That's not the first time either.  They had one lose a blade before and another one caught fire last year.  They were probably put together on a Friday before a long holiday weekend.

I rode by them today...none of them were turning even though it was windy...guess they were"turned off" ?

6 hours ago, KTMrad said:

I rode by them today...none of them were turning even though it was windy...guess they were"turned off" ?

As contradicting as it seems, they do actually turn them off if it gets too windy to avoid damage like pictured above. Just another reason they are not the answer.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, Oracle said:

As contradicting as it seems, they do actually turn them off if it gets too windy to avoid damage like pictured above. Just another reason they are not the answer.

The current design threshold does not withstand the extreme conditions, doesn't mean that they can be designed such there is enough margin for extreme conditions, just whether or not the purchasing entity desires the elevated costs associated with a robust enough design to withstand the cyclic loading.

The real question is...when a wind turban falls in the desert and nobody’s there, does it make a noise?

Wish I was there to HEAR it, that would be a sight!