Mr.JAJA

Yamaha rider killed?

I just watched the news. A Yamaha dirt bike rider got killed in a accident today on Highland valley road around 3 PM. 

I hope we get more information how it happened.

Stay safe guys and ride with your limits.

Mr.JAJA

Two similar articles: http://www.cbs8.com/story/34415610/fatal-motorcycle-crash-in-ramona

san-pasqual-crash

SAN PASQUAL, Calif. – A motorcyclist was killed in a collision on a rural road west of Ramona Thursday afternoon.

The crash occurred about 3 p.m. on Highland Valley Road, near Highland Trails Drive in the unincorporated San Pasqual area, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The victim, whose name was not immediately available, died at the scene of the accident.

The CHP blocked off the roadway to through traffic between Archie Moore and Bandy Canyon roads to allow for investigation and cleanup. The closure was expected to last into the early evening.

I ride Highland Valley road (HVR) to and from work on a motorcycle 4 to 5 days a week. I came up on this collision on my way home today about 10 minutes after it occurred. I don't know the guy, but I have seen him several times on HVR around the same time of day commuting.

And another one yesterday. ?

http://www.kusi.com/story/34419596/motorcyclist-killed-in-when-striking-car-making-u-turn

A grim reminder that we as motorcyclists are constantly at risk and must ride accordingly.

Please be safe out there my bothers and sisters.

Motorcyclist killed when striking car making u-turn

Posted: Feb 03, 2017 7:29 AM PST

Updated: Feb 03, 2017 7:29 AM PST

The headline should read, "Motorcyclist killed by car making improper u-turn."

OCEANSIDE (KUSI) — A 36-year-old man was fatally injured when the motorcycle he was riding struck a car making a U-turn in front of him on an Oceanside roadway, police said Friday.

The crash on El Camino Real near Basel Street was reported around 5:40 p.m. Thursday.

"The collision occurred when the driver of the sedan made a U-turn in front of the motorcycle," Oceanside police Lt. Daniel Sullivan said. "The motorcyclist struck the sedan on the passenger door ejecting him from the bike."

Officers arrived to find the downed rider not breathing. He was taken to a hospital and died a short time later, Sullivan said. The victim's name was withheld pending family notification.

A passenger in the Toyota sedan suffered minor injuries in the crash and was taken to a hospital to be treated, Sullivan said.

Sullivan said the car's driver was interviewed at the scene and released. Intoxication was not believed to have been a factor in the accident.

Police have launched an investigation into the crash. Anyone with additional information was asked to call Accident Investigator Bryan Hendrix at (760) 435-4882.

Strike 3. Another U-turn incident, which are among the top dangers for motorcyclist. Whenever a car a head of you pulls to the side of the road, be prepared that he might make a u turn in front of you.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Valley-Center-Mtorocyclist-Identified-as-Victim-in-State-Route-79-Crash-ME-412470453.html

I was riding my 500 home from the desert on Saturday and was about a mile from my house following a car at about 35 mph. The car slowed and pulled to the right he then made a sudden left turn into a driveway. I was just about to pull around him and grabbed both brakes and skidded to a stop. I yelled that a turn signal would have been nice, but I doubt that he heard me and I didn't need to start anything so I just proceeded on my way. When riding we have to be ready 100% of the time. 

CiD

3 hours ago, Oracle said:

among the top dangers for motorcyclist.

Yes, I got caught in one of these on Palomar about 20 years ago, my then-girlfriend on the back. I had slowed a lot trying to predict the behavior of the car that had pulled right to let me pass.

Not so. I overestimated his intelligence. My bad.

He had pulled to the right shoulder to execute his left-hand cross-highway U-turn.

I ended up splayed across his hood and (once I established the GF was OK) proceeded to beat on the windshield until it fractured and buckled.

His rental car company threatened to sue me for all the damages- sent a demand note. I sued them in Escondido small claims- they sent a lawyer, an adjuster and the defendant from Indiana, where he lived. I knew I was going to be ok when the judge asked the defendant:

"I own the property adjacent to this curve- what were you thinking making a U turn there?"

Just yesterday morning a driver of a car pulled to the right in front of me, like he was turning right. He then turned left to attempt a u turn over a double line. I was lucky and was able to slip by in front of him by inches.

17 hours ago, Oracle said:

Strike 3. Another U-turn incident, which are among the top dangers for motorcyclist. Whenever a car a head of you pulls to the side of the road, be prepared that he might make a u turn in front of you.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Valley-Center-Mtorocyclist-Identified-as-Victim-in-State-Route-79-Crash-ME-412470453.html

Thats are 2 in two days. Let's get out of here. 

