Greenhorn

(Follow Up) Saturday Morning 9/17 Dual Sport Ride

Got things started fairly early, leaving about 7:15 am. I went up to Sunrise Highway via OH80 and Vejas Grade to start. Tried to put a little extra in it on the way up Vejas Grade when the coast was clear, not like I really saw anyone but I go cautious on blind corners. 

Down Buckman Springs over to SheepHead Mountain Road which should have been Kitchen Creek Road as the goal was Cibbets Flat Camp Ground and it’s off Kitchen Creek Road and not SheepHead Mountain Road.

SheepHead Mountain Road is rocky. From the looks of the google map I went up about 2/3 of the way to the top (to the thumb). It was bit of a challenging but fun. I stopped for a sec (at the thumb) to take things in and decided it would be best with company as I was getting a bit out there and maybe a little more geared up if going forward was like behind. For an amateur like me it was a point and hope you keep the line you picked, that it was decent one and not too much or too little on the throttle. Then it was just  grunt, bounce and hold on. Been a while and what it was, was much lighter back in the day.

This was not the only "not knowing where I was", "was supposed to be" either.

Went back up Buckman to Sunrise highway and did a little geology. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do. Saw a few things, lots of stuff to sort out.

Milky Quartz

100_2478.JPG

Milky Quartz in Pegmatitic Granite

100_2480.JPG

Went up top to Mount Laguna and out to Julian, couldn’t find Engineer Rd from Julian (know where it’s at down at the Lake Cuyamaca end). Ended up out at Wynola which is a nice area. I get Julian is good for pie and all, but too many people up there.

Down to Lake Cuyamaca the same old way on 79. As ThumperBob suggested Milk Ranch – Middle Peak Fire Road is gated. Passed another one on the right below Green Valley Falls and it was gated too.

That was about that, down to Descanso, Vejas Grade, OH 80 and home. Good 125 miles + so I’ve clear 600 and now I get extra RPM’s. I do need to get my navigation issues sorted out one way or another.

Going to Sedona AZ next week, I wish I could bring my KLR along. I looked and you can rent a bike near Sedona, but only HD’s and I’ve never ridden anything like that. We'll see.

Sounds like you had a great ride. Thanks for sharing with us. I too am interested in geology. We will have to get a ride going after you get back from Sedona.

Sounds nice Patrick, I did a ride Friday. We back roaded it to PV- pine ceek/deer park- to sunrise hwy, had dinner by the lake ( food was good, but it took an hour to get it ), then Engineers to Boulder creek and back way home. Good times. 

image.jpeg

Sounds like my kind of ride! Thanks for sharing the story. I like to ride on sundays in those areas.