Pokey151

Budget GPS?

I have tried my phone but it seems buggy, Are there decent GPS units out there under $200?  I plan on using it just for local stuff.  I am a GPS noob

Thanks

Yes. Just buy something that's a few generations old. I still use an 8 year old Garmin Etrex that was 2 years old when I bought it. It has a small screen but leaves a trail behind me and gets me where I want to go. 

I bought it on eBay. Type in handheld gps in the search window and limit the results to however much you want to spend.

Some phones are better than others.  I'm not a GPS guy, never use it but I have researched a bit on it.  I've been watching some ruggedized/waterproof phones with removable batteries that are reasonably priced, considering purchasing one just to use as a GPS device. 

Otherwise, just like Jon said....get an older version for cheap.

My iPhone will overheat in bright sun and get cold in the snow, both ways it won't work.

I'm not understanding how these folks are doing it.

Hey Pokey,

Be aware that the GPS device is only a portion of the cost.  A Topo 100k map is something like $80. Don't even talk about City Navigator. The mapping software ( BaseCamp ) is " free " with the device. 

That said,  You Always know exactly where you are at a given moment.

2 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Hey Pokey,

Be aware that the GPS device is only a portion of the cost.  A Topo 100k map is something like $80. Don't even talk about City Navigator. The mapping software ( BaseCamp ) is " free " with the device. 

That said,  You Always know exactly where you are at a given moment.

Free/basic maps are available......

I have a Magellan Meridian GPS in the box that I got from GPS Slut a while back.

It will be offered in the FREE STUFF thread shortly.

You can get refurbished units also, my Dakota 20 was $99 with the full factory warranty.  Try http://www.gpscity.com as they sell refurbished units and occasionally have really good deals.