Well after numerous spills, bumps and bruises I've decided to take a lesson in the mountains on better single track techniques.  I'll be up by Georgetown this weekend and Kelly Knight is going to be my instructor.  I'll write a review after and give my opinion on what I learned.  To start off I've upgraded my protection by leaps.  1. Troy Lee SE 3 helmet 2. New googles that are in 1 piece (100%) 3. Leatt 5.5 body protector 4. Troy Lee ultra protective shirt (wear under my 5.5 protector) 5. Klim Dakar in boot pant (my old pants would not stay up) 6. EVS SX01 knee braces 7. Alpinestars tech 3 at boots  8. Handlebars with a 1" 1/2" rise (I'm 6'4 & the old one were bent from the bike coming off the trailer) 9. New rear trials tire (Kenda Equilibrium trials & enduro hybrid tire).  Ok that's it for now but will update on the coming weekend.  Thanks

Dude - What sizes did you go with on the Leatt body protector and the knee brace? Thx.

good morning arjayes.  I'm 200 lbs 6'4.  XL on both the 5.5 and Knee braces.  The braces seem snug but not a problem just make sure that the top straps are loose or they may bind your lower thigh area & wear a knee brace sock.  If they made XXL I think I'd have ordered those. These braces are not the heavy duty ones but they do lock out to prevent hyper extending your knee.  The only problem with the 5.5 is getting it off the arms.  After you unzip it you have to do some weird pulling on the material and bending over it to get it off.  Heck may be I just need a lesson on that also.  It does give me great protection all round especially on my rib area which seems to take a beating every time I fall.

Motorcyclists don't fall, they crash. Dam kid get it straight. Nice you stepped up to the plate on protection. Get a Golden Fattie front tire, you will thank me later.

3 hours ago, deltadude said:

good morning arjayes.  I'm 200 lbs 6'4.  XL on both the 5.5 and Knee braces.  The braces seem snug but not a problem just make sure that the top straps are loose or they may bind your lower thigh area & wear a knee brace sock.  If they made XXL I think I'd have ordered those. These braces are not the heavy duty ones but they do lock out to prevent hyper extending your knee.  The only problem with the 5.5 is getting it off the arms.  After you unzip it you have to do some weird pulling on the material and bending over it to get it off.  Heck may be I just need a lesson on that also.  It does give me great protection all round especially on my rib area which seems to take a beating every time I fall.

Thanks for the info! I have Leatt knee guards but would like to upgrade to braces without spending a fortune.

I know what you mean these braces only cost $90 each. Well I bought a Maxxis Cross IT and it's still new that was before I heard of the G-Fatty but that will be the next one.

Ok took my lesson yesterday up by Georgetown and learned a bunch.  First Kelly from Sierra Dualsport placed his bike on a stand to go over the basises. Our lesson began around 11am and finished around 3pm dirty and tired.

This is what we covered before getting on with the ride:

1. Correct body position while standing. 2. Throttle & clutch control. 3. Elbows up so as not to produce "whiskey throttle" 4. Fingers covering the clutch and front brake levers. 5. Use of slipping the clutch in tight spots. 6. Toe ALWAYS covering the brake pedal. 7. Eyes looking forward not directly in front of you. 8. Help in both ascending & descending hills. Some of this I knew but was not actively practicing because of just plain laziness.

Great, with that done now was the time to get dirty & boy did we, I took this lesson with a friend named Nate, we are about at the same level of riding skills, both have KTM 350 exc-f's but he has a recluse on his.  Both of us ride when we can so that might be once every 2 to 4 weeks when work/life allows. Kelly's mix of trails was perfect, some technical which involved rock face, tight singletrack uphill & downhill mixed with rolling swooping singletrack and fire roads. Each time we completed a trail we stopped and rested while talking over what we did to complete the ride & how we felt. The price was $200 each and both Nate and I were satisfied with the price.  Kelly was on time, friendly, knowledgeable about the terrain, bikes, skills needed & explaining them.         

My disclaimer: I have never met Kelly before this ride & he never asked me to review him.  This is my honest option. Yes I would recommend him if someone is in the Sierra or Georgetown area and wanted to either dualsport the gold country or the Sierra's or just needed a lesson I'd give Kelly a call at 530-748-3505.

Thanks DD