Greenhorn

Ocotillo Wells and Back 12/3/2016

I’m still new at this, riding a new KLR. I was ready for a fresh ride having ridden around Laguna, Cuyamaca, Julian and Campo a few times. It’s been mostly road with a little dirt here and there.

I should have listened to myself and stopped at Wal-Mart on the way out from something to keep my neck warm, hadn’t considered hands at that point.  I had layered pants and shirts, liner was in the jacket, nothing for the neck and mesh gloves.

67 to old highway 80 at Lake Jennings to Viejas Grade to 79 pretty much same, same.

It was about 8am when I got to Lake Cuyamaca and my neck and hands, especially hands are really cold. It was dang cold in the shady stretches.  Stopped in at the Lake Cuyamaca restaurant someone mentioned it was 42 degrees. And it was a little windy too. Up to Julian and I thought about getting some kind of neck covering but nothing was open yet, I decided things would warm up on the other side of the hill.

The ride down banner grade was great. Nice road and scenery, I only saw one other car, it was sunny and warming up. It was great. Plan was to go Borrego Springs (for no particular reason) but I saw the Ocotillo Wells 34 miles and decided to go there.

Scissors Crossing to Ocotillo Wells was a good ride too, wind at this point wasn’t too bad. At Ocotillo I Rode around, things have changed since the last time I had been out 10 years ago or so. I rode out to Wolfe Well rd where we (my daughter, nephew and I) used to camp.

The first couple miles of the ride out were not so fun, too windy.  This is the second time in wind, bah. Headed to Borrego Springs but couldn’t find it proper, got that sorted out and stopped for gas. I left via Borrego Springs via Montezuma Valley road.  On Montezuma Valley I saw an interesting looking road on the opposing mountain, figured it might be something I’ve read about here. Later I saw a turn for Grape Vine Canyon rd. so I think it must have been that. 

I had planned to take Yaqui Pass rd then back to Banner, Julian, Cuyamaca and all. Instead I ended up on S2 so took 79 to San Isabel, San Isabel to Ramona, 67 and then home. S2 was nice. After a day of pretty much having the roads to myself 79 and 67 felt busy. I didn’t care for riding 67 much. Got back into Lakeside at about 1:00 pm.

Did a little dirt at Ocotillo Wells and saw a few dirt roads that looked like options , but I was  just getting a feel for the out there and back ride and the off roading would probably best with a partner.  

It was a pretty good ride, really enjoyed it. Nice relaxed pace, right at 200 miles.

Sounds like a nice loop. I got a neck gator for the cool times. It helps a lot and stores easily.

Shoot me a PM (I may have missed a ride post) if ya want a wanderer on a DR650 along.