For bikes that are registered out of state.

I'm not a lawyer but, in the document it only talks about "OHV's" it doesn't mention street licensed vehicles...  ?
I guess they could still keep you out of some areas if your VIN has the 3 or the C... ?

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/OHV%20Information%20Bulletin%20-%20Non-Resident%20Red%20Sticker%20Equipment.pdf

OHV_Information_Bulletin_-_Non-Resident_Red_Sticker_Equipment.pdf

Interesting, I have had a few people I work with ask me what they need to do to ride here with out of state ATV's or dirt bikes.....I never knew  the right answer for them.  

Huh.

So will this apply to bikes like XCW's that have been plated in Arizona or Montana? Are those red-sticker bikes for California, or do they have some other designation? Or, because they are street-licensed, does this rule not apply?

New Procedure: Enforcement of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations shall be based

upon the vehicle and not the residence of the owner. All OHVs that would receive an emissions noncompliant

designation (Red Sticker) in California (identified by a 3 or C in the eighth digit of the VIN) may

only be ridden during open Red Sticker riding seasons with a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit or

an equivalent current home state registration. Riding seasons are determined by CARB and can be

found at: www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/redsticker_riding.

Bags interpretation:     Plated DOT vs OHV ( Plated ? )

OHV ( Off Highway Vehicle )  = any vehicle with a 3 or C  at the eighth VIN digit.   I wonder what category Out of State Plated vehicles would be. For instance, I have a friend that runs a plated, mirrored and turn signaled  bike that is not plate-able in CA.  She has a zero/o in the eight position. One would think like a licensed  unit from a one of the the non-CA compliant states.  This would seem to be a third category, i.e. CA DOT, Red/Green and Out of State. 

Please help with these definitions. Thanks

For example, can you drive a car from Alabama on CA roads?

I've always been unclear about this- for example, one can plate oneathem side-x-side thingys in Arizona, but I wouldn't think you'd get a mile into either Anza Borrego or Pacific Beach without getting stopped.

The new legislation only pertains to OHVs not licensed vehicles. In order for non-residents to operate OHVs in CA the owner must have a current registration from a state with reciprocal agreements with CA or purchase a Non-resident OHV pass. That's not anything new. The new is that CA is now enforcing the EPA certification requirements on non-resident OHVs within the state. What we call red sticker season will apply to non resident OHVs operated in CA.

The other half of the conundrum pertains to licensed vehicles. As long as you have a plate, current registration and insurance AND all USDOT compliant equipment on a vehicle there's no reason CA would stop you from operating on a public motorway. For a sidebyside, that would mean, DOT compliant headlights, taillight brake lights, mirrors, seat belts, horn, battery, tires or whatever your registering state requires for licensing certification. The legality is whether you're trying to skirt CA laws by registering your non-compliant vehicle out of state but not meeting the state requirements for keeping a vehicle out of state as a CA resident. 

9 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

The new legislation only pertains to OHVs not licensed vehicles. In order for non-residents to operate OHVs in CA the owner must have a current registration from a state with reciprocal agreements with CA or purchase a Non-resident OHV pass. That's not anything new. The new is that CA is now enforcing the EPA certification requirements on non-resident OHVs within the state. What we call red sticker season will apply to non resident OHVs operated in CA.

The other half of the conundrum pertains to licensed vehicles. As long as you have a plate, current registration and insurance AND all USDOT compliant equipment on a vehicle there's no reason CA would stop you from operating on a public motorway. For a sidebyside, that would mean, DOT compliant headlights, taillight brake lights, mirrors, seat belts, horn, battery, tires or whatever your registering state requires for licensing certification. The legality is whether you're trying to skirt CA laws by registering your non-compliant vehicle out of state but not meeting the state requirements for keeping a vehicle out of state as a CA resident. 

Ok- so a legally plated/registered/insured sXs from Arizona is legal in Anza Borrego and Pacific Beach?

This is the internet, so let me be clear- I'm not being argumentative, I'm really curious.

From another forum, on the internet, so, take with many grains of salt:

A rider from Canada called Mark Hada to see if this affects plated bikes. Here's what the rider wrote on another website:

Called Mark - this DOES NOT apply to plated vehicles. This is only for seasonal vehicles. Any vehicle with a plate that renews annually including mine which is from Canada, does not need to do anything.

Mark Hada ? : http://www.cspra.com/contact/old_index.html

If this is true then Bagstr's girlfriend, and others with red sticker bikes plated in AZ or other states should not worry.

But, how long before "they" (CARB) start looking at the bikes with out of state plates and a 3 or a C?

I hate CARB.

43 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Ok- so a legally plated/registered/insured sXs from Arizona is legal in Anza Borrego and Pacific Beach?

This is the internet, so let me be clear- I'm not being argumentative, I'm really curious.

I'd say yes "if" completely DOT compliant.......which isn't necessary to obtain a plate in AZ......my AZ. plated rigs are not DOT compliant.......not an issue where I travel in AZ. but I wouldn't push my luck with a drive down Garnet Avenue in my RZR :o:D

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

but I wouldn't push my luck with a drive down Garnet Avenue in my RZR :o:D

Here, hold my beer and watch this!

