unhuskyman

San Diego Backcountry Dirt Big Bike/Noob Ride - October 29

Going to finally get the 990 out for a much needed ride.

Saturday 10/29/2016 meet at Packard's in Ramona, kick stands up by 9.

Ride will take go from Ramona, Black Canyon Road to Mesa Grande(Smooth Dirt), Mesa Grande to 78(Paved), 78 East to 76 to Ranchita (Paved), Right Turn off Montezuma Grade to Culp, Jasper, and Grapvine (All Dirt) to 78 West, Great Southern Overland Stage Route (All Paved) to Mason Valley TT/ Rodriguez TT (Dirt) to 78 at Banner (Just east of julian). Banner to Ramona (All street).

I remember some sand on parts of Culp and Grapevine, but doable on a big bike with a little confidence. If Culp is really washed out/sandy, may take alternative route. Per previous rider (Thanks Arnie) fuel range of approx 75 miles is fine. No real restaurants so plan to bring snacks for the ride.

Hope to see you out there.

Ian

Sounds like a good route and looks like the weather will be nice. Slight chance I could make this if you're open to a smaller bike on the ride?

PS  You might want to edit the heading of the post to October?

Hey Weirdrider, 

Thanks, that what i get for working 18 hours straight. Anyone is welcome. I think the amount of pavement is doable on anything. What are you riding

Weather looks great! 70s in desert. 

Yes it is plated, did a similar route in reverse. Mason Valley TT has sand at the bottom and quite rocky if you go up through Oriflame. 

Here's a video from a past Desert dash going up Oriflame canyon which is Mason Valley TT, an alternate route at the bottom is Rodriguez canyon.  It is not as Rocky. 

Momentum  is Definitely your friend.  A 500 should be just fine if you keep roliin'. 

Mikey777 and I just did this exact route, just opposite direction, a couple weeks ago on my 950/990's. There is always sand on Grapvine, but it wasn't too bad. Same with the sand on Oriflame. And if you hit Rodriquez from Orliflame, you don't have to worry about the uphill rocky section Jim is referring to. It's a good loop.

I have an unconfirmed work even that day.  If it doesn't happen I will be joining you guys.  This looks AWESOME!

I'm in! 

Riding my F700GS. See you all at Packard's.

Thanks for the video Weirdrider. If had ever purchased a go pro I could have made one very similar- same commentary for sure.

Monte,

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday. Been dying to get out for a ride.

Please remember to bring tools/tubes for your bike should anything rattle apart on these treacherous fire roads....

I got the Ok to go. I'll be on my 02 XR650r plated. Super excited to finally get out. Do you guys need any contact info or just show up? And just to be sure, Packards Coffee Shop, Main Street, Ramona, CA?

By the way welcome to the forum. There's a section for introductions if you so wish. Looks like we're from the same neck of the woods.