dstss

Red Cloud Mine Road, Picacho in April -Cancelled

Looking to put together a ride up Red Cloud Mine road.  This trail follows the Colorado River north from Yuma, AZ  up to Palo Verde.  It's pretty rugged and scenic.    I try to do this ride every year after Danrider showed it to me a few years ago.  We will stage out of Picacho just north of Yuma. I will be out there camping so anyone wanting to come out and camp Friday night  would be welcome.  Lots of trails in the area and some pretty cool things to see, so its a fun area for the family to explore while we go on the big ride. The trip up is the challenging side.  Lots of rocks and a few hills but nothing nothing to stop the average rider. Cross the river and get gas in Palo Verde, just south of Blythe, then south through the Palo Verge wilderness and trails on the west side of 78.  Fun hard pack trails with a lot less rocks.  Back through Picacho and back to camp before dark.  Last time I went up Red Cloud we saw a herd of Big Horn sheep, wild donkeys and a herd of deer.  Right now looking at the weekend after Easter. 4/29, but could change if needed.   Shouldn't be to hot yet but with ample daylight to get back before dark.  Last trip was around a 150 mile loop.  Anyone interested let me know.  I know Arizona seems so far away (2 1/2 hours) but this ride is  worth the drive.

This is the video from the ride 4 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-MUz-w3QLk&t=148s

Edited by dstss
Cancelled ride

I'm interested, so your ride goes south from Picacho SRA campground over the river at Yuma, then North to Red Cloud Mine Road?

Have you ridden from Picacho to Walters recently?

Interested.  I've driven around in a 4x4 out there, always wanted to do it on 2 wheels.

18 minutes ago, V-Dog said:

I'm interested, so your ride goes south from Picacho SRA campground over the river at Yuma, then North to Red Cloud Mine Road?

Have you ridden from Picacho to Walters recently?

We ride from Picacho, cut  over to Hidden Shores on Imperial dam road, then north to catch Red Cloud mine road.  I have not done Picacho to Walters recently.  May try to get over there soon and check it out.,

18 minutes ago, beniflas said:

Interested.  I've driven around in a 4x4 out there, always wanted to do it on 2 wheels.

It's a fun ride. 

Ok, I'll pencil the date in. Thanks.

Thanks dstss, fun riding out there.  I am hoping to do at least a couple of loops, very very similar to what you have described - thanks for posting.  I am also hoping to head out that way before the heater turns on.  Late in April puts you mighty close to very warm weather... but there is a river near by :)  I will not be doing fast loops, just cruise loops, maybe as early as March 17 if you want to pre-run.

Much like your posting, various loops to build yet include: Picacho rd, Barney oldfield, sidewinder, Glamis, slab city, Bombay beach, Summit, Bradshaw, Palo verde, over river, south on cibola, south on red cloud to fishers, then staircase back to picacho road...  and/or some indian wells, inner park picacho, maybe try to find a way to walters camp, etc...  Also, KOFA loop (and the great castle dome museum) after using the Yuma to Martinez route, maybe to Blythe, and another cibola red-cloud connection.  Car camp options at Gold rock (I think V-dog may have gone there before?) or Fisher's, or other, even bike camp as Kug and Company just did, so more of a wander feeling, but you may have a big-rig and folks at a  campground waiting for you.

Please keep posting possible dates and route options so I might join you, or at least merge some of my outings to match yours even if we are not on the exact same loop on the same day. All the best. Have fun 

If im healed up by then I'd love to make this ride. We go out to fishers/martinez a lot. So I would probably just stage there & meet up with you. 

MacDuncan, let me know when you are out this way. Always looking to do more exploring out here. 

sdchronix, good luck on the healing. Hope to have you on the ride. We can easily hook up with you as we pass Martinez. 

Pencil me in.

I've run Red Cloud several times in last few months, still open although the Proving grounds section has lots of new signs telling the offroaders to stay on the main road. The wash past the mine is a mess, it's really choppy from all the sxs traffic.

YumaAdam and I have been mapping the area North of Blythe on the way to Parker and have uncovered a ton of (legal) rarely travelled routes. Such a great area!

Look forward to seeing you HotRod.  I'm in Blythe and Parker a lot.  Interested in  talking about the routes you have discovered.  

I'm in for this.  Uncle Champ & I ran Red Cloud Mine Rd. around New Years. The route from hidden Shores thru the proving grounds is really fun trail.  Then link up with Red Cloud to Palo Verde, awesome!

Good deal. Looking like we will have a good group for this ride.

Going to have to cancel this ride.  Had something come up the weekend i expected to ride. Would likely be to warm to push it back any more.  Will try again in the fall. Thanks for everyone's interest.