Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Champ

Goldentyres

I just hope these will be 2 ply construction version not be like the GT Desertone 4 ply type (DST). For trail/enduro use the softer/flexy 2 ply belt carcass is better for me. for the price maybe they are 1 ply!!!

Robert, Jeff slavens says he likes them BECAUSE  they have a good stiff sidewall.  He likes to run lower pressures.  I just picked one up and am going tubliss. $54 at rockymtn. It's a 4 ply 

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

that's what happens you source manufacturing to China..........simple clone, no scruples, probably molded in the same facility!!

I am in for a try at that price, I owe no allegiance to GT for 100 bucks a pop I'll for sure jump onto the shitco bandwagon for @80 bucks delivered ......

I have one on order 90/100-21 fatty MX216 Shitco

Proceed with caution

I too am interested in them at that price point. However, I tried running bargain brand tires during a reduced disposable income cycle and couldn't get the beads to seat with the mousses. Since running mousse is more important to me I'm sticking with lower cost Euro brand tires. Bridgestone (Japanese) makes a few 90/100 for $60-70. I have an old 203 that was a ktm takeoff that I'll try before buying anything. Please update when you get it fitted.

1 hour ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Robert, Jeff slavens says he likes them BECAUSE  they have a good stiff sidewall.  He likes to run lower pressures.  I just picked one up and am going tubliss. $54 at rockymtn. It's a 4 ply 

Think your talking about different tire, the f546

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/56030/Shinko-F546-Soft-Intermediate-Tire

I couldn't find the 216mx on rocky mountain and dont think slavens has reviewed it yet either, he has reviewed the 546 though 

Oh My, Every Man for himself. Does this come from distrust of  capitalism America style?  Invent a better product, make you reward in one year because here comes China.  

Is anyone building a China Lexus? Sign me up.

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Think your talking about different tire, the f546

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/56030/Shinko-F546-Soft-Intermediate-Tire

I couldn't find the 216mx on rocky mountain and dont think slavens has reviewed it yet either, he has reviewed the 546 though 

Hmmmm, your link was to the 546. That one does sound like a pretty good tire.

Clarify we are talking about the MX216 Shinko, it's the GT216AA clone (which truthfully is simply an FIM spec pattern clone in fatty size). 

The Shinko MX216 90/100-21 fatty is the one I ordered from Slavens Racing, looking at the photos on Jeff's site its a GT216AA clone. I just don't know if its a 4 ply or 2 ply tire, from the price I'm assuming its a 2 ply which is what I want. I could have called Jeff and asked but I just ordered it immediately , no worries if its stiff I will stuff old beat down mousses into it.

These have the FIM "standard" enduro pattern which for the most part is the same pattern within the FIM spec as all the major brands Pirelli/Michelin/Metzeler use,  if the tire is really FIM approved for enduro comp the knob height and pattern is the homologated design. There is even a design code for it which I cant recall at this moment its in the FIM rulebook. BTW top tier manufacturer Michelin also makes an Enduro comp 4, 90/100-21 Fatty they just don't import it here in US, not enough demand for enduro comp tires.

US riders hate E tires........I'm the exception to that rule. I will even have the Michelin E comp 4 front on my YZ125 for the next tire.

my shinko is on the shelf to be installed prior to the tecate enduro with a stuffed M16 mousse

56 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

my shinko is on the shelf to be installed prior to the tecate enduro with a stuffed M16 mousse

Nice i have 2 fatty dst versions ready will freshen up for tecate enduro also gonna do it this year. Really digging the nitro moose 35hrs on it no problemos so far

good news on the nitro mousse.

I am interested now in the Gibson Tire Tech Mousse, they have kept it semi hollow instead of the solid close cell foam of all the others.

Note watch your hours 35 is a lot without remounting, if you want to keep it alive pull it lube it and remount it, and once you get a used stock of mousses you can cut and stuff them to extend the life as well

8 hours ago, robertaccio said:

good news on the nitro mousse.

I am interested now in the Gibson Tire Tech Mousse, they have kept it semi hollow instead of the solid close cell foam of all the others.

Note watch your hours 35 is a lot without remounting, if you want to keep it alive pull it lube it and remount it, and once you get a used stock of mousses you can cut and stuff them to extend the life as well

Yup going to dismount this week, just hit 40hrs total so full go threw and regrease on bike. 

Im also due to pull and redo front and rear, mine each have stock m14 and m16 mousses, both need to be cut and stuffed. with these fatty fronts I usually run the M16 mousse for month or so 4-5 rides then pull and stuff as it breaks in/down. I like these fattys to be on stiff side or they roll too much for my taste, they are so tall. So I like them to feel like at least a solid 13-15 psi feel. for the rear no worries I like my fim tires to feel more like 10-12 with more in the 10psi feel.

Shinko 216mx ( golden fatty clone) on right and shinko 110/100-18 Cheater 505 on left ready to be mounted on my new to me 200xcw, this 216mx is exact clone feel and size to golden , maxxis uhd tube front at 14psi and tubliss rear at 5psi

20180124_201616.thumb.jpg.d66dd7bfa8b0f0ada6eb4dd93795e0da.jpg

Yep. Answered my own question. Guess I shoulda looked first.

yes quite abit cheaper and for sure its a clone even in compound durometer (90/100-21 fatty). Ive got the Shinko 216 on front of my machine and actually looks like a higher quality mold than the GT216AA. Mine's got a matched to size Nitro Mousse in it with silicone lube (Michelin/Kreft mix).

Btw. Been riding the Golden Tyree 333 rear.  

Not cheap $110 at C&D. Doesn’t last like the Maxxis but good life and best traction I’ve found. 

I mostly desert ride and race. 

A YouTube show I enjoy is Races to Places, the host is riding around the world and using Goldens. Here are some of his thoughts. By the way he just took 2nd place in Dakar, Malle Moto division. 

Enjoy, 

Mark

Goldentyre Review