Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Garmin InReach Explorer

Link to GPS Training Review   

First of the Garmin / Delorme Communicators -   The reviewer states this is not a replacement for dedicated navigator but has basic routing. waypoints and topo maps. Driven by the Earthmate App and Iridium satellite system. Also utilizes lithium ion 100hr rechargeable battery.  Gotta find out how the keyboard works!

I expect more products to follow.  Bags

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-inreach-explorer-plus-satellite-communicator.html

FYI, in set-up, the 10 minute ping choice, free using this time increment, does a good job of informing others of my whereabouts, either to have the beer cold upon my return, or to find me and my bike if I haven't moved for quite some time (mechanical or bif).  A very good instrument when solo adventuring (and thats not even taking into account the satellite communications for 911 rescue and texting as well) . Others can see your location on their cell phone live (but pre-set up on computer to transfer data onto unit for riding buds and family/friends watching is best). Thanks Governor.  I only use it in my backpack, as the GPSMap 78 is still better for the handlebars following tracks and routes for me.  cheers

I got the Explorer for my OZ trip. I will start next Sunday and some have here have my web page to keep an eye on me while I am in the outback, (No, not the blooming onion Steakhouse) Tried it over the last 10 days and play to learn with it. Sofar it looks good.