As long as you are conforming to the DOT requirements for a street licensed vehicle what's the difference between a side by side UTV or a beach buggy or something else you built in your shed and licensed for street use?

Not that you bought the UTV and built the buggy. The UTV may have emissions testing but neither may have collision or safety testing.  

The guy I bought my RZR from was a dealer and he made his RZR as DOT compliant as possible with DOT windshield, tires, blinkers ect. Drove it down the street in Escondido and got pulled over and the Officer wanted to tow it away. Went to court to fight the ticket and lost. The judge said it wasn't street legal from the factory. With that logic I guess any plated dirt bike or home built car wouldn't be legal. I see lots of buggies with plates in ABDSP and rangers never give them a 2nd look, but I'm sure if I took my plated AZ plated RZR in the park I'd get a ticket.

CiD

Did the RZR have a legally issued license plate from state DMV? Otherwise it was just an OHV operating on a public motorway. 

Yeah, I do see a lot of big dollar buggies out in the desert with basic headlights and tail/brake lights that have AZ plates on them.  I've never seen one of them on the highway in CA, but I suppose they could?  Or couldn't?   In AZ can they go to the Starbucks drive through with one of those, or go pick up some more beer at WalMart? 

7 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

Did the RZR have a legally issued license plate from state DMV? Otherwise it was just an OHV operating on a public motorway. 

Yes he had a California plate on it. Still got a ticket and still lost in court.

28 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Yeah, I do see a lot of big dollar buggies out in the desert with basic headlights and tail/brake lights that have AZ plates on them.  I've never seen one of them on the highway in CA, but I suppose they could?  Or couldn't?   In AZ can they go to the Starbucks drive through with one of those, or go pick up some more beer at WalMart? 

I drive mine all over Bullhead City on the pavement........nobody gives a rat's ass........it's just a different (better) mindset over there.......there are more important things to worry about.....

It would appear the Law is contradictory.  Furthermore subject to interpretation. The states have an obligation to honor the licensing rules of other states and allow the metaphorical Alabama pickup with one mirror and a smoky exhaust.  Is it feasible for the Highway Patrol to inspect every 49 state car and truck at the border, and more importantly restrict access? 

Regarding how wonderful these under-developed states are:  Would have been nice for everyone who made a good living in Cali all these years to have settled in Arizona or Utah or New Mexico. Then this town would look more like it did in 1951 when I was born here.  Please, let's just enjoy the grey area we have to work with without Hammering all the reasons we hate where we live.  ( Note: My people came from Kentucky and North Dakota. I am glad they did. )

More from the D37 website (all the usual internet disclaimers apply), This pertains to emissions related time of use restrictions (red sticker vs. green sticker vs. plated) only. Does not cover mirrors, tires, lights, etc.:

"If you have a 49 state emissions vehicle with a plate from one of the 49 other states, you can operate in CA without any time of use restrictions. Motorcycle, car, truck, SUV, etc, even if they don't have CA emissions equipment, they can enter and operate in CA anytime. They can even be registered in CA as long as they have been registered in another state and have at least 7500 miles on them."

2 hours ago, amgems said:

More from the D37 website (all the usual internet disclaimers apply), This pertains to emissions related time of use restrictions (red sticker vs. green sticker vs. plated) only. Does not cover mirrors, tires, lights, etc.:

"If you have a 49 state emissions vehicle with a plate from one of the 49 other states, you can operate in CA without any time of use restrictions. Motorcycle, car, truck, SUV, etc, even if they don't have CA emissions equipment, they can enter and operate in CA anytime. They can even be registered in CA as long as they have been registered in another state and have at least 7500 miles on them."

Gotta say, I don't think this is true. I don't think you can bring a 7501-mile 2-stroke previously plated in another state and plate it here.

Maybe, but I suspect not.

9 hours ago, amgems said:

The key is they must still have a valid 49 states "On Road" emissions sticker. Without that the 7500 mile does not apply and it cannot be registered in CA. No side x side has an On Road emission sticker and CA does not recognize an AZ side x side plate. You will get a ticket driving it on the road here.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1685

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/853132-cycle-news-issue-29-july-25-2017/28?m4=

Just so you know -  fines for sale of NEW Non-Compliant vehicles by Dealers have been revised from Up To $500 to Up To $37,500.

On another note - Our power bill had a note stating that the average temperature for June '17 vs '16 was up 5 degrees. Idaho Panhandle. 

Personally wondering if it is possible to mass produce a " High Performance " moto that is emissions compliant. Further, is it just the cost to make it happen?  Autos seem to sell high ouput motors.

And Wait - There is more!   France and England have a standard for All Electric Vehicles at 2040.  Unclear as to whether this is just metro areas or the whole country.

There will be a time when you roll into Tuba City on an electric and do a fast charge for your next 200 mile loop.  :o

Bags -            P.S.  I know, I know

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2018/ktm_m0230139_510-449_0d8_hn.pdf

2018 KTM 500 EXC etc. approved