Dan Diego

Master Link issues: Screw type vs wire fix

Has anyone used the screw-type master link?

A friend recently lost his master link while riding on the freeway; I empathized as I've left a chain in the middle of I-8 myself. I suggested the old off-road rider trick of wrapping a small piece of wire over the master link. I learned that from a Baja racing guy and it works well.

He ended up using that method, but another rider suggested the screw-type master link, found online from $12-15.  Thoughts?

http://sprocketcenter.com/ek-chain-srx-2-master-link-screw-link-select-pitch-size.html

IMG_9902.JPG

IMG_9904.JPG

IMG_9905.JPG

IMG_9908.JPG

Screws come loose.   It's called safety wire for a reason.   I've always wired mine personally.

Wire looks good dont like the look of the screw ones, i currently just used the high heat silicon on it last pretty good but probably going to switch to the wire method. On my big bike and my 570 for long dual sport only use rivet type and carry spare masterlink in kit incase of a break

use a fresh master assembly and or fresh clip, but best to replace the master link from time to time, they are easily ordered (of course match up your chain to the link). having it fresh the edges are sharp and it locks in well. also make sure the clip is butted together. I have pre squeezed clips to overlap the ends, then released and straightened them to be flat , just so they have heavy tension when clipped in place.

Lately My master clips are  the inside of the chain vice outside and I always put a nice layer of 3 bond 1211 seal on them after cleaning them. fairly extreme riding and have never had one come apart. I love safety wire and may try that set up for added security, But it seems like it would come off from gear gnashing, no?

If you really want bullet proof go with stake on master link pins, but end up with an endless chain that can be a pain to deal with.

Stay with the tried and true conecting links and change once in awhile . The screw type seems shady.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, hobiee said:

Screws come loose.   It's called safety wire for a reason.   I've always wired mine personally.

Not all threaded fasteners come loose, some contain proprietary locking features.

44 minutes ago, rubarb said:

Not all threaded fasteners come loose, some contain proprietary locking features.

Not all threaded fasteners are screws.  

To me it looks like this screw type link ends up the same as a riveted link, it just does it without a rivet chain tool. Good way to go if you don't want to carry a chain tool or use safety wire.

Just replaced the chain on my 2015 500 EXC with a new DID chain.  It only came with a rivet type master link.

Fine with me as I had rivet tools available from my road racing days.

But in the past, with clip type master links, I've used the afore mentioned safety wire backup method.

3 hours ago, hobiee said:

Not all threaded fasteners are screws.  

You are correct. Furthermore, based on the mechanical features noted in the images of the first post of this thread, those are actually bolts ;) 

15 minutes ago, rubarb said:

You are correct. Furthermore, based on the mechanical features noted in the images of the first post of this thread, those are actually bolts ;) 

The screw-type master links are really just rivet-style links for use without special tools (8mm wrench, pliers).  The bolts only cinch down the rivet then pop off leaving a secure, but not removeable, master link.

I'd never seen these master links before.  Guess I'll order a few up and give them a try....not scared!

So....Assuming the circlip escapes and the chain un-winds..How Far have you run? Not. Carrying an extra master,  Off you Go, good as new. 

Not being in a Race, a pleasant distraction. Rather worry about how much air to run in tires. 

B. 

14 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

So....Assuming the circlip escapes and the chain un-winds..How Far have you run? Not. Carrying an extra master,  Off you Go, good as new. 

Not being in a Race, a pleasant distraction. Rather worry about how much air to run in tires. 

B. 

On my old husky 630 chain broke at masterlink unwound and bunched at up clutch slave and put a 2" hole in the engine block. So made it about 10feet before relized i had oil over my pants and no chain to drive power to rear wheel.

And What are you crying about??  Don't you carry Case Repair epoxy??  Not a big deal, low on oil, deal with it. 

:friends:

5 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

And What are you crying about??  Don't you carry Case Repair epoxy??  Not a big deal, low on oil, deal with it. 

:friends:

Best thing that ever happened to me, sold bike and got my 950 super enduro. Jumping for joy