skincer

First Practice Session

I went out for my first practice session on my new bike yesterday.  I went to a parking lot down the street and drove in a figure 8 pattern a bunch, and then practiced getting the clutch out in 1st gear over and over.  It really helped a lot.  I need to do some more of that and I think I'd like to take a motoventures class to learn some skills and get more practice.  If I did this right, there should be a photo of my mighty XT250 attached to this post.

Yamaha_XT250_01.JPG

Good idea to take the MotoVentures course.  I have watched Gary and his instructors work with students, and they are very thorough.

Good for you taking the time to get in some practice. I cant stress enough the importance of slow speed maneuverability. Just about anyone can ride a bike straight and fast. Slow and tight is a different story. Slow speed maneuverability requires throttle, brake, and clutch control all at the same time and you only get that skill with practice.

If you are new to riding on the street, I highly suggest reading the Hurt Study (google Hurt study PDF). The study is dated, but still relevant. Zero in on the primary causes of collision involving motorcycle and how to mitigate them. It will be you a safer rider on the street.

Taking advise from a rider who wins skills competitions is a wise idea.

Congrats on the XT.

12 hours ago, Oracle said:

Good for you taking the time to get in some practice. I cant stress enough the importance of slow speed maneuverability. Just about anyone can ride a bike straight and fast. Slow and tight is a different story. Slow speed maneuverability requires throttle, brake, and clutch control all at the same time and you only get that skill with practice.

If you are new to riding on the street, I highly suggest reading the Hurt Study (google Hurt study PDF). The study is dated, but still relevant. Zero in on the primary causes of collision involving motorcycle and how to mitigate them. It will be you a safer rider on the street.

Read the hurt summary - a little scary, but a little encouraging in that I'm outside some of the risk groups (e.g. older and wear a helmet).  I would like to know the situations that I need to be most watchful for. Is it people turning left in front of me and people T-boning me when I'm turning left?

Thanks. Steve

I took my trusty blue steed out for my 2nd practice session last weekend. It went well.  I did my standard figure 8's and 1st gear clutch drills in a nearby parking lot & then road on the streets near my house again.  I was feeling more confident so I rode around my local streets more this weekend than last.  I do notice if I'm rushed, or a little stressed by a car behind me or something, I get a little distracted and make small mistakes, like awkward stops with my fetch pedaling along the ground. Mthis makes it clear I Ned a lot more practice. I signed up for a motovemntures class. I was going to start ,with the level 1, but Gary convinced me that it was for folks that had no idea nhow to ride a motorcycle and I should start a with level 2. That's probably lyrics best. I decided not to take my bike, so he said I would be on a TTR230 which is only a little taller than my XT250. I think the class will do me some good.

I took the motoventures class yesterday. Gary taught our class.  I originally planned to take the level 1 class since I have no dirt experience, but Gary convinced me I should take level 2. I think he was right - the level 1 was all people that had never ridden a motorcycle.  I had hoped it would be a confidence builder, but it was a skill teacher instead ... which is OK I think.  I didn't really build much confidence because I realize now, that I need a lot of practice on what we learned. I lost track of how many times I dropped the bike I was using.

I had stood up briefly before while riding, but he had us standing up continuously doing drills and riding twisty trails. My quads are screaming today. I think I did get better during the course of the day. I just bought his book and intend to do some practice on my own. I'm not sure where the closest non-paved area is to me in Jamul, but I need to find somewhere. All in all, I'm really glad I took the class.