Sign in to follow this  
Chuck

Looking for a ride Sunday Mar 5

I was thinking about gassing up in Borrego and riding to the pumpkin patch and gas dome.    I haven't been on those trails before so I am not sure how to rate it.   

After gas dome I am not really sure where next - gas range will decide.

I will be on a KTM 690 - I am thinking of starting @ 9am from X L Co gas in Borrego Springs.

If you got something better / options I am in.

Pumpkin Patch and Gas Dome are both easy rides.  Good amount of sand but nothing real technical.  I haven't been out in over a year but am going to be making the trek in the morning to meet up with my son and nephews; if I see you on the trail I'll wave :)

Hey Charlie. You'll have fun. It's great out there. Post up where you're at when you're out there. I may or may not be in the area about the same time. 

Luckily I woke up early - had a flat.  The stem yanked out of the tube.   I managed to still get to the gas station here on time.

little change - Henderson canyon then on with the rest of the ride.

Got out early this morning and the wind was blowing like mad!  Just had my suspension done (won't say who did it but it was not George) and wanted to give it a run.  Chased my kid around for a while (he's on a KX450F) over to Devils Slide and Shell Reef before I blew the rear shock and ultimately the rear tire (think I lost the tire after the shock blew and the tire had to work harder without any help!).  As windy as it was, there was not that much dust.

Felt good (for the 15 miles I got to ride) to be back out; hope you had fun!

The bike goes back to see what happened tonight.  It started feeling "weird" after coming back from Shell Reef (our last stop) but I couldn't put my finger on it.  I had been standing up for the majority of the ride and I sat down for a minute and the bike felt "low".  Came into a corner after seeing our group and catching up to them and started to swap a couple times and knew something was really wrong.  Pulled over and saw the sag and blown shock.

That said, I was driving out and in my head I was hearing posts on here ("bring water, tubes and tools") and I thought "tubes?  I've never blown a tube in almost 40 years in the desert".  So my question now is, why did I lose the tube?  I did lose one about a year ago on the road (front one this time) and got it back home wondering why.  I took it to Cycle Gear for a new tube and they asked if I had tightened up the stem nut (said it should be loose).  They have always done my tube replacements and I never looked at it/them.  When I checked air pressure in my tires before leaving I noticed that the stem nut was loose on the rims and I left them (in my mind I want to tighten them up, but didn't).  Whats the right answer here and any idea why I am blowing tubes or what I should be doing different?

I have to be embarrassed to say that I did not check it/them.  I've kinda relied on CG to do it right (not really my nature) and I just throw the rim and tire back on the bike.  Sounds like I need to be paying better attention (or changing my own tubes!)!

I was pretty excited to get back out in the dirt and did not do a thorough check (again, embarrassed as it is not my style).  Once I got back to camp I also noticed that when they reinstalled the forks and shock they failed to reattach the front and rear brake cables (they were just dangling on the swing arm and front fork!).  Needless to say I was not very happy as well as disappointed with myself for not checking the work. I know better......

Yup tube valve stem nuts loose is right. Tight against rim doesnt allow movement and rips. Bummer about all the problems definitely need to have a talk with who did it especially with brake cables left loose could have got caught and cause serious danger.

Agreed on the loose cables (and really thankful that I did not catch anything!).  While it did not come back as it should have, I am really to blame for not checking things myself.....

I ended up meeting up with a bunch of guys out in the middle of nowhere ... they all live in my neighborhood.   Bizarre..

simicrintz - sorry we didn't find each other and to hear about the problems.

For me the tube that ripped was installed by a local guy.  I was pretty sure I loosened the nut 500 + miles ago.

The last minute replacement I put the nut is there just to help with mounting.  I am going to check it occasionally to see if it self tightens.   Nothing worse then something that could be prevented.  I am even wondering if I should even have it on there.

i ended up doing a ton of trails out there.  The wind was crazy and visiblity was "interesting" at times.   Made for some good times when I was on the top of the ridges.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1paUdIsmK1Euv7Fkvn1WJBYGJgRk

IMG_1794.jpg

Hey Chuck,

What'a gang.  Glad you had a good time.!

11 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Rimlock tight?

Had to work today; just getting home and went out to the garage to look the bike over again before loading it up.  Double checked the valve stem nuts and both are loose; good right?  Go to check the rim locks and....... I don't even have any on the bike!  There's just a black cap where they are supposed to be (again, I am embarrassed to say that I have never looked).  Why would Honda ship out a bike without them?  

I've been an XR guy since I was about 20 (57 now), but alway an "R" guy.  This is my first "L" and it was my 50th birthday present from my wife so I am asking it to take the place of my last "R" (I had a 2003 XR400R that I sold a while ago).  I love the bike (only have about 3700 miles on it) but just have not spent much time with it.  I've made the commitment to try and spend more time on it; guess I better start by giving it a good once over and not assuming everything is fine with it.....

Since L is a dual sport model and not dort thats why im assuming. Dont think many of the Japanese older style dual sport come with rim locks i know my suzuki drz400 didnt 

Just seems weird that the larger displacement bikes don't come with them.  I keep telling myself that I need a more "dirt specific" bike but I really enjoy the versatility of the BRP.  I've made several nearly 200 mile rides with Mama on the back, and it is capable out at Ocotillo even chasing my non plated buddies around.

The rimlocks are cheap enough; think I'll pull both wheels and put them in them (what's a little more weight on this thing??!).  

4 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Just seems weird that the larger displacement bikes don't come with them.  I keep telling myself that I need a more "dirt specific" bike but I really enjoy the versatility of the BRP.  I've made several nearly 200 mile rides with Mama on the back, and it is capable out at Ocotillo even chasing my non plated buddies around.

The rimlocks are cheap enough; think I'll pull both wheels and put them in them (what's a little more weight on this thing??!).  

That just means your riding it to its fullest congrats.

By BRP, do you mean XR650r, THE big red pig?

To me, it really is a fun bike to ride.  I know it's not a MX bike, and I sometimes get bummed chasing my buddies on CRF's and KX's, but for its weight and conveniences (e-start, turn signals, horn :) ) it's a good all around bike.  I do envy those orange bikes though!

I've always called my XR's BRP's!  Had a 82 XR500 (had a reed valve!), got out of the bike scene for a while and then bought the XR400.  The 650L is by far the heaviest, and none of them were light!