Sign in to follow this  
MacDuncan

jawbone/dove/Red Rock canyon/Onyx/Aquaduct 2 ?

G-morning. I will soon be roaming somewhere out that way. I am the guest of a ride or 2 that others have organized. I anticipate a couple of 2-3+ hour loops from wherever the official campsite will be along hiway 14, a bit past Red Rock Canyon, maybe on the west side.  However, since I don't know the area and it is a bit of a drive for a couple day outing, I think it would be to my advantage to ride a day or 2 longer to make the travel outing more valuable and to wander some new areas (I think the area is all below snow level at this time, so I know not to go up into the Sierras above Lake Isabella at this time), but it would be great to get an idea of routes I should consider being out that way as a newbie to the area. I could re-park the truck at a new trailhead for each ride if there something to see to see in that region that is pretty cool.  I am good just wandering around to check out the landscape, but many of you know the highlights of the region or nice backcountry roads that would make a good 80 mile loop.  If you have any info for me, or a waypoint, or even tracks, feel free to PM the info or post. (warnings of where not to go may also be valued   :)  ) Thanks.  Cheers. 

Thanks 556, I don't think I need the GPS info for that as I think I can find it, but any input as to whether I should consider North, s, e, w from above red rock canyon along 14 to experience some diverse terrain and nice long jeep roads would be appreciated.  I know Jawbone has a bunch of wild stuff, but looking for more wandering roads for adventure than motocross action.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  How is the rain today :), and I would hope that as long as I don't head north into the sierras, I won't need snow shoes-  haha. Cheers.  Thanks 

Looks like some rain this coming weekend. However, snow seems to have melted. East of 14 has miles of open desert, there's a map for that area made by, "Friends of Jawbone Canyon. Tons of cool stuff, like plane crashes, weird desert type stuff. Haven't done much of the eastern sections, but I hear it is really good. 

Thanks again Baller, Just home from Hiway 14.  I will post in "rides".  Thanks for reaching out and offering info.  Cheers.