meatmord

Biker Hauler Question

You know those things that go into your trailer hitch and carry a bike sideways on the back of your truck? I need one (because I am putting the camper shell back on my truck [to make room for more crap in my garage and to turn my truck into a mobile command center Apocalypse craft]).

There are some pretty cheap ones online, but I wanted to see if y'all had some strenuous warnings regarding their use or particular products. I already know Kenny hates them. 

As an update to my last post regarding CB radios...I am very interested in the ham radio world and may begin a new expensive obsession there. 

thanks. 

Ive had 3 2 singles and 1 double hauler, make sure it atleast comes with the anti-wobble clamp it actually helps. the cheap all steal ones are pretty heavy i prefer the steel main tube and aluminum for part bike rests on still strong and alot lighter

hey was up. 

i found my new one had it shipped to my house 65 bucks. 

i found it on Jet.com. As you know i run a mobile command center that goes down the mnt fixing motorcycles.. and i tow my customers bikes on the back when i feel like bringing work home, with the little carrier. With my CRF 450, i can ride up onto the carrier when im tired after a ride ,no ramp needed

it has a 500 lb rating and i carried a 505 lb Honda 650 i used to own.

i leave the carrier ouside in the rain and no problems.

when  the acyclopse happens we are gonna need our bikes ,

Get a good heavy duty one and good straps and strap the back wheel down so your bike doesn't fall off in a parking lot with a crowd of people watching. 

Dont ask how I know about that last part. 

Dont buy the cycle gear model. 

mine fell off twice because i was too stooopid to put the back wheel in the little trak thingy.

the road rash makes my bike look tough.

Personally, I think the Moto Jack rack is more secure than a Joe Hauler. However, Moto Jack Rack went out of business. I have one that I don't use, kinda like to keep it around in case I do ever need it. But if seriously interested, maybe we could work out a deal. 

There is a famous picture used for ASV advertising where someone's zook fell off a Joe Hauler and the bike was totally beat up, looked like a trophy truck drug it through Baja, needless to say, the ASV levers were still intact. For years that exact bike sat in the entrance of Cycle Pars West in Orange County. I will try to look for the picture.

Im thinking of doing the same with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have heard they trash the suspension on the vehicle though. Could depend on how hard the vehicle is driven, weight of the bike...etc. Any one experience that? Also, prefer not to spend the $300+/- on specific Joe Hauler brand but willing to do so if its worth it. Any other good ones to check out? Thanks in advance

BP619 sold me one of his used ones   http://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-600-2/

and although I would be hesitant driving rough dirt roads with it due to it being a 2 inch that needs an adapter to fit into my 2.5 inch hitch, hence a bit of wiggly......  and that it is a 2 bike carrier and sticks out back quite a bit it if I was to take it in rough short steep up/down terrain,..... it has worked great driving normal roads through the Rockies and Utah.  My decision to get a 2 bike carrier for a single bike (as many 2 bike carriers have weight restrictions that only allow 2 very lightweight dirt bikes to be carried) is that I can put my bike on the back track and still go in and out of my pop-up camper.  That is a pretty cool, and convenient, thing to do, and I can carry spidery firewood on the inside track so they are not invited into my sleeping quarters :)   and the gas smell stays outside.... just some considerations!  

Joe Hauler is on the 3rd bike and doing well!   All steel, No weld cracks. Made in San Marcos.

+1 for the Joe Hauler...been hauling the KTM and WR for YEARS without incident..."knock on wood..."

2 hours ago, StealthDingo said:

Im thinking of doing the same with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have heard they trash the suspension on the vehicle though. Could depend on how hard the vehicle is driven, weight of the bike...etc. Any one experience that? Also, prefer not to spend the $300+/- on specific Joe Hauler brand but willing to do so if its worth it. Any other good ones to check out? Thanks in advance

I hauled a 260lb bike behind my heavily over sprung (break your teeth stiff) lifted grand Cherokee for a year. Steering was a little light in crosswinds but otherwise fine. 

Id find out which hauler Rory - cr450xer uses. He hauls his bike all over the place behind his Jeep. 

Like this? I have a trailer hinge on the front and 2 additional attachment out of the bumper where I tie the hauler up with 2 turnbuckles.

P1030941.JPG

P1040084.JPG

That's the one I mentioned. I returned mine after 2 uses. A lot of work assembling it then unassembleing it and trying to fit it back in the box to get $100 back. 

I made mine.  I don't worry about what the road looks like.  Its solid.  

Kinda hard to unload sometimes

003_zpscdpjcbgt.jpg

002_zps9ywpn3au.jpg

For those who like to spend money and are too lazy to roll the bike up a ramp:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/875/-/91114/Ultimate-MX-Hauler-Motorcycle-Carrier-Black

Yeah, I forked for one of these. Works great, and I'd be very happy with the investment if I ever used it! Some day I'll find time to ride the crap out of my EXC, I know I will ...

2 hours ago, crfxer said:

I made mine.  I don't worry about what the road looks like.  Its solid.  

Kinda hard to unload sometimes

003_zpscdpjcbgt.jpg

002_zps9ywpn3au.jpg

You made that? Very impressive. I'm curious - did you save money going DIY or was this a labor of love with cost a secondary factor?

Definitely saved money as it didn't cost me anything but 3-4 hours of time.  Its been modified a few times as it was originally made for my truck then adapted for the jeep.  I like making stuff

19 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

BP619 sold me one of his used ones   http://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-600-2/

and although I would be hesitant driving rough dirt roads with it due to it being a 2 inch that needs an adapter to fit into my 2.5 inch hitch, hence a bit of wiggly......  and that it is a 2 bike carrier and sticks out back quite a bit it if I was to take it in rough short steep up/down terrain,..... it has worked great driving normal roads through the Rockies and Utah.  My decision to get a 2 bike carrier for a single bike (as many 2 bike carriers have weight restrictions that only allow 2 very lightweight dirt bikes to be carried) is that I can put my bike on the back track and still go in and out of my pop-up camper.  That is a pretty cool, and convenient, thing to do, and I can carry spidery firewood on the inside track so they are not invited into my sleeping quarters :)   and the gas smell stays outside.... just some considerations!  

That's still a lot of tongue weight mainly due to the cantilever installation.

14 hours ago, arjayes said:

For those who like to spend money and are too lazy to roll the bike up a ramp:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/875/-/91114/Ultimate-MX-Hauler-Motorcycle-Carrier-Black

Yeah, I forked for one of these. Works great, and I'd be very happy with the investment if I ever used it! Some day I'll find time to ride the crap out of my EXC, I know I will ...

That thing is cool, that's like the motojack rack design, solid mechanical security, peace of mind with that product imo