Mikey777

Mondays Don't Always Suck

LB's text:  "Any chance you can take tmrw off to go for a ride"

Me: "Screw work. Let's ride."

LB: " Fu#$ yeah. Thinking about riding out to Ocotillo wells and back."

This is how most rides should start.  Sometimes you just need a mental health day to clear the brain.   

LB and I met up in Ramona on Monday morning at 9:15 a.m..  You couldn't ask for better weather.  It was crisp out, but not cold and the dez temps were going to be in the low 80's.  We rode up to Julian, down Banner Grade and hit dirt at Rodriguez TT.  We had planned on doing some shooting at the BLM land off of Rodriguez, but "No Shooting-Fire Season" signs were posted. It would be bad mojo for an LEO and former firefighter to light up the mountainside.  

We continued on through Oriflamme Creek to Mason TT and out to the S-2.  Good big bike sand practice in this area.  From there we hit the 78 to Yaqui Wells Road/Grapevine over the Montezuma/S-22 and into Borrego Springs for burgers at Carlee's.  Back on the road after a nice little break & hauling a$$ back up Montezuma Grade.  Back onto Grapevine and hung a right at the T heading north and ended back up back on the S-22 in Ranchita.  From there we slabbed the S2 to 79 to the 76 and hit Mesa Grande Road to Black Canyon Road, Forest Rte 12S07, to Pano Road and back into Casa De LB in Ramona from there. Forest Rte 12S07 was being graded and is all silty/chewed up, but still fun riding on. 

LB clocked us in at 160 miles.  No breakdowns, no flats, and one minor stuff into a bank to avoid a gigantic cholla that wanted to impale me with a 1000 tiny needles.  Epic weather, epic views...Monday did not suck.

14495501_10208812205795883_8729837904006591025_n.jpg

14600973_10209281068916488_8947965285467890233_n.jpg

14485048_10208812548404448_5566949856121261631_n.jpg

Cool! :thumbsup_anim: You two had a much "better" Monday than I did...hours in front of a computer, meetings and phone calls...the best part of my Monday was watching the Vikes kick the Giants a$$'s...thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

This one!

Nice.

Thanks!

I call it Monday Funday. We need more of these!

Yes please will have to do again after little rain so they open up shooting out of banner. Don't think I've shot any of  my guns in over a year been too busy riding

We have been talking about a ride and shoot for a while now. On a whim Sunday afternoon, Mikey and I planned this one. Unfortunately, the shooting part didn't happen. Which means we need to plan another one....soon.

21 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

...the best part of my Monday was watching the Vikes kick the Giants a$$'s...

+10 from a lifelong Vikes fan!

Very nice ride.  I was trying to figure out a 8 east > S2 and then???  or a 8 east > 79 > 78 then ??? ride... even if mostly pavement and just checking out a few dirt roads out there.

Do you pick up Rodriguez Truck Trail around Chariot Canyon?

How is that ride down to Rodriguez Truck Trail > Oriflamme Creek >  Mason Truck Trail > S2? 

If it's a bugger I would skip, mixed not too bad I have a look from the bottom up, if reasonable try the down hill route. 

Looks View Yaqui \ Grapevine gets a little trail busy around Volcan.

Any other tips - suggestions? Somewhat rookie effort on a stock KLR, little different skill set than you all :ph34r:. I'm happy to just try bumping along on them a ways as long as I'm comfortable. A loop is better but sometimes just a out and back can still be good. Just riding around in that general area looks fun. I do want to get out that way, was I hoping maybe this weekend but supposed to get hot.

Really Cool and nice pictures :)

Greenhorn:

You are correct.  You pick up Rodriguez TT at Chariot Canyon.  The initial road is shown as California Riding and Hiking Trail on Google Maps and then connects with Rodriguez TT. You will encounter a few closed, but not locked gates along the way.  Just go through and re-latch them as a good neighbor.  Rodriguez TT, Oriflamme, to Mason Valley TT to S2 is big bike friendly, not steep, but with some sand (deep in some areas).  We did not encounter a gate were Mason Valley TT connects with S2 in Anza Borrego. (I believe it is gated where Mason V. TT hits the 79 up top).  Grapevine also has some sandy sections with one or two steeper climbs, but big bike doable.

If you have not ridden in sand, go to McCain Lark ORV and practice in the front areas.  There are usually plenty of people around there to help you if you get hurt or pinned under your bike. In my opinion, solo riding is a bad idea under most circumstances on back country truck trails unless you are a very proficient rider. It always helps to have a buddy if you break down, have a flat, get hurt, get lost, etc.  Jump on a newb group ride as they will come up often this winter.

Mason has always been locked at the 79. Under no circumstances should one go around through the trees to the far left to circumvent the intent of the gate.

Thank you for the follow up. I understand what you’re saying about riding some of this solo, that’s why I might bump around on a trail, but only to a safe comfort level if I’m by myself.

I tried sorting out the route last night, it was a little cryptic not being real familiar with the area. Biggest question was the Yaqui Wells Road/Grapevine reference. I was expecting you went easterly, but it was more of a double back northwest up to Ranchita. That and Montezuma Grade is Montezuma Valley Rd I think.

I’m hoping to sort out some of these type rides (plenty of dirt in addition to black top, a little remote, lots of miles) and get some of the others like myself out there to expand our opportunities and experience while having the support of like skilled and equipped riders. 

Thanks Again

Regarding Yaqui/GV, we took the S2 to the 78 and went east at Scissors Crossing. Veer left at the S3 and your will see the dirt road for Yaqui Wells Road/Grapevine to your left. The trail splits soon after Stuart Spring on Google Maps.  Go right at the fork in the trail going in a northerly direction.  You will come to another T and go right/east and that will take you to the S22/Montezuma Valley Road near Paroli Homesite Campground and south of Culp Valley in the big bend in the road.

On the way back up from Borrego Springs, we got back on Grapevine at the big bend on Montezuma, but rather than retracing our route by going south you can go due west.  You end up hitting a straight dirt road that goes due north/parallel to Wilson Road and connects back to the S22 in Ranchita.

Some parts of Grapevine before Stuart Spring look helter skelter on Google maps, but the actual trail when you are riding it is pretty well defined.  Lots of sand in that area so know your skill level before pushing out too far.

As for a gauge of difficulty, riders are at: full tard, tard, mild tard, not tarded.  I ride at tard/mild tard level and am fortunate to have a buddy who ain't tarded.  I would not recommend GV for full tard or tard riders without a buddy.