isde97

D36 Steam Donkey Enduro 13 November

This is the new name for the enduro I used to organize, and I am planning on going up, leaving Friday, returning Monday.  I have room in the trailer and the motorhome.  It would sure be nice if there was more rain in the forecast between now and then.

http://teamflyingw.com/=W=/D36/2016/Enduro/events/11%2013%20Rnd-6%20%20Steam%20Donkey%20Enduro/flyer.pdf

what a name!! Steam Donkey.    Matt sounds like a  classic tough D36 race.

Im looking at schedule and actually considering this.

Used to be called the WFO Enduro, a FS employee decided that was no longer acceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_donkey

There is a steam donkey carcass adjacent to one of the trails, although you have to know where to look for it.

Stonyford really needs rain prior to the event, it dries out really quickly.  Right now, the only rain in the forecast is like 50% the day before, which would be epic.  It can get rained out, but it takes a lot.

I love the internet......I really was thinking hard about WTF the  Steam Donkey name comes from.......Google to the rescue

I may need one to pull me up some of the hills.

SteamDonkey.jpg

Matt, posted on Café Husky by a local D36 guy

Loved racing the Steam Donkey(WFO). That's my back yard. It will be good this year as I was just riding there last Saturday, ton of rain dumped on the place.

Not going to make this trip. I haven't been home in a week and won't be home until Wednesday night. After the last ride. my bike needs too much work to be ready in time. Good luck Matt and Rob, if you go.

just dreaming again.....raced last weekend, prepping for tecate enduro just way too many adventures on the plate. to drive for 20 hours at this time.

If the 50% chance of rain shows up Saturday am, it will be good.  Otherwise, it is going to be really dusty, and dust in the trees takes away a lot of fun.  Keep this spot open next year.

Some rain showed up, so conditions were about as good as you could reasonably expect.

I only crashed once (in a test), and finished and drove myself home.  Considering how out of it I am right now, I am pleased.

The ranger we (they, I, whatever is appropriate) used to work with has retired, and the new regime isn't as interested in promoting the use of the forest for events like this.  The club is getting kind of worn down by the bureaucracy.  Ridership was decent, hopefully there is an event next year.

Cool...the course looked to be in great shape and fast...thanks for sharing the viddy! :thumbsup_anim:

Not me riding, but you get the idea.  Here is a vid of the first test I found

Looks a lot like the Idaho trails I ride.  Love it !

Matt Glad you made it up!! I know I bailed with just too many irons in the fire. anyway its good I didnt commit I was laid up since last wednesday with a brutal sinus, throat, ear goopy thing...still have no voice

Now I will watch the tests!! Knowing you I will enjoy the show!! no way, that bike is hairball hair trigger.I recognize Ryan Boardman his name..(needs some enduro tuning on that Kato man that thing ramps up fast onto the pipe.. you still on 4 stroke no?

Results

http://ama-d36.org/=W=/D36/2016/Enduro/events/11%2013%20Rnd-6%20%20Steam%20Donkey%20Enduro/results.pdf

Matt,  5th SSEN 50+A from 11 in class, 32nd OA, off of the sofa and right back in the mix , nice ride Matt.  Let's get some local seat time man!!! 

Awesome viddy...that poor helmet cam sure took a lickin' but, kept on tickin'!

Wow looks like fun Reminds me a lot like Shasta Dam area.

I have rode a few enduros and they can be a blast

Still on a 250 4T.  I am really not sharp right now, I am still sore today.  My bike needs some setup work, but I need to ride more to make that happen.

I am going to be up in the Gorman area next week for thanksgiving.  We are going to be hitting Gorman and/or Ballinger Canyon, if anyone wants to come up for a bit.