Goofy Footer

Husaberg 570 vs KTM 500

I have a friend in the market, looking for a big bore (ideally fuel injected) street legal moto.  Any input is appreciated

I know we have at least 2 570s in the club currently and a lot of 500s. 

[Not sure if there are many 530 riders?  The 525 seems more popular]

Aftermarket fuel tanks for the Berg ? Does anyone make one . A few choices for the KTM,s 

Have my 570 berg love it, torque monster. But fuel range is an issue only expensive safari tanks now mine does have the 70° extra subframe tank (no longer available)120mile range. I have extra ktm 640 rear wheel cush hub so can hit 80mph+ all day with dual sport wheel then switch to dirt setup and gearing in 5 minutes. I dont think ill ever sell it but a 530 or 500 would be a better choice but i like the rare and unusal bikes. Also if hes buying a 570 the countershaft wear on a used bike thats been dual sported is an issue mine was due and means splitting cases $$$. Goofy text or call with any other questions i researched the hell out of them. Fyi tell him to get a 530 or 500ktm berg 570s are too much money for what you get

Woa thanks for the honest reply bp619

In regards to the 08-11 400-450-530 KTM motors:

I've read that the 08-10 models need their plastic oil pump gears replaced?

Blais Racing selling nice aluminum gears.

Also, Blais does a mod which creates a single oiling system vs split oiling (trans and piston) like the Honda 450x. Is this a required mod?

I "think" the great SicVic did this mod upon full motor rebuild but not certain.

i-7MBmQSR-L.jpg

KTMs will never work out as Adventure Bikes.

Well maybe,  if you don't want to use a Street-bike.  These guys did Lockhart Basin in 1.5 days, we took 3 hrs. You really have a choice of one.

a365c49d27a334755a5119615125e9c0.jpg

Bagstr, thanks for the reply. I think it's a matter of semantics as to the definition of "adventure" imho.

If you and those bmw piggies did the same trail, were you not on the same adventure?

4 days in baja dirt = adventure

500 miles in Nevada Backcountry = adventure

BigDog from ADV did a 16 day, 2000mi baja ride in 2016 on a brand new 350exc. He never changed the oil nor air filter (he was in lead).

MotoNomad ran 7000km to Egypt and across Mongolia on new 500s (great videos, I own both btw).

The 500 motor seems like a great "dirt focused lightweight" adventure bike.

The oiling system on the 530 has me somewhat perplexed.

I guess I'm asking if there is value in the 530 model line (vs a 500 or 570) at this time considering possible oil modification and carb?

"  The 500 motor seems like a great "dirt focused lightweight" adventure bike. "     Agreed,  least work, maximum  Adventure

3 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Any 08-11 KTM motor oil experts out there?

Why, certainly, I'm an expert on motor oil!

20 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Why, certainly, I'm an expert on motor oil!

My question was a bit more specific. 

There are guys with 08-11 that are splitting the cases to drill them so that the dual oil tanks can be combined into one 1500ml+ single system.  Then, they are buying aluminum oil gears and new gaskets etc. 

Is this really needed? 

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

My question was a bit more specific. 

There are guys with 08-11 that are splitting the cases to drill them so that the dual oil tanks can be combined into one 1500ml+ single system.  Then, they are buying aluminum oil gears and new gaskets etc. 

Is this really needed? 

No it's not needed.  If you choose to drill them out then I probably would buy the upgraded gears because you are now allowing all the clutch/transmission bits into your motor oil.  I owned two bikes of that specific era.  I put well over 1200 hours on one motor and 8-900 on another without so much as a hick-up on either bike. Top end rebuilds only on both bike and sold both of them.  As far as i know both are still alive out there.  

11 minutes ago, hobiee said:

No it's not needed.  If you choose to drill them out then I probably would buy the upgraded gears because you are now allowing all the clutch/transmission bits into your motor oil.  I owned two bikes of that specific era.  I put well over 1200 hours on one motor and 8-900 on another without so much as a hick-up on either bike. Top end rebuilds only on both bike and sold both of them.  As far as i know both are still alive out there.  

Woa excellent info thanks Hobiee.  What years were your bikes?  Seems like by '10 and '11 the motor was more dialed in

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

Woa excellent info thanks Hobiee.  What years were your bikes?  Seems like by '10 and '11 the motor was more dialed in

08 and 09

On 1/13/2017 at 5:44 PM, hobiee said:

08 and 09

That's quite impressive. 

For the 2012 500/350 model lines, I've read some discussion as to FI issues.  Seems that they were resolved in later years.  What tweaks may be suggested for a 2012 model?

Thanks for the info... I look forward to swapping out the dizzer later this year...

On 1/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, Goofy Footer said:

That's quite impressive. 

For the 2012 500/350 model lines, I've read some discussion as to FI issues.  Seems that they were resolved in later years.  What tweaks may be suggested for a 2012 model?

I believe the problem you are talking about was simply a pre-filter on the fuel lines.  The filter was found to be to fine causing very slight interruptions in fuel supply but enough to cause problems. The fix is simple the filter is in the quick connect fitting on the fuel lines. I do remember a couple of bikes coming through needing to have some adjustments on the throttle body as well but these are again simple tweaks done in minutes.  My 2013 500 needed to be tuned slightly as it came through.  It took literally 8 minutes and it wasn't touched again until I dunked the bike into a lake in Colorado..............  189 hours later.   LOL  story for another thread I suppose.