P10102981000w-L.jpg

P10103081000w-L.jpg

P10103131000w-L.jpg

P10103031000w-L.jpg

P10103141000w-L.jpg

P10103151000w-L.jpg

P10103201000w-L.jpg

P10103231000w-L.jpg

Came across Coop out in Fault Wash.  Like myself, he had some time and did not waste it. Good to meet you buddy!

Plated ride only?

What's the difference between the last 2 pictures, the first one looks like wood poles or pilings and the below it ??? Any idea of the purpose esp. the wood?

Looks like nice weather for riding.

My Friend,  These are stone, hard rock surrounded by mud flow mixture of stones and mud. Pre-Historic fossilized?  Planning on doing research into the geology. I had the same first impression, that thew were beams. My best guess is petrified trees from way back.

Very interesting. I'm sure someone at the Ranger station at OW would be able to explain them.

Greenhorn,

Yes and No.   Plated DOT Street Legal vehicles only allowed on the roads of Anza Borrego Desert State Park. But,,,,the shot of bike and ocotillo are outside the park. Not certain how you would get to the site without a plate, as ownership is "checkerboard" in the area. 

On another point -  Inspiration Wash  is now passable from the land fill to the point. Soft, tough going in a couple of spots but no mud.  Again, the landfill is outside the park. Higher elevation moves inside park boundary. Tom Harrison San Diego Backcountry map is a good resource. 

I actually had the occasion to h-h-h-h-ike the slot just below Butte last week- it was kinda cool!

On February 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Bagstr said:

My Friend,  These are stone, hard rock surrounded by mud flow mixture of stones and mud. Pre-Historic fossilized?  Planning on doing research into the geology. I had the same first impression, that they were beams. My best guess is petrified trees from way back.

I know just the person to ask- I'll let you know the results.

Asking your son??

Checked the ABDSP website with no reference to this geology.  After contemplation, I don't think they are fossilized trees as some of the shapes are very wide and flat-ish.   :huh:

I've seen those formations. Very interesting. I thought they were maybe some kind of lava / mud flow? Never stopped to check them out closely. I have found petrified wood in Ocotillo Wells area. Small fist sized chunks and kind of red in color. Enquiring minds want to know....

That first big piece has a machined circle cut near the bottom

almost like a railroad trestle or pier piling wood.....

desert looks nice !

Good pictures

I emailed Patrick Abbot, Professor Emeritus of Geological Science at SDSU:

Hi Paul:

The rock bodies you wonder about are called concretions; they are sands that have been cemented together to form sandstone. 

Here is how they form. 1) Visualize a sand bar sitting on a muddy river floor or shallow sea floor. 2) That sand bar becomes buried by muds. 3) While buried the sands have groundwater (rain sunk into the ground) flow slowly around the sand grains. 4) Chemicals in the water precipitate to form calcium carbonate which cements / binds the sands into a hard rock (sandstone). This process is similar to the whitish minerals you probably have precipitated around the water faucets in your bathrooms and kitchens.
The shapes are those of the original little dunes of loose sand.

Cheers,

Pat Abbott

Paul,

Really, you expect us to believe that story?  I would rather believe the Saltopus roamed Scotland 210 million years past!

Dave

I'm not buying it.  It looks like fossilized ribs from a monstrous prehistoric monster of sorts.

Dude those are obviously the masts from the fabled missing gold ship, the legend says it went missing last time there was water there "400 or 500 years ago", goggle it.

Honest.

:)