meatmord

Biker Hauler Question

17 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Like this? I have a trailer hinge on the front and 2 additional attachment out of the bumper where I tie the hauler up with 2 turnbuckles.

P1030941.JPG

P1040084.JPG

Dude ! Rad Baja set up, you can get in and out of Seven Sisters every time!

And yes, I limit this to a 650 ccm Bike. The BMW 1150 will not go on this carrier. No wiggle, wagel or wugel....the black rubber cover is to keep the light reflection down, for night driving.

1 hour ago, rubarb said:

Can you post an under carriage shot?

I will set it up on the weekend and take a shot or two. or you come up to Ramona and check it out your self.

16 hours ago, crfxer said:

I made mine.  I don't worry about what the road looks like.  Its solid.  

Kinda hard to unload sometimes

003_zpscdpjcbgt.jpg

002_zps9ywpn3au.jpg

Nice rack, nicer jeep. Well done ! Im hoping to pick up a joe hauler for a good deal

We've gone from Joe Haulers to Ho Haulers...:coolio:

4 hours ago, 350thumper said:

mine has a zero wobble bolt on it.

zero wobble bolt.jpg

These kind cost a lot more than $150...believe me, I've used these kinda a few times back in the day.

Ok here are some under Truck shoots from the home made front receiver. The rear bar were added later when i decide to carry the bike in the front to Bonneville.No welding on the frame, all bolted on and remouveble and use existing holes. 

Front Receiver with two fixtures for turnbuckles to hold the hauler.

20161217_122144.jpg

Right side trailer hinge stock from IMS.

20161217_122203.jpg

The bracket also works as Light holder.

20161217_122221.jpg

Left side, you can see the bolt to remove the insert.

20161217_122234.jpg

Front cross bar, here you can see where I extended this for the Bike carrier rear support.

20161217_122246.jpg

Rear support is only there to keep the receiver from up and down swing.

20161217_122255.jpg

center section for the Rear support.

20161217_122303.jpg

Bolted onto the bumper attachments.

20161217_122322.jpg

20161217_122325.jpg

20161217_122257.jpg

On 12/14/2016 at 3:03 PM, Mr.JAJA said:

Like this? I have a trailer hinge on the front and 2 additional attachment out of the bumper where I tie the hauler up with 2 turnbuckles.

P1030941.JPG

P1040084.JPG

Nicely done! Have you ever been hassled by the popo about it? Years ago my FIL got a ticket for blocking the headlights with a similar setup.  Maybe just a cop having a bad day. 

This is a rack I built for the motorhome. I have two receivers mounted at the frame rails. I also have receivers mounted on my Xterra so I can transfer the rack to it as well. 2x2 tube stringers. The bike tray bolts to them. Solid as a rock. The center tube is a hitch extension so I can tow the Xterra behind.The whole thing bolts together so the heaviest single piece is maybe 15 - 20#. Takes about 5 minutes to put it on.

IMG_2608.JPGIMG_2609.JPGIMG_2615.JPGIMG_2617.JPG

4 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Nicely done! Have you ever been hassled by the popo about it? Years ago my FIL got a ticket for blocking the headlights with a similar setup.  Maybe just a cop having a bad day. 

Not yet. But the lights are going thru the wheels and I have additional lights under the Hauler installed.

OverHaased is a private fab guy in the Bay Area.  He stopped producing the haulers but they are some of the best I've ever seen.

P1140639.JPG

He recommends VeraHaul to his customers now

Single-Motorcycle-Carrier-08.jpg

I run a old style Joe Hauler and my individual one is quite heavy.  That, with a DRZ absolutely Killed my Tacoma's rear suspension - even with the addition of heavy duty shocks and newer leaf springs.  I eventually had to get airbags installed. 

On a 3/4 ton I don't even notice the bike there.

I've yet to try a Hauler on a 1/2 ton

Oh, and I personally had a very bad experience with a double wide hauler (the only time I've ever used one).. ymmv

This topic is a couple months old, but I notice Joe Hauler makes a regular version ($400 without the ramp) and an economy model ($350 with ramp).  Even the econo model is rated for 350 pounds.  Anybody have experience or thoughts on the econo version?  I'm hauling an XT250 which is only 300 pounds.

14 minutes ago, skincer said:

This topic is a couple months old, but I notice Joe Hauler makes a regular version ($400 without the ramp) and an economy model ($350 with ramp).  Even the econo model is rated for 350 pounds.  Anybody have experience or thoughts on the econo version?  I'm hauling an XT250 which is only 300 pounds.

Im sure economy one will be fine. But maybe call them and ask very good customer service