Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

Anyone use online training programs?

It's been about 5 years since I got out of the military and my life has mostly consisted of classrooms and cubicles.  My disipline has gone to crap and getting to the gym is painful sometimes.  Thinking about some kind of online training program, for the sake of accountability, at least until I can get back to where I was.  For me, mentally I need something to train for to motivate me in the long run.  Last year I was hoping to complete a complete D38 desert season, but work took over the second half of the season.  The project I'm working on now at work should be slowing down, so hopefully after this month I can the make rest of the season and see how that goes.  

Has anyone used an online program?  Any recommendations?  I've reached out to DA8, since price is comparable to various other programs and they offer a sport specific training program.  I can't find any reviews though.  Seems if desert racing is what I want to train for its a no brainier, but not sure of what it exactly entails.   Seems online training is hit or miss for other businesses.  I find just as many bad reviews as good for almost anyone.  

For those that compete, what's your training consist of?  im not looking to win and make a career,. But I do want to improve and get better in a sport I love.  

Endurance Nation. Rich - Too Wheels Good  rides with some of us sometime. 

Years ago I joined CrossFitPB and got in incredible physical condition. Since then, the gym has changed locations and owners and I'm no longer a member, but one of the owners has started a website for people like me (and his wife) that travel extensively for work.

Www.activetravelernetwork.com

Bryan has devoted his life to coaching athletes and has a tremendous depth of knowledge. Fitness is fitness and doesn't need to be moto specific to improve your riding ability or stamina in the saddle. Even Graham Jarvis told me so. Obviously you'll never get better at riding if you don't ride, but your fitness and stamina will maintain your better riding ability for longer. 

The workouts on the website require minimal equipment and will get your heart and lungs burning and turn your core to steel. 

Just another tool in the chest and Bryan is a local and runs San Diego Athletics in PB. 

If you want accountability get a partner and meet at a work out somewhere, it doesn't have to be a gym. But you don't want to leave your partner down.  Now for me, after join Fit Body Boot Camp about a year ago that I learned about from Crawdaddy, I'm 30lb down, off my BP Meds and lowered my cholesterol 40 points. I go   4 days a week. I have also made serious changes to my diet. As for my accountability is my wife, even though are scheduling and what kind of work out we like we do our own thing but are together on food. 

For tracking (and a bit of motivation) I've enjoyed using fitocracy. The best program is the one you'll stick with. For bodyweight stuff I like convict conditioning, but if you've got access to weights I recommend Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. 

so i ended up going with DA8, mostly out of curiosity.  prices for this type of service seem to be about the same across the aboard.  I was kind of expecting DA8 to be more expensive, to have the privilege to say you have an electronic work out program that is affiliated with Destry himself.  But its about the same as every other online system and doesnt require any kind of long term commitment.  I will give it a shot for a bit and see where it goes.

PastaPilot, wish I checked the active traveler network before I did the DA8, looks legit.  maybe if this falls through.

Socalhodaka - man I would love a triaining partner!!  but at this point Im not at home on any regular schedule, between 2-3 locations.  My gym times are all over the place when I am home.  I dont think I would be a very good partner.  I do know it works though!  I wouldnt have been able to do half of what I did in the military without a workout partner, or someone to share the misery with.  If I ever get a regular schedule crossfit would be my program of choice.  Get to share the misery with everyone..lol

Hopefully over the next couple months I can get my mental act together and ween myself off of this.  Its honestly for the sake of accountability.  My discipline is garbage at the moment.  Getting a few emails and notices throughout the day reminding me I got stuff to work on is annoying and reassuring at the same time.