skincer

Beginner Gear Recommendations - Jacket, Boots, Gloves

I just purchased an XT250 yesterday and unlike the last time I tried to get into dual sport riding, I'd like to buy some (modestly priced) gear to give me a little more confidence.  I don't intend to ever do any really technical off road riding - I'm more interested in dirt roads, fire roads, basic trails, etc.  When and if that changes, I might change the kind of gear I wear, but for now, my biggest concern is riding on the pavement to get to an off road location.   So, I'm most concerned about abrasion protection.  

I think the first thing I'd like to buy is a jacket.  If I wanted to stay around or below $200 what would you guys recommend?  

The next thing is boots - again not super expensive ... I saw some O’Neal Element and O'Neal Rider boots online that looked pretty good to me, but I have no idea what to look for.  Thoughts?

And finally gloves.  Anybody have gloves they would recommend?  ...or ideas about what to look for in gloves?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Steve

In my "expert" opinion, I would personally recommend heading to the local Cycle Gear brick and mortar store and simply get completely kitted out with a full package of their company brand BiLT Gear.

Note: its not my choice but its a great option for standard starter gear and in a package deal will be within a nice budget price point. And its a US owned company to support (but Im sure the line is BiLT somewhere on the other side of the Pacific ocean)

https://www.cyclegear.com/search?_utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Bilt+offroad&commit=Search

trust me on this , one other thing try to stick with lighter colors, black may look "cool" but with our temps and solar pattern......makes it very hot. looks like they stick with WHT, RED,BLU,ORN for their BiLT brand gear any of those are better than black in the hot sun. Lighter is better option wise, you always add long underwear or jacket over for cooler temps but still have the luxury of breathable gear for our mostly warmer temps.

The WHT with BLK trim Free flow gloves, pants and jersey seem to be like budget version of Moose Sahara look like a great option for 3 basic items to choose from. Also it looks like a lot of closeout prices on this stuff, large % off original RTL prices.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-free-flow-jersey

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-redemption-helmet

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-free-flow-pants

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-free-flow-gloves

low $100 range of boots there are bunch to choose from after trying them on of course.

best of luck. I'm sure there will be other opinions, I just like being able to get inside the store and try stuff.

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

In my "expert" opinion, I would personally recommend heading to the local Cycle Gear brick and mortar store and simply get completely kitted out with a full package of their company brand BiLT Gear.

Note: its not my choice but its a great option for standard starter gear and in a package deal will be within a nice budget price point. And its a US owned company to support (but Im sure the line is BiLT somewhere on the other side of the Pacific ocean)

https://www.cyclegear.com/search?_utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Bilt+offroad&commit=Search

trust me on this , one other thing try to stick with lighter colors, black may look "cool" but with our temps and solar pattern......makes it very hot. looks like they stick with WHT, RED,BLU,ORN for their BiLT brand gear any of those are better than black in the hot sun. Lighter is better option wise, you always add long underwear or jacket over for cooler temps but still have the luxury of breathable gear for our mostly warmer temps.

The WHT with BLK trim Free flow gloves, pants and jersey seem to be like budget version of Moose Sahara look like a great option for 3 basic items to choose from. Also it looks like a lot of closeout prices on this stuff, large % off original RTL prices.

Thanks for the input.  I didn't even know about Cycle Gear.  

25 minutes ago, skincer said:

Thanks for the input.  I didn't even know about Cycle Gear.  

Yup definitely bilt stuff if you wanna get started on a budget they seem to always be on some sale or have package pricing 

Yes to cycle gear, I rode bilt gear for 3 months straight from san diego to new foundland without a failure with one exception, stay away from any boots that say BILT. I have returned 3 pairs that all leaked water even being sold as a waterproof dualsport boot, but it sounds like you are going to be in the dirt more than touring. That is a great bike to start on very reliable.

I started with the O"Neil Rider boots from Cycle Gear for about $120 out the door. Used them 2 days a week for 2 years before breaking my foot kicking a rock. Probably would have still broke my foot in the $500 boots I wear now.

They were comfortable as good as it gets for an entry level boot.

I bought a Bilt helmet but returned it shortly after for a MSR helmet at Cycle Gear. Approx 125 on sale and I got good use out of it for a few years.

I agree with the above. When I bought my street bike I had nothing for street riding. Went into Cyclegear and got all kitted up. Prices can be a little higher on certain things but the selection is big and you'll likely find what you need at a decent price and they have a great return policy.

