gibby

This Forum Looks RAD

Howdy everybody, thanks for approving my membership.

I have been riding bikes since Top Gun came out, I was sure I was Tom Cruise back then- turns out I was just a squid. LOL

Since then I have spent the majority of my time on Sportbikes, maybe 100k on the street but my passion for the last 5-6 years has been trackdays, done maybe 30-40 did a racing school to get my license (I am still awful, got lapped in my first race..lol) I am not talented enough or $$ enough to even do local stuff though.  I volunteer for a trackday provider and do anything related to running a trackday, ride for free 1/2 day also.  yatta yatta

My buddy got me into dirtbikes a couple years ago, I rode a little when I was like 12 but basically started from scratch, got a trust 1996 Honda XR250L dual sport and I am firmly addicted to dirt riding, Vet MX tracks, single track, Ocotillo Wells, I just love dirt riding.  more yatta yatta

I am 46 years old and I have wanted to ride cross country for over 20 years, well I will never have the time or money to do it SO I AM DOING IT ANYWAY! LOL.  My dad passed away 2 years ago and he always talked about his trip cross country on an Indian after WWII, I figured I had better quit making excuses and instead make a plan, get edumucated and do it while I am still young (go ahead laugh).

So I have been reading on ADVRIDER and found this local site hoping I can pick all y'alls brains about my trip.  The goal is a 45 day trip, maybe 10,000 mile go at the US in a round-about kinda way.  As much dirt/trails as possible so I am thinking KLR650

Anyhow, look forward to reading and learnin'

thanks folks,

gibby

Welcome to the forum gibby, sounds like a great plan for a trip. Just shut up and ride!

If you don't mind the weight of the KLR it would be a good choice. 

Welcome aboard!  Plenty of knowledge here including a good bit on the KLR.

I'm a DR650 rider so am able to help if it ever leans that way. I had a trip in my head as well which fell apart 2 years ago.

It's back on, though......

cross counry on an Indian.. your Dad must of had some great stories.

welcome.

Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of information here.