Bagstr

Mountain Party - Bullhead 2016

i-KCvSVQw-L.jpg

At the End of the Day,,,  A Mountain Top Party

After long a tough day which many did not complete.  You pull up to a side by side with a cooler full of beer!  Thanks Crawdaddy, you made the last 25 miles down the mountain much more relaxed.   Thanks Crawdaddy for all your efforts. 

14 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Thanks Crawdaddy, you made the last 25 miles down the mountain much more relaxed.  

That was the goal.   ;)

It was a fun weekend with friends from SDAR/Dualies/BBTR.  I'm glad you, Jim and Vaudois were there to represent SDAR.  Once again the Invitational was dominated by BBTR though we had more Dualies show up this year than last year.......I'm guessing maybe ~25-30 riders total?

Lisa and I arrived Wednesday night and took care of some chores on Thursday........then we settled in by the river on Thursday evening for a cold brew/sunset:

B5417544-BC31-4A44-9412-229E3A6A25E0_zps

B676F098-2C0B-4FA4-8FA7-ACCC06082B47_zps

I rode with Bagstr and Amgens on Friday.......not many pictures but lot's of fun.......

We cruised north along the Colorado River/Lake Mohave to open the day and then stopped off at Cottonwood Cove for breakfast:

26E182FC-1D39-4885-859F-1668C1FAC0D3_zps

After breakfast it was up to Searchlight for gas.  We met up with Lendon (Seat Concepts) and his bother in law, Tony, at the gas station.  Their one and only GPS had broken so they tagged along with us on the way back to Laughlin/AVI.   Those two are pretty fast riders so once we arrived at the first single track we pushed them out front with directions to "follow the single track and stop at major intersections"........this plan worked out well........no need to be a slave to the GPS tracks........just head south and have fun/explore........they free lanced and we followed........now I have a few new wrinkles for next year........

We opted to drop down to the river's edge with a cold brew after miles and miles of single track smiles:

C55D63D9-3363-40AB-9D4C-527FD2911D3A_zps

On Saturday I launched the crew towards Oatman for breakfast then Golden Valley (gas) and eventually the ridgeline high above Lake Mohave.  A really beautiful stretch of a couple of miles.  I parked my truck by Princess Cove and drove up there in the RZR with Lisa (~25 miles).  The crew had big smiles when they rolled up to a cold water/soda/beer stop out in BFE.  Good place to take a break at ~4K' with stunning views of the lake down below:

18E9835F-8CF2-4D8C-858B-C87D6B4B6908_zps

BAAB0CB0-D555-4FE5-BF81-09BE8FE9479B_zps

We had a nice/group dinner on Saturday night and then everyone headed home yesterday........though I think a few may have stayed to squeeze out one more day of riding........most should've looked down to see ~250 miles on their odometers after two days of riding........big smiles/fun.......thanks again for coming out to my backyard playground.......see ya again next year......

Great weekend !!! I had so much fun !!  That is some great riding out there. Cool new single track on Friday ! Thanks for putting it together Crawdaddy, and thanks for being a great ride partner Bagstr. I especially appreciate your help lifting my bike after my butt landed on that pointed rock. I have a beautiful Technicolor mark in an area that not many people get to, or want to, see.

Hey Bags, post up the pics of "Ram".

The wind was a bit gusty at times up on the ridge........the shade umbrella took on a few "custom" shapes::D:lol:

7E334E47-8656-4E2B-9CD1-96805CFB5D30_zps

i-Qx8jWVL-L.jpg

Big Horn Sheep keeping a close eye on us down at the Absent Bronco site

i-xjRGMKW-L.jpg

i-2H2D6p8-L.jpg

i-Xb84XHN-L.jpg

i-LJjWdZQ-L.jpg

Where is the Bronco??   Amgems and I made the Side Trip to the Flood Damaged Bronco.  Trouble is,,,What happened to the Bronco?

We had a bit of work dealing with the Up and Around and Down bypass at a rock-fall.  Don't let your bike slip into the mine shaft.

i-sfTcVWZ-L.jpg

Bench Riding @ 4,000ft

i-DCZKGrG-L.jpg

Don't let the Crawdaddy kid you;  These loops are some tough work punctuated with more than a few

" Gut Check situations. "

Friday as CD said, started on track but evolved into following Lendon and Tony through 20 plus miles of Remote single track not shown on any map or track for the good reason that it was barely a single track! Following Lendon ( while you could keep him in sight ) was a real lesson in skill development.  Had to monitor your stamina and stop / hydrate periodically. We had no idea how long this was going last.  Ridges, canyons, narrow tracks with pointed plants on your elbow.  Man, That Modelo tasted swell down on the River.

Saturday would be a different kettle of shrimp.  The Amgems and I opted for a little strategy out to the ghost town of Oatman. Taking the Easy / Less Hardway had us the first two to order breakfast and head north.  Let the gravel washes begin, up to the ridges, down to the gravel, repeat.  Rising out of the gravel washes toward the pass and Woody's Plaque the rocks started to dominate. The afore mentioned gut check hear and there. Face it up and ride dude!  More than a little relief atop the final pass looking down at Golden Valley. Personally don't know but guessing this Route out from Oatman may have taken a few prisoners. :o

We took a 30 minute break down at the Maverick shaded table, taking on fluids and sustenance.  Making the turn north off the highway we saw the first riders going for gas.  Off to the Ridge!  Halfway across Golden Valley,,,Here comes Lendon!!  His dust did not last long and he was GONE followed closely by Tony. Fun to watch the next level ( or two ) .  We had a good discussion about " momentum ", meaning carry more speed and you actually have less resistance from the rocks / terrain. Mmm,,. At first I though Lendon was pulling one gear higher, but then I started carrying another gear and realized he may well be carrying two gears above my pace.  Front row seat to real skill. We didn't see anyone else until we arrived at the Lake Mojavi Overlook.

Pretty much the Highlight, standing up on the ridge with that small crew and 125 miles of " Dualsport " behind.  What a treat.  Amgems was a great partner to spend the two days with. A skilled reliable rider, the kind you know you can rely on in the outback.

Bags

That was so cool seeing those guys out there in the middle of nowhere. The guys with the horns and the guys with the beer.

Sounds like another successful Bullhead trip!!

Are there any more stories from the Maverick's?  That place was like a Jerry Springer waiting room when I went last time.

There are so many options to ride out there.

Sorry to see the Bronco has finally succumbed to the desert...