Bilt gear gets a lot of negativity, and I will agree that it isn't premium stuff but it's a great product for the price.  I had a pair of their gloves that I used for two years and a lot of miles, they were wore out so I just bought a new pair.  My son took the old pair and brought them back to Cycle Gear and they gladly replaced them, they said they are covered for five years.   

Go take a look and get stuff that you will wear, no reason to spend $100 on something if it's uncomfortable but a more expensive or cheaper item is the one that you will use.  

I went to Cycle Gear and picked out a Bilt Storm jacket.  They had to order the color (black/grey) I wanted.  It makes sense, but I never realized the jacket needs to fit pretty snugly in order to keep it and the armor in place if you fall.  That will take some getting used to.  I picked up a back protector to go in the jacket and some gloves too.

I also tried on some O'Neal Element (and Rider) boots and they seemed pretty hard to walk in and kind of like overkill.  I could see myself not bothering to put them on a lot of the time.  Then I tried on a pair of Forma Adventure Low boots and liked them a lot better.  I understand they're kind of for different purposes - the Elements are more of a MX boot and the Forma's are more of an adventure sport boot.  I'm thinking I may never want to do any extreme off ride riding, and the Forma's provide way better protection that the regular work boots I ride in now, so they may be a nice compromise.  I can also see wanting to get off my bike and hike around a little and I can't imagine doing that in the O'Neals.  When/if I want to do harder off road riding I could get some MX boots.  What do you guys think about that strategy?

North County Yamaha has a bunch of boots on sale also.... $100 to $300 range.

2 hours ago, skincer said:

I went to Cycle Gear and picked out a Bilt Storm jacket.  They had to order the color (black/grey) I wanted.  It makes sense, but I never realized the jacket needs to fit pretty snugly in order to keep it and the armor in place if you fall.  That will take some getting used to.  I picked up a back protector to go in the jacket and some gloves too.

I also tried on some O'Neal Element (and Rider) boots and they seemed pretty hard to walk in and kind of like overkill.  I could see myself not bothering to put them on a lot of the time.  Then I tried on a pair of Forma Adventure Low boots and liked them a lot better.  I understand they're kind of for different purposes - the Elements are more of a MX boot and the Forma's are more of an adventure sport boot.  I'm thinking I may never want to do any extreme off ride riding, and the Forma's provide way better protection that the regular work boots I ride in now, so they may be a nice compromise.  I can also see wanting to get off my bike and hike around a little and I can't imagine doing that in the O'Neals.  When/if I want to do harder off road riding I could get some MX boots.  What do you guys think about that strategy?

I get your thinking i use to think same way. I wore surplus military boots for awhile during light duty riding and always a set of mx boots for trails. Then upgraded to forma adventure full size boots love them work well for hiking . But i will say my worst foot/ankle injury was wearing my forma adventure boots going up otay mountain on my 950 just easy gravel road and put foot down around corner and it twisted something that wouldnt have happened in my mx style, fyi cheap mx style are worthless.

I still wear my formas all the time but if anything gets more than street now or if the gravel road i go on has off shoots or mines i wanna check out i take mx boots you will always push yourself into harder terrain to explore.

A broken foot hurts. I bet ankles are worse. 

I live by the ATGAT rule. All the gear all the time. Even on a warmup ride around the truck. 

I wear the best gear I can afford. 

I have to go to work on Monday. 

8 hours ago, Ken S said:

I have to go to work on Monday. 

The greatest motivator of all!

My 2 cents, go on CL buy Alpine stars or Gaerne or something good lightly used for $100 or so. Unless you have good insurance, like pain and don't have to work.

You can walk around in good boots, no cheap ski boot feel.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

CL find, Alpine stars, size 8, Albert 619-942-9832

They look good in pics.

Can you post or PM the CL link?  I did a search on Motorcross Boots and found a pair of size 7 Thor boots I was thinking about checking out.  Are Thor's good boots?

5 minutes ago, skincer said:

Can you post or PM the CL link?  I did a search on Motorcross Boots and found a pair of size 7 Thor boots I was thinking about checking out.  Are Thor's good boots?

Never mind - just found it.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

CL find, Alpine stars, size 8, Albert 619-942-9832

They look good in pics.

I texted this guy and he said he sold his MX boots and all he had left was these Alpine Stars street boots.  Can somebody tell me if these are street or dirt boots?  The CL link is:  https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mpo/6009423881.html 

I just heard back from him and he said they are Tech 1's.  I'm going to try to check them out tomorrow.