dsfox

6th Annual Flying Monkey ADV rally Oct 13-16

I didnt see a link to this, so here it is...Ive attented all 5 previous events in southern Utah...all epic!!!   Great Dual sport event  OCT 13-16.  all bike sizes, all skill levels, affordable camping in the trees ($10/night)   with our 'Flying Monkey'  group at ZION PONDEROSA RESORT (800) 293-5444 . Nice resort with pools, Jacuzzis, showers, restaurant makes this an easy event.   (just E of Zion Nat Park)  various ride groups and options...fall colors on the plateaus of the Dixie Natl Forest     https://www.facebook.com/events/1126542544042858/?ti=cl    check it out and join  us...pm me if you want more Info, dsfox

Deb,

I take it you are going to this year as well. Camping or RV?  I cannot make it out on Thurs so I would be lucky to make it out for the Fri ride. Would it still be worth it for a short weekend?  In the tent area do people have small trailers?  I need to determine if I go with the Toyhauler, small trailer or just the truck. 

hey mike, its a looong drive for a short weekend...from san diego the average is 8-9 hours....the resort is EAST of zion national park.  (personally id only do long trips like that if i can make it a  4 day weekend)...would love to have you...im splitting a big cabin with 8 people this year but lots if guys tent....you could get SMALL trailers up into the group area in the trees. call me if you want to chat about it...cheers, deb

This is a definite maybe for me.  If anyone wants to ride along from SD.  Tentative plan to leave Thursday a.m. at O'dark thirty and return Sunday.  Like super O'dark thirty.  Like... get past L.A. quagmire before it becomes a mess at 6:30am kinda O'dark thirty.  Personally I'd rather leave at 4am and take a nap later than lane split a loaded GS up the 15 for a couple hours.

What else are you going to do.... mow the lawn??  Let's go.

My beast of burden.....

28912617903_390edb7798_k.jpg

Ok.  Booked for the 13-16th.  $36/ttl for 3 nights.  Guess I better change the oil and flush the air in the tires.  Wouldn't want to do a trip like that on stale air.

I wonder when I should tell the wife . . . .

13 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I wonder when I should tell the wife . . . .

Monday...after you're back...:coolio:

Nice Zubb, I haven't met you yet (I don't think?) but I'll see you in Utah!...It's a big event this year....group photo at 8:30 am Saturday morning...cell service sucks up there, but I'm sure we will meet...(not too many lady riders, so introduce yourself). My friend Jacqui will be there, and camping in the trees, (I'll be a bit south in a big cabin house but will hang around camp too)...

ps: I hate returning on sundays, but I need to this year because I'll be up in Utah/AZ strip for a full12 days and need to get back..you may consider an alternate to 15 south on sunday?     [on Sundays, I have vowed to never drive on the 15  through vegas and Barstow...so I ALWAYS take the long way around (15 is a parking lot on sundays)....take the 95 south through Searchlight and the desert, Amboy, drop down the 62 to the 10 etc.....I go way out of my way to keep moving and not sit in traffic....sure it adds some time, but not really with the traffic...]

1 hour ago, dsfox said:

Nice Zubb, I haven't met you yet (I don't think?) but I'll see you in Utah!...It's a big event this year....group photo at 8:30 am Saturday morning...cell service sucks up there, but I'm sure we will meet...(not too many lady riders, so introduce yourself). My friend Jacqui will be there, and camping in the trees, (I'll be a bit south in a big cabin house but will hang around camp too)...

ps: I hate returning on sundays, but I need to this year because I'll be up in Utah/AZ strip for a full12 days and need to get back..you may consider an alternate to 15 south on sunday?     [on Sundays, I have vowed to never drive on the 15  through vegas and Barstow...so I ALWAYS take the long way around (15 is a parking lot on sundays)....take the 95 south through Searchlight and the desert, Amboy, drop down the 62 to the 10 etc.....I go way out of my way to keep moving and not sit in traffic....sure it adds some time, but not really with the traffic...]

Yes, I'm a noob to the group as I just traded off the Ducati for a GS.  I'll be in a solo backpacking tent somewhere in the pile of tenters.  

Thanks for the tip on coming home, I'll probably circle back with you on that topic.  I still think I'm gonna get outta SD long before the traffic builds in Temecula and beyond, but coming home.... I don't mind lane splitting but doing it for 2+ hours get's old quick.  Thanks for posting up here, I'm glad to have spotted this event.  It's exactly what I wanted to do as I get used to the GS off tarmac.

I'm guessing the Metzler Tourance tires will suffice for this trip.  I have Big Blocks on wheels that are about 60% worn and am guessing that's not a great idea for this trip due to high speed freeway riding both ways for this distance.  I've never run them yet.  Any comments from the gallery on this would be appreciated as easier stated, I'm a total noob to dual sporting and have had the bike w/ extra wheel set for a whopping 6 weeks or so.

Advice: (Since you asked), Take some nice pics of the bike now. It will probably never look that good again. My bike was almost perfect when I got it, not so much now. It doesn't help that its allergic to soap.

2 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Advice: (Since you asked), Take some nice pics of the bike now. It will probably never look that good again. My bike was almost perfect when I got it, not so much now. It doesn't help that its allergic to soap.

sage advice.!

Just like every adventure planned... I now have a conflict.  Time will tell if I can clear it and make the trip.  :unsure:

All You People showing up at the Flying Monkey,,,, We Hate that we are not with you !!!

Weather looks nasty going across NV tomorrow, I may not make it.