arjayes

need Elka shock serviced

I bought an Elka shock for my Super Tenere a couple of years ago (group buy on Super Tenere forum) and was never able to even come close to getting the sag set correctly. I went back and forth with them about it for a while back then. They were willing to swap in a stiffer spring, but I didn't want to pull the shock and ship it back to them in Montreal and have the bike out of commission for several weeks. So I've been living with it. The ride is not awful but the bike sits low and I scrape metal way too easily on Highland Valley Road!

It's time to finally get this taken care of. I took a bunch of measurements over the weekend and I'm not even sure that I need a stiffer spring. I think the main problem is not enough preload. The factory preload on the spring (with preload adjuster completely backed off) is only 1/8" (3.2mm). And my total preload adjustment range is only 1/4" (6.4mm) from there with the hydraulic preload adjuster. This is on an 8" spring. With the preload adjuster maxed out my rider sag is 70mm when it should be around 55mm. The static sag (bike only) is 37mm and should be about 20mm. The fact that both sags are ~15mm high tells me that the sping rate is pretty close, at least for me with no gear and with no luggage on the bike.

I emailed my measurements to Elka and they said the factory preload should be "no more than 5mm", which sounds very low. But then again the Tenere is not a dirt bike. (Total suspension travel is 190mm.) They also said that the preload adjustment range should be 10mm (I'm only getting 6.4mm).

I still don't want to ship the shock back to Montreal. I'd rather find a local shop that can help me figure this out, and can then see the shock on the bike to get it dialed in. I don't have the tools or expertise to do the work myself. The shock is a triple clicker with a hydraulic preload adjuster and remote reservoir. I think the factory preload needs to be increased, combined possibly with a slightly stiffer spring. I'm not sure what (if anything) can be done to increase the preload adjustment range, but I would love that as well if possible.

I ended up posting way more information than I intended to but figured the suspension geeks here would get into the numbers. To the rest of you I apologize for the autobiography on my suspension woes!

So, any shop recommendations? Or any of you tuners (Spaugh, Suspenders) willing to give this a shot?

Thanks,

RJS

its suspension, if the Elka specs are available go to George at S101 and get the thing set up. according to the ranges that Elka presented you.

Suspension 101 in Alpine your hometown advantage go to guy.

I hear you, Robert. I actually swapped emails with George about this back in January but he didn't get back to me and I didn't pursue it. I haven't been riding much so it slipped off my radar again, until now. This time I'm going to get this resolved one way or another!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try calling George this time instead of email.

Bob

I talked to George and he's going to help me out (thanks, George!).

Brad's a good guy, too. He redid the front and rear springs on my 500 EXC a couple of years ago. Definitely an ace with WP suspension. The Super Tenere is a completely different animal. If you see this, Brad, I'm curious. Do you work on big bikes as well?

sounded like you only needed proper set up by the description, not a shock tear down.  sounds like you are the correct path.

Most factory suspension setups are way too soft.

Hope George can help you out.

As I learned from the guys at The Beemer Shop near Santa Cruz, going to a stiffer spring is not always the answer...it must have proper ratings, not limit the stroke of sjock, not cause coil lock, etc.... that takes detailed calculations which many places don't know how to do.