Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

San Diego/Tecate to Cabo San Lucas trip

A group of my crew are doing the peninsula trip. (Not me) Truthfully its not my thing at all, I'd rather fly. But as a moto nut I still appreciate it, so here is one of the machines ,

Husqvarna FE350(S)  prepped for the long distance 250 mile plus days heading south for the cape. taller final drive gear change, sheepskin saddle cover, giant loop gear, GPS mount, Comm hook ups, Maxxis desert IT, GT126AA DST,both moussed with copious amounts of lube, Acerbis huge tank, (ZipTy Forks, Trax shock, Baja designs headlight, FMF silencer,  is all the other stuff he normally has on the bike (for trail rides, Tecate Enduro, etc). and even got one of those throttle holder levers

20161219_185927.jpg

....and a cookie monster coffee cup"

Dude, clean your garage, j/k man

So this is kinda like an informal Rip to Cabo?

Whats with the sheepskin?

What is that no bull sticker?

Hows that throttle lock dealio work out for your buddy?

Safety wire around the bark buster?

11 minutes ago, rubarb said:

....and a cookie monster coffee cup"

Dude, clean your garage, j/k man

So this is kinda like an informal Rip to Cabo?

Whats with the sheepskin?

What is that no bull sticker?

Hows that throttle lock dealio work out for your buddy?

Safety wire around the bark buster?

Maybe...

This weekend is clean up and gear inventory owner says

Nothing informal about getting a @6 man group together to finish 1k miles to the cape

RAF and other Airforces have used them for long hour missions with great success, owner has used it for past long range events.

Yes that is the no BS sticker

first time using the throttle holder , but when I tried it , it will work well for those long legs.

just working stuff, will not be there when he rolls.

PS this is not me or my bike. This type of deal is not my thing.

ha, I see what you did there lol

So what about that frame tape, does that pre-cut stuff hold up? I normally use the skateboard grip tape, little more durable, but sucks trying to cut it to size, not as clean and factory looking as the pre-cut stuff.

OEM catalog grip $20 tape seems to hold up  he uses it and is a fairly hardcore rider/ racer so if it was going to peel, it would have already, I don't use it on my TE300.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3318/48071/Husqvarna-Frame-Decals?v=12412

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3318/48123/Nihilo-Concepts-Frame-Grip-Tape?v=12412

On 12/20/2016 at 8:23 AM, robertaccio said:

A group of my crew are doing the peninsula trip. (Not me) Truthfully its not my thing at all, I'd rather fly. But as a moto nut I still appreciate it, so here is one of the machines ,

Husqvarna FE350(S)  prepped for the long distance 250 mile plus days heading south for the cape. taller final drive gear change, sheepskin saddle cover, giant loop gear, GPS mount, Comm hook ups, Maxxis desert IT, GT126AA DST,both moussed with copious amounts of lube, Acerbis huge tank, (ZipTy Forks, Trax shock, Baja designs headlight, FMF silencer,  is all the other stuff he normally has on the bike (for trail rides, Tecate Enduro, etc). and even got one of those throttle holder levers

20161219_185927.jpg

That fur is going to get stinky!

IDK, I make it habit not to go around sniffing seats......

They made it from the snow of Tecate to the beach of the Office (bar) in Cabo San Lucas with barely an issue (8 riders) . 6 days of travel. The bikes are on the way back up on the truck, most of the riders are back here in SD. 1400 miles on dirtbikes including some fairly serious rough single track (expert said it was sporty stuff) along the way. After all the stories...it really still is not my gig. But good on them. mix of bikes from 2ea 350s to an XR650 and some 450/500s in between 6 KTM/Husky and 2 Honda products. I guess I'm really not an ADV rider. The 2 day enduro format is enough for me.

Wow, average of 233 miles/day for 6 days.  That's intense.  I would certainly get my moto fix and gladly put my bike on a truck after that trip!  It's on my must-do list in the next few years, I'll have to connect with Andy re: route and trip prep.  Thanks for update.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:46 PM, mtnmanseth said:

Wow, average of 233 miles/day for 6 days.  That's intense.  I would certainly get my moto fix and gladly put my bike on a truck after that trip!  It's on my must-do list in the next few years, I'll have to connect with Andy re: route and trip prep.  Thanks for update.

Seth, They already said they were doing it again next year...actually that would be this year. Your big 4 stroke is the ticket for that adventure. Although at least 2 were on their Austrian 350s (1 KTM, 1 Husky)

Any idea what their route was? A few of us have been kicking around the idea of doing this trip.  We have done a couple 3 day 200+ mile/ day trips in Baja and it's crazy to think it's still fun on the last day.  

11 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Route was south <_<

That is about as much as I know, I'm just a bystander to that trip made by some of my crew. good answer.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:57 PM, MXman said:

Any idea what their route was? A few of us have been kicking around the idea of doing this trip.  We have done a couple 3 day 200+ mile/ day trips in Baja and it's crazy to think it's still fun on the last day.  

I did it back in March. 7 1/2 days Tecate to San Jose Del Cabo. 1500+ miles and it was still really fun on the last day. Kinda sad to have to end it. Will definitely do it again.

5 hours ago, mkccmc said:

I did it back in March. 7 1/2 days Tecate to San Jose Del Cabo. 1500+ miles and it was still really fun on the last day. Kinda sad to have to end it. Will definitely do it again.

Hmmm sounds like fun and will provide beer for  chat and gps tracks