ramp and into a truck bed and I think this would be even easier.  I can get a 2500 lb ATV winch for $52 (with coupon) at Harbor Freight.  I think there's almost no chance of getting killed with this setup.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

4 minutes ago, skincer said:

OK, I have another idea.  I think this would be way easier to implement, cheaper, and a lot less dangerous.  What about mounting a cheap winch (with a remote) on the Joe Hauler and basically use it to pull my bike up the ramp and onto the carrier?  I saw a couple youtubes of guys using a winch to pull their bike up a ramp and into a truck bed and I think this would be even easier.  I can get a 2500 lb ATV winch for $52 (with coupon) at Harbor Freight.  I think there's almost no chance of getting killed with this setup.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

How does one operate the winch and steady the bike at the same time ??

2 minutes ago, hobiee said:

How does one operate the winch and steady the bike at the same time ??

Winch comes with a wireless remote about the size of a car key fob.  So as you're holding the bike, you push the forward button on the remote.  A good thing is that due to the gearing in the winch, it pulls very slowly so things don't get away from you.

I would just practice over and over for an hour loading it with a step i bet youll get pretty good at it

8 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

I would just practice over and over for an hour loading it with a step i bet youll get pretty good at it

+1

Buy a dual sport, and ride it to the trail.  No loading on a Joe Hauler required.

2 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Yeah, you're probably right, but that involves finding a place where my truck is a little lower than the surroundings.  Plus, it doesn't give me an excuse to build something.

3 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Buy a dual sport, and ride it to the trail.  No loading on a Joe Hauler required.

I've got a dual sport bike, but I don't know how comfortable I'd be riding it a couple hours to get to a trail.  Plus, I'd like to take my bike camping some day and for camping I'd like to have my truck.

On 3/9/2017 at 10:27 PM, Pokey151 said:

I do the same thing. 

Does the bike point to the right (passenger) or left (driver) when looking at the hitch hauler?  Most seem to face Left but mine came to me facing Right so when I load it, I can use the hitch hauler frame and or rear bumper and steps. 

2 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Does the bike point to the right (passenger) or left (driver) when looking at the hitch hauler?  Most seem to face Left but mine came to me facing Right so when I load it, I can use the hitch hauler frame and or rear bumper and steps. 

My bike would be facing the drivers side when on the carrier.