ADV Bum

Garmin Montana 680

I took the plunge and got the Garmin Montana 680.  Any recommendations on mounts or other accessories that I should look into getting for it? 

Thank you

Thank you. I like the ball/ screw mount with the power cradle. Do you utilize the sound cable for anything or delete?

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, ADV Bum said:

I took the plunge and got the Garmin Montana 680.  Any recommendations on mounts or other accessories that I should look into getting for it? 

Thank you

A friend drilled/tapped my HDB top clamp so the powered cradle is out of the way/easy viewing sitting or standing......

montana%20mount_zps7zn4pg0b.png

My variation.. Montana mounted on a plate that is mounted on isolators screwed into a HDB top clamp.

IMG_1800.JPG

14 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

My variation.. Montana mounted on a plate that is mounted on isolators screwed into a HDB top clamp.

IMG_1800.JPG

Sweet set up.......I don't really notice any vibration issues even though mine is hard mounted to the top clamp........I guess the forks are doing their job........

Garmin also has a cig. adapter cable that you can plug into your 990 dash.  Just another way to power it verus hard wiring. Nice to have if you also use your Garmin with other vehicles like your truck, Razr, etc.

http://www.gpsnation.com/garmin-vehicle-power-cable-0101187200.html?fee=1&fep=5034&gclid=CjwKEAjw_PfGBRDW_sutqMbQsmMSJAAMpUapGyYhC6diHKnKgCMo9mWuOihdpFNoXMl17g2ofqsP0xoCTwzw_wcB

23 minutes ago, Mikey777 said:

Garmin also has a cig. adapter cable that you can plug into your 990 dash.  Just another way to power it verus hard wiring. Nice to have if you also use your Garmin with other vehicles like your truck, Razr, etc.

http://www.gpsnation.com/garmin-vehicle-power-cable-0101187200.html?fee=1&fep=5034&gclid=CjwKEAjw_PfGBRDW_sutqMbQsmMSJAAMpUapGyYhC6diHKnKgCMo9mWuOihdpFNoXMl17g2ofqsP0xoCTwzw_wcB

Whoops, I thought that was just to charge it........not power it for use?

I made a short hardwire cable for the powered AMPs mount to use in my RZR.....put a SAE plug on the end.......mates to SAE coming out of the dash.......I want DC power all the time.....not keyed.......the Montana takes a long time to reboot each time you stop if you use "key'd power".....

I drilled the dash out behind the steering wheel and mounted a RAM ball......7" dog bone puts it just above the steering wheel for clear viewing.........dash mount would be too far away for my old eyes to see it......I just use a RAM suction cup on the windshield when I need to use it in my truck.....I have a cigarette lighter to SAE plug adapter.....

017_zpsoxbevqnc.jpg

The Garmin cig. adapter powers and charges.  It also works with other Garmin models, so if you want to switch from one type of Gramin GPS to another, like going from a 60 to Montana depending on your ride, you don't have to rewire everything.  Just change the RAM cradle out.

Downside is that it takes up your cig. power plug so you can't plug in your magarita blender/radio charger, etc. at the same time.

22 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Sweet set up.......I don't really notice any vibration issues even though mine is hard mounted to the top clamp........I guess the forks are doing their job........

Probably overkill but it works well. I have about 2500 miles logged on the setup with 0 issues so far - knock on wood - cause I'm headed to Utah for a 5 day dual sport ride in a few weeks.