Sign in to follow this  
Dylan

Pine Valley- Gate CLOSED 1/8/17

I did a quick search and didn't see any reference to this, but I drove out Sunday for a quick Pine Valley run and the gate was closed. Figured I might save someone the crippling depression I experienced!

Well, there's always McCain Valley about 15 miles further out.  I personally have never found that area closed for anything.

there's always corral canyon. just around the hill

1Kstep and I talked with some Jeepers at McCain on Dec. 30th.  (We thought it odd for Jeepers to be at McCain.)  They were inquiring about any good jeep trails in the immediate area and we told them nothing great at McCain, but CC was just up the road with great stuff.  (Not giving them much credit for knowing the area for jeep trails ;). )  Then they told us they had just come from CC and the gate going up was closed there as well.  They were able to speak with a ranger who informed them that the FS (might have the proper agency wrong) thought there was risk of road washout damage from the rains, so the FS decided to close the road up to CC.  Also mentioned the Pine Valley gate fire road, but they said that road was boring, so appears they were not mistaken about where they were when speaking with the ranger.  So possibly (hopefully) nothing more than rain related??

34 minutes ago, Chad said:

1Kstep and I talked with some Jeepers at McCain on Dec. 30th.  (We thought it odd for Jeepers to be at McCain.)  They were inquiring about any good jeep trails in the immediate area and we told them nothing great at McCain, but CC was just up the road with great stuff.  (Not giving them much credit for knowing the area for jeep trails ;). )  Then they told us they had just come from CC and the gate going up was closed there as well.  They were able to speak with a ranger who informed them that the FS (might have the proper agency wrong) thought there was risk of road washout damage from the rains, so the FS decided to close the road up to CC.  Also mentioned the Pine Valley gate fire road, but they said that road was boring, so appears they were not mistaken about where they were when speaking with the ranger.  So possibly (hopefully) nothing more than rain related??

Seems like all the gates to any USF routes get closed after any storms around here.  They don't want anybody on them, until they get out and inspect them....whenever that is.

I talked to a ranger at corral a week ago.  He said they close the road because people like to go "mudding" and wreck the fire road which was already in need of some serious grading.  He said they leave kernan open to bikes because theres no way they can even try to keep dirtbikes out.

1 hour ago, Spaugh said:

I talked to a ranger at corral a week ago.  He said they close the road because people like to go "mudding" and wreck the fire road which was already in need of some serious grading. 

The offroaders also get their 4X4s mired down and stuck in the worst places, sometimes for a week or more.