Goofy Footer

Rally

Out of curiosity, who here is interested in Rally?

Not, not the street ride to Starbark coffee "rally", not the show up/camp/drink & don't ride "rally", but actual Rally - a la Dakar style Navigation Rally with a Roadbook

100% interested.  Love following Dakar and just getting into the Baja rally.  Don't have the fairing or comms equip they use, but I've always thought the race formats were awesome.  Would love to learn more.

Rally is cool stuff and the future of Baja racing on a motorcycle. The landowners down there are more agreeable to they're gates being left open for less then a day compared to Score where they are open for a couple months. It's also much less abusive to the dirt roads however probably less money being spent in Baja compared to Score.

Todd and I just spent 3 days riding in Death Valley with Rally competitor Dan Bartolucci who had some great stories about last year where he finished an impressive 4th in Rally 1 and 9th overall and is is preparing for the Sonora Rally in March.

I'm looking forward to growth in this sport, this year it seems there was an increase in entries from abroad. And it was cool to see Lawrence Hacking competing and winning in the adv class on a basically stock Africa Twin. He finished 35th out of 60 riders in the overall.

I would love to see a rally where average joes like me could compete in a lower cost one or two day event. Something without the huge amount of support needed by the bigger rally's. Maybe an open class and an adv class for bigger bikes, both in expert and amateur classes.

MMmm,,,  Is or Will Rally follow the model of Larger Budget equals larger success?    Would I need a helicopter to be competitive?

I like the idea of Hacking showing up to compete with the big hardware.  That is a story worth hearing.    Could be I am past my prime racing opportunity.  That Starbucks Challenge may be my best opportunity to Rally into the back country.

But seriously, the Rally Events have a scenic beauty other forms of " racing " do not exhibit.  Here is an idea;  Reality Rally.  Ten Riders, self supported, 3 days. Just gas and water rations. Film crews following in helos, dropping in at breakdowns or night camps.  I would watch that.

Bags

It would seem like an opportunity for a small time promoter to run "blue collar" rallys with classes based on age and ability. Heck just finishing an event after navigating by roadbook would be rewarding.

Looks like a decent roadbook setup costs between $800-1000.

http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/collections/rally-navigator-store/products/universal-rally-navigation-kit

Cool info

https://www.rallynavigator.com/

32 minutes ago, Afry said:

It would seem like an opportunity for a small time promoter to run "blue collar" rallys with classes based on age and ability. Heck just finishing an event after navigating by roadbook would be rewarding.

Looks like a decent roadbook setup costs between $800-1000.

http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/collections/rally-navigator-store/products/universal-rally-navigation-kit

Wow.  That is spendy for sure.

Any reason we couldn't ditch the spendy and confusing roadbook option and go with a simple GPS track provided by Race Control?  There are tons of inexpensive and effective GPS options for riders ... and most riders already have a GPS solution.

these look like a great way to get a feel for rallying, without the huge outlay of $$$...

an ico app, to run on a smartphone: 

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rallyblitz-rally-iphone-app.936183/

and by the same guy, a roadbook app to run on a small tablet:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rallyblitz-rally-iphone-app.936183/page-11

and this guy is putting on a rally for folks looking to get into the sport:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-socal-roadbook-rally.1140589/

Thanks for link Johnny that socal rally looks awesome I did a big loop out of barstow earlier this year and was trails everywhere definitely need to get back up there

Maybe our club here on this forum should put together a 2-3 day So Cal Desert Rally and cloverleaf out of ABDSP.  Having facilities/food/gas in Borrego would be kind of nice.  There's got to be at least 150 miles per day of riding in a NESW direction right?  I'd definitely pay a nominal entry fee for something like this.  

I totally agree would be awesome maybe desert dash revamp 

I like the idea of no gps - that's the whole idea, anyone can follow tracks.

If you think that's spendy then don't go racing :)

59 minutes ago, Afry said:

I like the idea of no gps - that's the whole idea, anyone can follow tracks.

If you think that's spendy then don't go racing :)

It is spendy.  Why not do both?  If this is really just a 'user-friendly, unofficial, get together and have fun" kinda thing, then why not have both options?  Have a fancy expensive race-book option for the people who want that experience, and a simple GPS track for the cheap guys like me.  We can always give the race-book weiners a bigger trophy.  :dance2:

For a club event sure use gps, no different then the Desert Dash or any other local ride we do.

If we or anyone else wants to put on a Rally event it should not include gps. If you try and combine the two it will be easy for the road book equipped riders to follow the riders or tracks of those navigating with gps. 

On 11/2/2016 at 0:00 PM, EddieEarl said:

It is spendy.  Why not do both?  If this is really just a 'user-friendly, unofficial, get together and have fun" kinda thing, then why not have both options?  Have a fancy expensive race-book option for the people who want that experience, and a simple GPS track for the cheap guys like me.  We can always give the race-book weiners a bigger trophy.  :dance2:

having a gps always sounds nicer. trying to figure out a race book sounds like a PITA as i have never seen one in person lol. However i do love watching Dakar. 

I'm brining this back up because I am very interested in navigation rally, even more so if it's a budget rally, and especially so if it's self supported "blue collar" rally.