Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Garmin Maps

What maps should I get for the Garmin Montana I just bought?   Can maps be shared? 

Thank you

For the Garmin specifically maps the Garmin TOPO US 24K works great and at the 24K level all maps are routable.  I'll have my DVD of it with me at the dash if we want to see if I can load some of the areas on it.  The one I have is US west which if I recall correctly covers CA, WA, OR, and I thought NV with AZ but I'll have to locate the jacket to confirm.  It's not completely up to date though as the maps were generated by NAVTEQ in 2008, so some roads that are new aren't there yet, but at the resolution level they're very thorough.  I only paid $65 for it but that was during the going out of business sale of Sports Authority.  I believe they're usually between $100 and $120 per region.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, Bp619 said:

Agreed literally shows you everything. I also like garmin city navigator shows alot of forestry roads

City Navigator 2017 has surprisingly good detail and it's routable.....even in Mexico

No, you can not share maps......but you can share tracks wirelessly to another Montana.....

On 2/18/2017 at 4:53 PM, Wintyfresh said:

For the riding we do there really is no better than https://www.californiatrailmap.com/

Bum, the creator / mapmaker of CA Trail Map is a SDAR member - Lee aka 00yz250

This map will get you from Imperial Beach to Las Vegas and back no problem.  It has Death Valley, Mojave, Anza Borrego etc in detail and breaks down the roads by paved, dualsport and OHV.  This map cannot be shared between users but I bought Unlimited Upgrades and All Platforms so I can eventually put it on my phone/tablet