robertaccio

AMA National Hare and Hound 100s MC season final 23OCT2016

AMA National Hare and Hound 100s MC season final 23OCT2016

OK all you brave dez racers, throw your hat/helmet into this ring!! Raise the bar.  Its the traditional 100s MC AMA National Hare and hound season finale

3 different loops of fun... 1 40 mile, 2 40 mile, 3 15 mile (ahhhh). This club is called 100s because their races are @ 100 miles long and very sporty!!

I will not back out of this one, why? because I'm already signed up for it. Front row ticket in the 50A class.

https://www.facebook.com/events/427134764151037/

http://100smc.org/race-information/

http://www.moto-tally.com/NHHA/PreEntry.aspx

PS I finished a "career" best 2nd 50A last year, that was a lot due to the fact the championship was decided and a few of the front runners didn't show for the final, but I will take it !!!

"Hello National Hare and Hound fans. This is Tommy Russell, President of the 100's MC to give you an insight of our race October 23rd in Johnson Valley, California. Back by popular demand is our world famous reverse bomb run. It will be in place so your family and loved ones can observe the hole-shot without leaving the pits. To keep with our 'western' theme this year, loop one has been titled "Pony Express". You'll be dancing within the rocks with open prairies to over take your competition. Loop two, titled "Stampede", is a combination of single track, box canyons and a dash of open prairies. Loop three titled, "Badlands", is 15 miles of single track, double checks followed up with a memorable downhill ride to the finish!"

Was it fun or brutal?

D-38 was brutal to the point of not being fun. 

42 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Was it fun or brutal?

D-38 was brutal to the point of not being fun. 

Ken,  didn't you have fun on that whooped out road!? 

2 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Ken,  didn't you have fun on that whooped out road!? 

Fun for the first couple miles. We didn't ride that road. That road is easy in comparison. 

Where were all the SDAR folks and D37 enthusiasts??? Quinn Cody raced and finished on this.

14572329_1404640232899142_418496407918820690_n.jpg

14717308_1404121499617682_6666784712142349667_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

Where were all the SDAR folks and D37 enthusiasts??? Quinn Cody raced and finished on this.

14572329_1404640232899142_418496407918820690_n.jpg

14717308_1404121499617682_6666784712142349667_n.jpg

Now that is BAD A$$...

I don't like the word brutal I like sporting and sporty better.

I'm sure H cam vids and photos will be coming out soon enough. the "waterfall uphill" was posted by a few guys from last years event, it was harder this year because we came down one wash and went right back up the next.

L1 very dusty unless you are fast enough to be out front. nothing out of an ordinary dez race mostly rolling hills open valleys well ribboned, some loose rocky stuff even some sand dune stuff. easily ridden by Nat C folks and overall a fun 40 miles

L2 everyone spread out so dust was minimal, long hard loose sharp rocky climbs (dust if behind someone) and descents as well as same with hard rocky stuff, mostly dez hill and side hill single track with some 2 track whooped sharp deflection rock stuff (for you D38 guys like north side of superstition stuff). Definitely a solid B loop

My B=bad loop, too many hard terrain 2 track whoops for my taste lost a bunch of OA positions on L2)

L3 started same as L2 but split a mile or 2 in, and opened with a gnarley climb of mixed solid rock vert stair steps with loose rocky stuff, 99% all single track, steep side hill trails low side left and right, very steep full commitment ups and downs, culminating at @ mile 80-85 with a gnarly tight sand/boulder/sharp rock stepped downhill canyon that met with the infamous water canyon which we turned up and went up that Graham Jarvis replica. it ends onto a steep climb out onto single track all rocky with a few more ups and downs steep, then finishes into the loooong steep rocky downhill to complete the leg and shoulder burn. then its a few short miles to the finish. A loop for sure. Gained some OA positions back.

Brutal....hmm maybe, but I still say very sporting and definitely not for pussies.

tough one L3 35-45 mins for top tier guys 1:20 for 7th 50A me   ,

and for you D38 guys local reference familiar names Nate Graham 4th 40A @ 1 hour, 9th Pro Grant Stately @40mins (2x faster than me), 4th Pro Justin Morgan @37 mins

And yes Quinn Cody is .0005% rider ...I really can understand L1 L2,,,, but L3....wow.

D38 Plaster City - 

Dust. 

Whoops. 

Rocks. 

Whoops with rocks. 

Rocks with whoops. 

More dust. 

More whoops with rocks and dust. 

X 4 22 mile laps for those who lasted that long. 

I bowed out after 2 laps after casing it hard (on camera)

Now I'm really pissed I couldn't make to either. Sounds like it was fun. I've really been looking for a challenge. Well that and some sort of redemption considering I've gone over the bars my last 2 races 

You guys need to take the trip North. sorry for the restrictions of the hard working D38 clubs, AMA life member here and will never slag district efforts.

D37 has restrictions and BLM monitoring as well---BUT there is so much more allowable area up there so you get loops like last years very memorable (2015) L2 which was the best flowing/technical/rocky/hard/soft/solid/sandy/washes/side hill/ climbs/descents.  Desert single track in a race I have ever done (@ 40 miles of 2nd and 3rd gear and 1% 1st gear). 

You guys should start thinking now about doing the DMC season opener, Ive done that one a few times and its also a tough/challenging National H&H. Remember these are Nats not a local event. The clubs need to make the Pros work hard too. Always satisfying to complete filled with lots of bench racing stories.

Throw the hat in ring and race Nat B so you do all the loops (I think Bs do all loops 40 and under) see example when I was in 50B in 2012, I moved myself up to A when I was getting regular podiums in the B class (enduros/HS and H&H)

http://www.moto-tally.com/nhha/results.aspx/2012/10/C18/LT

Also note by the mototally stats, finishing is what is important--- see the guy that smoked us all on L1 and L2.......DNF!! no score for L3. I still maintain a 100% finisher rate in Nat H&H competition.

You should step up and race B so you can do all the loops

2013 This one was pisser I fought with for quite while and finally passed Barbosa (3Bros owner) in the more technical stuff after a battle, and even checked his number, thinking he was not in my class, later on the 3rd loop getting nearer to finish he came back by me and said no worry let the guy go and he blasted across the valley and got 2 minutes on me.......as you see he was in my class !!!

http://www.moto-tally.com/nhha/results.aspx/2013/10/C17/CT

Here KenS some ribbon work being done on Loop 3.

Loop 3 looks awesome.  I was pretty beat after the first 2 loops but I would have liked to have been able try that 3rd loop.  

On another note I happen to line up next to Don.  The Legends class (70+ years old) #1 plate holder.  He started racing at 65 and now he is 80 years old and still getting after it! 

20161023_094249.jpg

Here's Justin Morgan's 4th OA run at Loop 3 (Loop Time 37 min), My Loop 3 time 1:20 mins.......

the L2, L3 split is at 2:27   on the hillclimb at 9 minutes was where I passed Quinn Cody with the big Kato