Any recommendation for schools or events to get brushed up on riding trails? I know how to ride street but want some help on getting good habits for dirt. I live in San Diego and want something close.  Thanks!

In the Anza area,  I want to take a class up there. I know at least a couple of members have used them, they advertise on CL sometimes for trials also.

‭+1 (951) 767-0991‬

Moto Ventures / Dirt First

40471 Reed Valley Rd
Hemet, CA  92536
United States 

Jim, you're pretty fast outta the holster.  I was going to mention that place also...heard real  good things about them.  Hoping to take my kid up there real soon.

Motoventures is good but i will say this about them if you get his son or another instructor you are in luck if you go in a day when gary is teaching you just wasted alot of money and time and should just watch youtube.  i did his class about 5 years ago and just recently did it again a month ago for a two day class, day 1 was his son and very involved and watches you and corrects bad technique well. gary kinda leaves you on your own and just has you do drills over and over while hes off with other riders or back at basecamp. so moral is if you go there i would ask when signing up whos teaching.

Motoventures for me was one on one with Gary la Plante for a couple hours, then it was ride my arse off using what we went over. That piece of land is great for ripping around single track.

Then intermittent review,  meetings and testing through out the day. This was in concurrence with what we discussed before my "class" this was a tweaking the position/ergos exercise. Goals were to add more Trials technique into my enduro bag of tricks and to adjust my ride position as well as my bike set up for more safe speed control. Mine was advanced class coaching and adjusting. It was 4.5 star treatment. He liked my bike set up with one exception and we adjusted that- rolled my already rolled handlebars even more forward. He as a former OEM factory test rider for both offroad and road bikes has a lot of OEM data tucked away in his memory for these set up tips.

As for his instructors I know Rob from there and know he is a top tier expert MX guy from other contacts in the moto industry , and I know Brandon from various private event hardcore trail rides south of the border, Brandon is for sure a solid A level off roader and could probably have competed as National AA enduro rider. Commenting on instruction I can only comment on Gary who was top notch in my opinion.

I say ask set up a class and clarify what you want and what you need, clarification is always paramount. Gary has also supported SDAR by attending meeting and discussing his school, also even having a good school as close as Motoventures is exploitable resource for all of us to utilize.

other Schools I have done were Marty Smith MX clinic that too was pretty much 1 on 1 and really good

also, the other , Graham Jarvis taught was more show and tell and explain how to, then let us practice with the exercises Graham showed us, Graham is a brilliant guy but a quiet bloke--the nickname silent assassin fit really well.

me and my lady took this class:

http://www.coach2ride.com/

prices were reasonable and improved our skills tremendously (but I suck at riding dirt, so thats not saying much, I suck a lot less now that I took the class though!) the buisiness is owned by two women, both of whom were pro racers, IIRC

good one sounds very respectable and high quality. definitely worth a go.