R.I.P.

I have seen this on TV but we're not sure if this were old or not. So 3 dead in 2 day's, that ar 3 to many.

15 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I was riding my 500 home from the desert on Saturday and was about a mile from my house following a car at about 35 mph. The car slowed and pulled to the right he then made a sudden left turn into a driveway. I was just about to pull around him and grabbed both brakes and skidded to a stop. I yelled that a turn signal would have been nice, but I doubt that he heard me and I didn't need to start anything so I just proceeded on my way. When riding we have to be ready 100% of the time. 

CiD

Who know what the Signals are for? Turn the hazard flasher on to get a Burrito. Not even the coops use them. I rely on eye contact to the side mirror and mouvement.

Motorcyclist dies in head-on crash with car near Ramona

NORTH COUNTY

An 83-year-old motorcyclist died after being struck head-on by a car on a road west of Ramona Thursday, a California Highway Patrol officer said. 

The rider was headed north on Highland Valley Road when he was hit by a southbound driver who crossed double yellow lines near Highland Trails Drive about 3 p.m., CHP Officer Kevin Pearlstein said. 

The impact from the collision threw the man from the 2017 Yamaha WR250R motorcycle, Pearlstein said. The rider died before he could be taken to a hospital. He was identified Friday by the Medical Examiner’s Office as John Henry Morgan of Poway.

The driver of the 2006 Ford Crown Victoria was not hurt. 

Officials said neither drugs nor alcohol was a factor in the crash.

"Officials said neither drugs nor alcohol was a factor in the crash."

what about cell phone use?

Just now, Wierdrider said:

"Officials said neither drugs nor alcohol was a factor in the crash."

what about cell phone use?

Or reckless endangerment. Or involuntary manslaughter.

50 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

83 yr old and riding a dualsport. Awesome. RIP sir.

Did anyone know this man?

Wonder why they did not release any info about the driver of the vehicle?

This is the rider who died in this accident:

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=John-Morgen&lc=1954&pid=184062826&mid=7284497

Sad story, but it's great that he was still out there doing what he loved at 83. He was riding a 2017 WR250R.

Edit: I didn't read back through the whole thread before I posted but see now that paulmbowers already posted the gentleman's name a couple of weeks ago. Although they misspelled his last name in that article. The obit is worth reading, though. One thing to have a name, another to see a face and read the life story.

Man, that just totally sucks.

I try to avoid Wildcat Canyon and HVR both.

My brother-in-law was struck head on on wildcat canyon rd a few years ago in his 4-runner by a sports car that crossed over the DY.  The sports car went under the 4-runner causing it to roll.  My brother-in-law was concussed, but otherwise OK.  He lives in Ramona and drives that road often, but recognizes that it and HVR are both frequently closed for accidents.

Back when I used to ride Palomar regularly I was following another rider when a driver in front of us pulling a trailer pulled to the side of the road to let us by - NOT!  Just as the rider in front of me started to pass the driver, he whipped a left hand turn into one of the properties on the mountain - he'd pulled to the side to make a wide turn and never even saw us.  The rider in front of me braked really hard to the point of doing several stoppies and almost avoided contact but just struck the left front tire of the other vehicle causing $1000+ in damage to the bike but fortunately no injury.  Driver was cited for improper left hand turn and failing to signal.

When riding a dual sport ride near Beaumont we were on a street section between two trails when the driver in front of us pulled over to let us pass - NOT!  Just as the rider in front of me was about to pass the car, the driver initiated a U-turn.  Fortunately we were going slow - 25 MPH per the speed limit - and the rider was able to stop.  The young lady driver in the car had eyes the size of saucers looking at the dirt bike that stopped about 2 ft from her window.

Since then I've been really careful whenever someone "pulls over" for me.

On 2/4/2017 at 9:41 AM, paulmbowers said:

It's quite possible, depending on the circumstance of course, that the driver could be subject to some kind of criminal prosecution if he is in fact determined to be primarily at fault.

25 minutes ago, Oracle said:

It's quite possible, depending on the circumstance of course, that the driver could be subject to some kind of criminal prosecution if he is in fact determined to be primarily at fault.

Man, I would hope so. There's usually tragedy on both sides of something like this. I could have been on either end of something like this many times so I'm not going to make any judgments without all the facts. But if Mr. Crown Vic was negligent then sorry doesn't really cut it. Somebody mentioned texting. If that's what happened then I definitely have zero mercy for Mr. CV. That's as bad or worse than driving drunk.