skincer

Beginner Gear Recommendations - Jacket, Boots, Gloves

I scored some used Fly Racing F-16 pants from Craigslist today.  They're in like new condition and I got them for $25.  They seem like they will offer tons more abrasion protection and be more comfortable to ride in than jeans.

I hate to be the voice of negativity, but don't expect motocross pants to do much in a crash on asphalt. 

15 minutes ago, Wintyfresh said:

I hate to be the voice of negativity, but don't expect motocross pants to do much in a crash on asphalt. 

No worries man, I welcome any info - I have no idea what I'm doing.  When I felt the material, it seemed way more robust than my jeans, so I figured it was better than what I had and cheap enough.  Can you recommend a brand/model of entry level pants that would be more appropriate for dual sport (especially the street portion) riding?

Thanks.

Steve

On 3/2/2017 at 7:06 PM, simicrintz said:

Those are dirt; that's a steal!

I just checked these AlpineStar boots out.  They were in really good shape.  They felt very comfortable, but maybe a little roomy around my foot.  I bought them for $50.  I figure they may be fine as is or I could wear 2 pairs of socks.  He said they were Tech 1's.  What do you guys think - good buy or bad?

It looks like the Bilt Free Flow Pants mentioned earlier in the thread are 600 denier, which should provide some abrasion resistance. If you can find a set of Explorer Air pants for cheap those have 1200 denier sections in the knees and seat. Tourmaster makes some pretty affordable dualsport gear as well, and I've found it to be of higher quality than Bilt. I'm lucky enough to have only ever crashed on asphalt wearing leather, but have torn through MX pants in relatively low speed dirt crashes. 

Good kill on the Tech 1s for $50! 

[Edit: Actually, looking up the specs on the F-16s they're 600D as well, so as good as the Free Flow Pants.]