BriKman

Building my own pool... tips, advice suggestions needed.

Got a wild hair to build my own pool. Obviously I understand it would be easier to hire a contractor, and I get the time vs money vs quality equation. I work from home so have the time/ability to manage the project and hopefully save a few bucks (to spend on my dirtbike affliction). Before I jump in (pun intended) figured I would check on this board for advice. Anyone built their own pool, would you do it again, got any subs you would recommend?

I don't know the first thing about building a swimming pool (or much of anything else!), but I've been in California long enough to guess that getting a permit could be an ordeal. I would hire a licensed contractor to at least write a set of plans and get a permit, then go from there on how much of the work you can do yourself. An underground pool seems like something that could cause major problems if done wrong, so I bet there's a long list of rules and regs to wade through.

Ambitious project - good luck!!

I want to do that too. I just figured I would get a 40 yard dumpster, plumb it, bury in the yard put in a rubber pond liner, and jump in.

Campo isn't actually in America (at least that's what my ex said), so I could get away with it.

I plastered pools in my younger days, let me know when you get to that point.

They make you get a permit and inspection just to demo a pool in Kalifornia. 

Start by digging a big hole.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/

Read, read, read. Check licenses, workers comp and liability insurance, etc. Everybody that steps foot on your property can put a lien against it - get lien releases signed by every sub. I could go on and on but as with any project, make sure EVERY detail is covered. We hired a contractor and ended up being our own site manager on the project because the subs weren't getting the full package and details of their responsibilities.

We made 'em tear out the Jacuzzi plumbing because it wasn't right, etc. In the end, when the county inspector came for the final, only 3 things had been signed off. Checked the hard copies on the pool equipment, same 3. I had over 350 pics of the project with measurements and all. The inspector was very cool and sat with me - "zoom in on that..." SIGNED, next...

I called the contractor and told him what happened and how much I saved him by not having to dig stuff up for inspection......and told him he wasn't getting his final $3500 payment. He agreed.

It's an undertaking.

5 hours ago, Oracle said:

Start by digging a big hole.

Let's ride up, set up our chairs, and watch while drinking beers

15 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

Let's ride up, set up our chairs, and watch while drinking beers

...and give more complimentary advise!

My dad built ours literally, brother in law did the backhoe. It was a semi above ground, only about a foot above, liner type. He did the whole thing, full size, was about 8' deep in the deep end. Had a fantastic deck around it, big walk in pump house. He went with the semi above ground as there was an easement in the back yard with power lines and for a built in you had to have no water straight down and X amount of feet left and right. Don't think it was permitted.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:52 PM, Bri-Man said:

Got a wild hair to build my own pool. Obviously I understand it would be easier to hire a contractor, and I get the time vs money vs quality equation. I work from home so have the time/ability to manage the project and hopefully save a few bucks (to spend on my dirtbike affliction). Before I jump in (pun intended) figured I would check on this board for advice. Anyone built their own pool, would you do it again, got any subs you would recommend?

Bri-Man:  Am I seeing you tomorrow night?  The name and location sure sound familiar :)

If not, PM me and I will give you some honest answers.  It all comes down to the subs and paying attention.  From there it is easy...........

So the coincidence remains: just got back from Hidden Meadows and meeting Brian (who I thought you may have been) and found out there's a couple of guys named Brian (I am obviously making the assumption you're named Brian by your screen name) looking to build pools up there.

Depending where you are located, there is obviously a lot of rock up there (you guys have a lot of blue granite-very hard!) which is always a concern.  Sometimes you can build around it and some times you need to blast if you find it in the dig.  Be prepared to make changes/adjustments if you start to see rocks appear during excavation.  The sooner you can make changes the better (excavators are not cheap).  The rest of the project should go pretty easy with the right subs.

I'm a licensed C-53 (License 969351) pool builder and have been building pools since 1995 and am happy to answer any questions you may have before you venture off on this (I am not looking for work, just offering to help a fellow bike brother).  PM me if I can help.

-Bruce

On September 25, 2016 at 9:56 PM, simicrintz said:

So the coincidence remains: just got back from Hidden Meadows and meeting Brian (who I thought you may have been) and found out there's a couple of guys named Brian (I am obviously making the assumption you're named Brian by your screen name) looking to build pools up there.

Depending where you are located, there is obviously a lot of rock up there (you guys have a lot of blue granite-very hard!) which is always a concern.  Sometimes you can build around it and some times you need to blast if you find it in the dig.  Be prepared to make changes/adjustments if you start to see rocks appear during excavation.  The sooner you can make changes the better (excavators are not cheap).  The rest of the project should go pretty easy with the right subs.

I'm a licensed C-53 (License 969351) pool builder and have been building pools since 1995 and am happy to answer any questions you may have before you venture off on this (I am not looking for work, just offering to help a fellow bike brother).  PM me if I can help.

-Bruce

Bruce, PM in bound, looking forward to speaking with you.