Bagstr

Anza Borrego Flower Bloom Ideas 2017

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IAh5liouT_4Hb6K5Iaikw1-GdlE&usp=sharing

Some have asked for directions to the flower viewing areas.  These area have been good to me previously. The Anza Borrego Desert State Park website has info for drive up viewing.

These Waypoints point to places I have seen flowers bloom in the Anza Borrego.  I only have waypoints and don't use tracks to get around. The Tom Harrison San Diego Backcountry map shows almost all the two track trials to get around..  

Others feel free to add your ideas.   Up against the mountains where there is more water usually produces more density. Henderson Canyon north of Pegleg Rd. attracts many tourists. Tamarisk Grove Campground has a wonderful short walking trail.

Coyote Creek is always nice as well.

Can y'all tell me if the brown squiggly lines on this map (primitive roads) are passable in a 2WD Tahoe?

Wifey won't get on a bike, but I'd like to take her here this weekend to see some of the bloom.  I think it would be a great way for us to spend a day. All suggestions welcome.

Anzo Borrego area map.PNG

Zubb, 

The roads into the campgrounds like Blair and Bow Willow are doable in a 2wd Tahoe.  The other roads not so much.  I really can't speak for anything north of Blair campground, but i know that every primitive road south of that would require either skill and right equipment in a 2wd or preferably 4wd.

I'm not saying it can't be done in a 2wd.  A few years ago I did a poker run thru that area in a 2wd ranger...but it had all terrain type tires,regeared with limited slip and i was already familiar with the area.  I drive that area alot in a 4wd and i often test/challenge myself to see how far i can go in 2wd. 

We're heading out there in our Honda CRV, but it's AWD.  We took our previous Honda Pilot out all the way to the end of Coyote Creek, lots of lifted 4x4's were out there like it was a supreme challenge.....

5 minutes ago, tntmo said:

We're heading out there in our Honda CRV, but it's AWD.  We took our previous Honda Pilot out all the way to the end of Coyote Creek, lots of lifted 4x4's were out there like it was a supreme challenge.....

Yup coyote canyon has changed last 5 years. That rock hill use to be challenging in a stock 4x4 3 years ago when the diverted the 3rd water crossing i talked to the ranger and he said they also worked on rock climb to make it more accessible for most. I saw a stock awd nissan rogue do it

They diverted the water crossing?  She loved that part the most!  

11 minutes ago, tntmo said:

They diverted the water crossing?  She loved that part the most!  

Yup the 3rd one use to be the long 30-50 or so yards up the creek threw the reeds and vegetation now just a quick crossing straight across

" 2wheel drive"      Indian Canyon north and south should be fine

Be aware- the traffic is apparently hell. Montezuma Grade bumpertobumper all the way up from town.

Sunday - Wife and I took (the Tahoe), 8 east to Ocotillo then north on S2 to Borrego arriving at the Golf course about 11:30am looking for a spot to have a beer and lunch.

Borrego was a nightmare.  LA traffic on it's worst day.  It took us an hour just to inch our way through town looking for a place to eat that didn't have a line out the door w/ 45 minute waits to get seated (let alone get your food). Oh if I would have only turned around and went home on S2.  The crawl home through Borrego and Julian was excruciating. Miles and miles and endless miles of 2-3 mph creep on the highway. There was no way we were going to try to find food in Julian either and just turned south on 79 which was heavy with traffic as well, but at least it was moving at good speed.  We finally got to Alpine and stopped for our 'lunch' at  5pm.

Beware.

A friend of mine went Friday morning and said it was relatively calm/no serious traffic jams........I think it'll be fine as a mid week destination.......this weekend will undoubtedly be another cluster......

Yeah, what Zubb said.  I want to go out and see the WF blooms with the wife, but it's gonna have to be on a weekday. 

Suggestion:   I-8 north from Ocotillo on S-2.  Past Bow Willow CG to Indian Canyon North and South. As you drive your high clearance vehicle west through the notch, the slope rises to the boulder strewn shoulder of the Palomar Mountains. Two Track sandy roads. Ocotillo, Cholla blooms.  Or the Volcanic Hills. Again, four-wheel country.

Best of Luck!

Wanted to try a different route to Vegas, instead of the I-15. 

Left San Diego via the I-8 east.  We went north through the desert on the S-2 at Ocotillo. Saw some desert wildflowers and some amazing scenery, as usual..

At the 78 we went east to Borrego Springs, seeing more wildflower blooms and a family of sheep scampering on the rocks. 

We took the S-22 to the Salton Sea, then the 86 to Mecca, then Box Canyon to the I-10.  We saw the largest desert wildflowers while driving through Box Canyon...especially right before the I-10 and the Joshua Tree NP entrance.

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG