News to me but Coyote Cals now has Wifi. 

So does Pirates Cove in Camalu and the Santa Maria Hotel in San Quintin

unknown if wifi is available at Quatro Casas in San Telmo (between Colonet and Camalu) or Mikes

None at Mikes yet but he does have a working router on the counter in the dining room so not sure what's up with that. It was nice to have it at Cal's to let family know all is good.

What is the cost of Mike's these days?

Cal's was $20 room, (food optional = $15 dinner / $7 breakfast)

Quatro Casas was $20 and didn't have food when we went by

Report of Alfonsinas being $100

Mike's was $90 per person, no matter how many were stuffed in a room.  I heard it often tops $100 on some weekends, though. Comes with a good meal, though!

And I've stayed in the dorm-style rooms at CC's at $12 a person, and that included dinner and breakfast. 

Woa Mike's is pricey.  

What about El Coyote and Rancho Meling?  If coming from Valle T, there will be far less traffic at those places.

Afry, how much is Horsepower Ranch? Wifi there?

See my notes on Cals current pricing above. Food is no longer included.

Remember that most (all?) US T-Mobile plans include free texting and data in MX (prepaid plans as well, so use/acticate only while in mx if you wish), calls from & to are cheap too. Coverage isnt perfect but its there. My 2c to stay in touch

Kato, great info. A prepaid card phone for Baja would be an interesting option then.

With data I assume you can send picture messages?

Do you know of there are any additional charges for a person on the US side?

51 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Woa Mike's is pricey.  

What about El Coyote and Rancho Meling?  If coming from Valle T, there will be far less traffic at those places.

Afry, how much is Horsepower Ranch? Wifi there?

See my notes on Cals current pricing above. Food is no longer included.

El Coyote is a great option if you're in that area.  

Dang! When did CCs change the pricing? I was there in 2016. That was quite a deal, too. Ah, prolly the peso drop...

4 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Dan Diego, do you recall El Coyote's pricing?

$65 includes dinner and breakfast. I'm related to the owners, as it were...

http://www.ranchoelcoyote.com/

1 hour ago, kato said:

Remember that most (all?) US T-Mobile plans include free texting and data in MX (prepaid plans as well, so use/acticate only while in mx if you wish), calls from & to are cheap too. Coverage isnt perfect but its there. My 2c to stay in touch

Att just switched to add some mexico service for free check with them

On 1/9/2017 at 2:12 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Kato, great info. A prepaid card phone for Baja would be an interesting option then.

With data I assume you can send picture messages?

Do you know of there are any additional charges for a person on the US side?

No charge from US.

Yes on Pics, google maps, etc..

Text is definitely useful even when out of service, send text and store phone back in backpak, it will send eventually whens device finds service.

My Verizon plans covers Mex & Canada with same package as U.S........

I've heard Alfonsia's is getting pricey........heading down there in February and staying a bit north at Punta Bufeo......I'll report back after that trip......

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread, but was planning on doing a 3-day Baja blast w Rigger this weekend (Tecate -> Meling -> Coyote Cals) but am reading all about protests and unrest due to gas prices at the New Year.  They apparently hijacked a fuel tanker in Rosarito within the last couple days and a friend said they experienced several days delay headed from Cabo due to bridges being blockaded by burning tires and fuel through northern Baja was scarce.  Anyone have any up-to-date info on safety and whether gas will be avail @ Sawmill or Valley T these days? 

http://www.bajainsider.com/article/gasoline-price-hike-sparks-protests-still-shortages

EDIT:  Talked to Goofy, sounds like this weekend is not good timing for a big loop.  Trip postponed.

HP Ranch is $100 and includes the breakfast and dinner - awesome food! Best $7 margarita in Baja as well.

2 hours ago, mtnmanseth said:

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread, but was planning on doing a 3-day Baja blast w Rigger this weekend (Tecate -> Meling -> Coyote Cals) but am reading all about protests and unrest due to gas prices at the New Year.  They apparently hijacked a fuel tanker in Rosarito within the last couple days and a friend said they experienced several days delay headed from Cabo due to bridges being blockaded by burning tires and fuel through northern Baja was scarce.  Anyone have any up-to-date info on safety and whether gas will be avail @ Sawmill or Valley T these days? 

http://www.bajainsider.com/article/gasoline-price-hike-sparks-protests-still-shortages

EDIT:  Talked to Goofy, sounds like this weekend is not good timing for a big loop.  Trip postponed.

would love to join you guys whenever you reschedule if there's room for 1 more. 

Good info on the phones Kato, bp619 and Crawdaddy. 

My personal Verizon plan does not include Mexico but I'm toying with the idea of a pre-paid phone for travels (esp if I can navigate satellite imagery on it but that is a far different thread)

sdchronix, check this:

In San Quintin -- Mision Santa Maria has free wifi

In Catavina - Mision Catavina has wifi but charges by the data volume

My Verizon phone doesn't have any special coverage but I discovered I had text capability from Cabo. 

24 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

My Verizon phone doesn't have any special coverage but I discovered I had text capability from Cabo. 

Did you also discover a huge bill in San Diego?

iMessage can be used via wifi.  I have seen Messenger apps that use wifi on both Android and iPhone platforms. 

I "believe" but am not 100% certain, Text Messages on a iPhone require data.

Im not a huge facebook person but the private messenger on facebook works just like texting between phones and is free if you are on Wifi in Baja. You can even make calls. I have used it many times from Baja Norte all the way down to Cabo. Just make sure you are running on Wifi and not mobile data. Never had any strange fees on my verizon bill afterwards. Just my $.02

11 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Did you also discover a huge bill in San Diego?

I recall that there was a charge per text, but it wasn't too much. It was prior to my iPhone (or FB).

FB Messenger, Skype and the like are the new way of communicating, when wi-fi is available. 

I have a pretty basic Verizon plan. When I cross into Mexico, everything works. Coverage isn't great in some rural areas, but that's to be expected. Verizon automatically charges $2 per day for each 24 hour period when the phone is used in Mexico. So if you use your phone in Mexico for three days during your billing cycle, you will only pay an additional $6 for unlimited usage in Mexico during those three days. There are no additional charges from Mexican carriers. This works in Baja and on the mainland. Just call Verizon and tell them you want this service. 

Ah, that makes sense as I hadn't asked for any additional (Mexico) service and the cost was minimal. 

Good info, thanks!