Sign in to follow this  
ellingsen

Death Valley large ADV ride, march 2017, stay at panamint, see Trona, Pinnacles, Charcoal Kilns, Teakettle Junction, Ubehebe Crater, etc

I've never been to death valley and i'm getting the idea I've been missing out.  I've been to borrego/ocotillo numerous times and this would be a nice change.  In the latest issue of motorcyclist there is an article on the original BMW GS with some pics of DV that are intriguing.  There was a recent ride there but I wasn't able to attend but want to get to DV before it gets too hot.     March should be good weather wise--not too warm not too cold.  i'd like to get up there either on a thurs eve or fri am and return sunday and stay at panamint.  I would ride a KTM 1190 so no technical trails, mostly exploring the park dirt and street, going to: Trona, Pinnacles, Charcoal Kilns, Teakettle Junction, Ubehebe Crater, Crankshaft Junction, and anything else interesting.  LMK if you are interested!

rhyolite ghost town, leadview or Leadville ghost town, cant remember name its been a few years.  april may are perfect weather for death valley, march is a little cool at night but doable. I have a ride to moab in march but if yours is before or after I will do the run with you, Ive been there a dozen times.

Can be cool at elevation in March.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-death-valley-noobs-rally-march-30-april-2.1181165/

There is this ADV Rally at end of March, it's booked but if you get on the waiting list you'll probably get in. Get way to discover DV for the first time and a heck of a party.

Todd Whiteside and I will be poisoning ... errr I mean cooking for the Thursday night group once again! 

Thanks for the replies.  

Aleska,  interesting you live in borrego!  when is your ride in march?  Are you riding to moab or trailering there?

Arnie: i'll see about your posted ride!   thanks!

Titus Canyon is really good, Stripped Butte is also really neat. As you come into the Panamint Valley from Trona, Ballarat is a cool stop, from there head up Wildrose canyon to the Charcoal Kilns, from there; up over Emigrant Pass to Stove Pipe Wells. That section has awesome scenic views with wild life on most days. 

riding to moab unless I get 2 or 3 riders with small bikes that want to trailer then I will haul on my 3 rail with 2 in the truck. I always prefer to ride though.