Mikey777

'13 KTM EXC 350-f starter issue

Was supposed to be riding with LB this morning on the small bike.  

Last night I pulled the bike off the trickle charger, turned on the ignition and hit the electronic start and got a "thunk".  No cranking whatsoever.  A few more times and nothing but a "thunk".  Plenty of battery.  So I went to try the kick starter and it will not budge back and down at all.  Stuck.  Tried rocking the bike back and forth with the clutch in and out to try to free up whatever is stuck.   I eventually got it to where I would get a second of crank and then "thunk". Locked up again.

Last time I rode it everything was fine, no issues.  I even started it up a couple weeks ago just to run it for a couple minutes to keep the juices flowing.

She's going into the shop, but any ideas?

I wouldn't be surprised if it IS the battery.......trickle charger may show green but battery may not have enough juice to turn it.  Might be worth a $40 gamble on a ~4yr old battery......

Battery is less than 6 months old.  I put my little jump starter thing on it just in case.  Made no difference.  Even in low battery situations before, I have always been able to move the kickstarter.

Weird nothing moved doesnt sound good but hopefully its just something easy

I guess it wouldn't be a good time to mention how epic Lark was today. We broke fresh tracks for 3 hours. Cool temps. Cloudy. And just enough moisture in the dirt to get uber traction....

32 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I guess it wouldn't be a good time to mention how epic Lark was today. We broke fresh tracks for 3 hours. Cool temps. Cloudy. And just enough moisture in the dirt to get uber traction....

Mikey i can attest to this statement, i followed his fresh tracks for a mile or 2 and he was definitely getting awesome traction around every corner 

Pull the plug to see if Hydro Locked. Be carefull with sparks !!!

the piston skirt might have broke off causing a lock up under the piston. Cheap fix new piston when it happened to me

Sounds like KUG is the winner...

RJ at All American thinks my pressure regulator likely failed and filled the cylinder up with gas...considering everything was running normal.  Could be a fairly simple fix assuming I didn't fubar things up by trying to unstick something that couldn't be unstuck.

Will have a definitive answer after he gets into it.

Ahh...I see what you were saying UC...it would appear the gas was on...and on, and on.

Let me know when you are picking up your bike and we'll meet up.

Mmm don,t understand the pressure regulater alowing the cylinder to fill with gas. ????

make sure you change the oil when that happens. gas gets in the oil then motor goes by by

Per RJ, he said if the pressure regulator has a fault it might start the fuel pump cycling because it thinks the engine needs gas. (Or something similar to that...I was just relieved it probably isn't anything major.) I had just changed my stock tank to a bigger tank and might have damaged the fuel pump unit in the process.  

I am hoping I can get by with just dumping out all the gas and oil, new filters, and probably a new fuel pump unit and then am good to go. I will post up once I get the actual diagnosis.

Interesting theory.

But how would the fuel get into the cylinder without actuating the injector?

Yeah i dont really get it either had this happen on old drz when float stuck on carb but dont get how if bike was off no pump on the regulator would stick and get past injector. 

Sounds to me like you have an electrical fault in the system somewhere keeping the fuel circuit active/ pressurized.  Bent pins shorting on fuel pump connection ??.  

This would normally run the battery down and not be noticed but since you had it on trickle charge it just pumped fuel like it's supposed to.  A running fuel pump will easily push the fuel past the injector at pressure.  

Ignition switch fault possibly ?  Just throwing ideas out there from what I ve picked up tinkering on the pumpkins at Ktm.

Soooo...after some more diagnosis, it seems the cam slipped 14 degrees (unknown cause at this point) and one of the valves was hitting the top of the piston.  They got the motor to turn over, which is a big relief.  So hopefully just some head/valve work and I should be good to go.  Could be worse if they get further in and the piston is damaged, but probably unlikely per RJ.

Since I have owned the bike, I have had intermittent poor running condition/hard time getting it to start. They are going to yank the JD Tuner and put the correct tune into the computer.  I have been fighting that issue for a long time and have had two people look at this issue.  That problem should finally be solved.

RJ also asked if the bike has been down in Baja, because it looks like Mexican gas has been run through it quite a bit.  GUILTY.  So they are going to clean up the fuel system.

I should have taken the bike there in the first place.

Glad to hear the issue is at least diagnosed. Hope they fix you up.

Are you running the KTM factory stock cam chain tensioner?

I believe it is likely stock. I am the second owner and the p.o. did a bunch of mods, some of which were hack jobs.