skincer

Motorcycle Hauler / Rack

I have a camper shell on my truck, so I was thinking about getting one of those racks that plugs into your hitch receiver.  It seems like tons of companies make them.  Anybody have a recommendation?  The guy at Vey's recommended a local company called Joe Hauler.  The product looks pretty good, but their web site is a disaster.

Thanks.

Steve

Lots of threads on this.  Joe Hauler is one of the better ones out there.  Stay away from the Trackside hauler sold at Cycle Gear.  The primary beam which goes into the hitch is weak and bends under load.

5 hours ago, skincer said:

I have a camper shell on my truck, so I was thinking about getting one of those racks that plugs into your hitch receiver.  It seems like tons of companies make them.  Anybody have a recommendation?  The guy at Vey's recommended a local company called Joe Hauler.  The product looks pretty good, but their web site is a disaster.

Thanks.

Steve

I have a friend with one for sale, PM me

x2 on the Joe Hauler. Many serious dual sport guys swear by them. Personally, I use a home made one that is even more burley and will hold two bikes.

I picked up one made by ragen that is heavy duty, rated for 600lbs and I have hauled my klr fully dressed to Montana on it.

Its called black widow now and is sold by discountramps.com for $219 and comes with the anti rock hitch lock.

On 2/24/2017 at 2:06 PM, Mikey777 said:

Lots of threads on this.  Joe Hauler is one of the better ones out there.  Stay away from the Trackside hauler sold at Cycle Gear.  The primary beam which goes into the hitch is weak and bends under load.

DANG IT!!!   I got the Cycle Gear unit last month. :(  Bummer.  

Oh well... It was on sale for just over $100 so I can't really complain.  Hopefully my KTM 500 is light enough that it won't bend & I save up for a nicer unit. 

Mine bent using using only my EXC 350 F.  Cross your fingers!

I also have the in-expensive cycle gear one. I do notice the steel is not very thick on the part that goes  in the receiver.

Has anyone added reinforcement to one of these ?

I have a discount ramps for many years without any issues.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/

More importantly is the quality of your tie downs, as that will be your first failure point.

I have seen many people use really cheap or damaged tie downs on a brand new bike only to be sorry.

Invest in an Ancra tie down or similar high quality and when the tie down begins to show wear, replace it.

33 minutes ago, boat440 said:

I have a discount ramps for many years without any issues.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/

More importantly is the quality of your tie downs, as that will be your first failure point.

I have seen many people use really cheap or damaged tie downs on a brand new bike only to be sorry.

Invest in an Ancra tie down or similar high quality and when the tie down begins to show wear, replace it.

That is the ramp I have. I will just keep an eye on mine when I use it . Glad yours is working well.