Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Escondido BMW and San Diego BMW

I need a ceramic clutch put in, drive train checked, bike checked out on my 1150GS, before heading south to MX and South America on our RTW journey.

Debating which of these shops to go to.....anyone have experience with major mechanical work at either one ?

I know people at both shops, but have never had service done there.

Thanks.

I would do it myself so you learn your bike. Are their reliable shops when you need repairs in third world countries? Andrea learn how to work on her bikes before they headed down south. My two cents. 

1 hour ago, kkug said:

I would do it myself so you learn your bike. Are their reliable shops when you need repairs in third world countries? Andrea learn how to work on her bikes before they headed down south. My two cents. 

I agree that learning to work on your own bike is good (and there are plenty of clutch replacement videos for the bike on Youtube), but replacing a clutch on one of those is a crapload of work (which I have had to do on a boxer engine, before), since you have to remove the entire transmission case to get to the clutch.  Hopefully you will never have to do that sort of repair in a third world country!

Yeah, the whole motor has to come out of bike....I really don't want to mess with that.....everything else I can do if I have to.

In your case you would have to drop the hack and then the engine. FUN, FUN, FUN!:D

1 hour ago, carguy said:

Ceramic clutches are really grabby.

But, judging from other round the world travelers with a heavy sidecar rig, they are pretty much a necessity for longevity. 

And yes, I have to remove the Sidehack completely before taking it in.

My dad has always had fair and good quality service on his rt at sdbmw. surprisingly there isnt some independent shop that specializes in bmw bikes 

Dave Campbell is an honest and reliable option, one that I have used to put in a clutch on my first 1150GS.  BUT, he's a one man operation and this job is an all day deal for him that he may not have time to do.  The last time I was at his shop he had 10 bikes out front waiting for service.

As for SDBMW, they are our primary shop for all service.  We've had excellent service and quality work but due to some major turnover this past year, they are struggling a bit to regain their previous prowess.  I have no opinion one way or the other on Esco, I don't go there if I don't have to...